Lacquer type Sonor force 3007

aouellet

Hi, I plan to refinish my Sonor Force 3007 in satin black (with a friend who is experiment in painting...) But I would like to know what type of lacquer that Sonor use on those drums, was that polyeuretane, nitrocellulos...? So we can figure the type of lacquer thinner we need... And I also wonder if using chimical is the good way to go, or should I just sand the shell... Thx!

Regardless of what it is, finishes get soaked into the wood. No amount of thinner will get it out. You can remove it with sanding, but you have now removed wood and any imperfections you create will show on the new finish.

Wrapping the drums would be easier.

Regardless of what it is, finishes get soaked into the wood. No amount of thinner will get it out. You can remove it with sanding, but you have now removed wood and any imperfections you create will show on the new finish.

Wrapping the drums would be easier.
I dont think I need to remove that much, I want to paint it in black anywa, I dont care for the under color ... I just thought it would have been a good Idea to remove a bit of lacquer and then airbrush it with black... That way I think I would not lose that much of sound quality, make sens?

I dont think I need to remove that much, I want to paint it in black anywa, I dont care for the under color ... I just thought it would have been a good Idea to remove a bit of lacquer and then airbrush it with black... That way I think I would not lose that much of sound quality, make sens?

Makes sense yes, but you can't mix types. For example, water based paint won't adhere to oil based paint, so on and so forth. Anything that is stuck in the grain will cause problems unless the base is the same.

Sand, prime then re-paint, lacquer, sand, lacquer, sand, lacquer, sand, get bored and go and get a puppy. Return to the project and lacquer again and sand a bit more. Have a few children, learn the bagpipes and then lacquer and sand some more. If you really like the idea of it being black. To be honest though, black finishes are very hard to get right. Second only to white...

Back