La Bicycletta

Xstr8edgtnrdrmrX

Diamond Member
I just read this article:

What say you, bike people? Should Walmart stop selling bikes to those who just want a bike and arent serious riders? I get the gripe, but average kids mom and dad arent going to buy a $500 first bike that he might not even ride. Would removing cheap bikes from department stores deter folks from wanting to ride a bike?

I think that after a few lawsuits from parents whose kids got really messed up by riding the pot metal, duct tape welded Wal Trash toye bikes, tey might change their mind

cleverly, they put a very small disclaimer sticker on the bike warning against riding in legit ssituations, and that is their out for this

So yes, they should....but they won't, becasue the almighty dollar is the most important thing.

Hell if I was a bike mechanic, I would want these things to stay around b/c that right there is a steady flow of work/income...though, a lot of shops will not work on bikes that weren't purchased there now-a-days

baz

Silver Member
Hola dot comrades.

just converted my Kona Jake the snake from a 2x11 to a 1x11 drivetrain.

I took the cheap and easy route which involved removing my front derailer and 46 tooth chain ring, replacing it with the 36.

I rode this bike through the winter on the 36 and really came to like the feel. I could have just left it as it was but by getting rid of the big ring and front derailer, my bike is cleaner, simpler, and with an 11-42 rear cassette, l still have a lot of range for the cycling that l do.

With gasoline at $1.65 per litre, and spring almost but not quite here, l plan on putting as much mileage as I can on two wheels.

She who must be obeyed told me no more new drums and no more new bikes so my best option is to turn my old into something almost new.

Have a great weekend all, and stay safe.

Ride bikes and play drums.

Barry6256E9BB-95C2-4441-A0E9-EE3506BA223B.jpeg377DB992-D43B-4882-A4C3-680CB48231E1.jpeg

Xstr8edgtnrdrmrX

Diamond Member
Hola dot comrades.

I took the cheap and easy route which involved removing my front derailer and 46 tooth chain ring, replacing it with the 36.

I rode this bike through the winter on the 36 and really came to like the feel. I could have just left it as it was but by getting rid of the big ring and front derailer, my bike is cleaner, simpler, and with an 11-42 rear cassette, l still have a lot of range for the cycling that l do.

With gasoline at $1.65 per litre, and spring almost but not quite here, l plan on putting as much mileage as I can on two wheels.

She who must be obeyed told me no more new drums and no more new bikes so my best option is to turn my old into something almost new.

Have a great weekend all, and stay safe.

Ride bikes and play drums.

BarryView attachment 116162View attachment 116163

that is great!! I want to do that with my 1994 Trek 830...make it my more simple to use as a commuter

it is Spring Break for me, so other thaqn drumming, I have also been out on dirt every day!! Logged 100 or so miles this week on my trusty OG Green Surly Krampus. The trails were "hero dirt" on Weds and Thurs

IMG_3420.jpg

rhumbagirl

Looks great. So the chain ring replace - did it only involve the 5 screws (and removal of the pedals?), or did you have to remove the crank too?

If you've been following the thread, you're aware I am in the process of putting together a second bike, a 26er, incorporating a freehub, because of so many issues with axles bending on my current freewheel 2003 DiamondBack Sorrento MTB. Over the last couple of months I've narrowed down on the 15" 26er Specialized Stumpjumper FS design. After failed attempts at buying on ebay, I decided I would look at buying junk bikes and pulling the parts I need. I bought a measuring caliper. Seat tube diameter, handlebar diameter, fork head tube diameter, etc. So far I've seen about a 50% success ratio on ordered parts, from the item description to the actual shipped part, from tires to rims to bicycle frames. For returns, Amazon is the easiest to deal with, ebay is second. On the free market it's your bank's transaction dispute department. I'm in the middle of a 90-day dispute right now over a $200 set of 26er wheels.

Anyway, long story short is, I found Facebook marketplace (yay) and then snatched up a steal on a 15" Specialized Hardrock for $100 cash. I then got a 13" Gary Fisher frame on ebay that I can transfer the Specialized parts to. Sounds like a small frame, but for some reason it has the top tube length that I need. As for stack, that might be my learning experience. If there's not enough height in the stack, then there goes your standup riding experience. And I don't yet know if a longer head stem (with steep angle) will be enough to makeup the difference.

UPDATE: Since installing the WheelsManufacturing 10x1x146 4130 steel axle, onto my rear freewheel hub, I've yet to see any issues with axle bend. But it's only been a couple of months.

Last edited:
Reactions: baz

rhumbagirl

that is great!! I want to do that with my 1994 Trek 830...make it my more simple to use as a commuter

it is Spring Break for me, so other thaqn drumming, I have also been out on dirt every day!! Logged 100 or so miles this week on my trusty OG Green Surly Krampus. The trails were "hero dirt" on Weds and Thurs

View attachment 116199
Nice bike and color! I may have to give up one day and join the rest of you in the new world order of 29ers and 700c. It just doesn't look like you can stand up and lean forward uphill with that short head stem. And what is that - no suspension on front fork??

baz

Silver Member
Looks great. So the chain ring replace - did it only involve the 5 screws (and removal of the pedals?), or did you have to remove the crank too?

If you've been following the thread, you're aware I am in the process of putting together a second bike, a 26er, incorporating a freehub, because of so many issues with axles bending on my current freewheel 2003 DiamondBack Sorrento MTB. Over the last couple of months I've narrowed down on the 15" 26er Specialized Stumpjumper FS design. After failed attempts at buying on ebay, I decided I would look at buying junk bikes and pulling the parts I need. I bought a measuring caliper. Seat tube diameter, handlebar diameter, fork head tube diameter, etc. So far I've seen about a 50% success ratio on ordered parts, from the item description to the actual shipped part, from tires to rims to bicycle frames. For returns, Amazon is the easiest to deal with, ebay is second. On the free market it's your bank's transaction dispute department. I'm in the middle of a 90-day dispute right now over a $200 set of 26er wheels.

Anyway, long story short is, I found Facebook marketplace (yay) and then snatched up a steal on a 15" Specialized Hardrock for $100 cash. I then got a 13" Gary Fisher frame on ebay that I can transfer the Specialized parts to. Sounds like a small frame, but for some reason it has the top tube length that I need. As for stack, that might be my learning experience. If there's not enough height in the stack, then there goes your standup riding experience. And I don't yet know if a longer head stem (with steep angle) will be enough to makeup the difference.

UPDATE: Since installing the WheelsManufacturing 10x1x146 4130 steel axle, onto my rear freewheel hub, I've yet to see any issues with axle bend. But it's only been a couple of months.
Hola Rhumba

can’t wait to see your new build and l envy you for your tenacity. Doing bike mods is like drilling holes in my drums, lots of anxiety untill l cross that point of no return. Changing the ring was the easiest cheapest way for my conversion. I had to remove the chain in order to remove the front derailer then it was a simple matter of swapping my 36 tooth inner ring with the 46 and reconnecting the chain. I also removed the cable so l had to rewrap my handlebars as well. I had to buy a new set of crank bolts as the old ones were too big and would not snug up tight enough. My rear cassette is an 11-42 tooth, just like on the bike l bought last year so l have plenty of range. I will lose some top end speed, but at my age, speed is not necessarily my friend. We still have a lot of slush and ice along my bike routes so l am keeping my winter tires on for a while.

When you talk about your axle bending, l an trying to picture what you mean. Do you run a threaded axle, a through axle, or skewers? I have become a fan of through axles, mainly because of their strength and simplicity. This bike of mine has a through axle in the front and a skewer on the back. This allows me to attach a hitch so l can tour my Granddaughter around in her chariot.

keep us posted regarding your progress. You are an inspiration to this old tinker.

stay safe and ride ride ride.

Barry
When you

baz

Silver Member

View attachment 116199
Hola X

Still a couple of weeks away before the dirt thaws, turns to mud, then becomes old guy ride friendly in my little corner of Heaven. That is one nice bike you have there. Love steel, but a mountain bike would be wasted on me. My first bike was a hybrid. My thinking at the time was that l would do around 60-40;road and dirt but my reality is more 95 road with the 5% dirt mainly avoiding dog walkers and joggers who can’t hear my bell because of their headphones.

Enjoy your spring break. Still waiting on spring here.

Barry

rhumbagirl

Do you run a threaded axle, a through axle, or skewers?
Skewers, although I did try a solid threaded rear axle to no avail - they tend to scuff up the dropouts too much for my liking.
dog walkers and joggers who can’t hear my bell because of their headphones.
Same here. When I was in Portland, they tended to get animated. "Bicycle path", to which I'd reply "Cars"! Here in Alabama it's all cool.

Xstr8edgtnrdrmrX

Diamond Member
Nice bike and color! I may have to give up one day and join the rest of you in the new world order of 29ers and 700c.

thanks!!! I love this bike...it is my Swiss Army Bike...I use it for everything. And you should seriously check out Surly if you are gonna move to a newer bike. Their commuter bikes - well - ALL of their bikes are solid!!. I am telling you, the wheel size DOES NOT affect the actual bike fit...I have been following your project in this thread, and am willing to bet that, in the end, you will have spent just about the same amount of money trying to frankenstiiine a bike together as you would have getting a modern bike that will absolutely fulfill your needs...as I read your posts, I am secretly saying (just get a Surly. Just get a Surly...)

but I also get the desire to wrench on your own bike, b/c I do that too

It just doesn't look like you can stand up and lean forward uphill with that short head stem.

I almost always "stand and mash" as I climb. It is a leftover from my BMX days growing up. WE never sat down to ride....the Krampus is like a big BMX bike to me. So yeah, you can definitely do that. You just have to go through a small period of adjusting. I actually get made fun of by my younger riding companions b/c they all sit while they climb, which to me is a total misuse of your musclles

And what is that - no suspension on front fork??

yep. I hate suspension...HATE IT!!! On both front and back. It is cheating to me. My arms, legs and core is my suspension - again, from BMX - so all the times I have tried suspension, it makes me feel like the bike is broken. It makes me use more energy than I need to...and if I can't feel every bump on the trail, I don't feel connected to it...I take "less safe" lines...the tire pressure is the first shock absorber. I keep my tires at about 12psi...that absorbs most of the small chatter

plus, when I bikepack, I want s few thigns on the bike to break as I can have...and suspension is just more things to worry about on that front

Xstr8edgtnrdrmrX

Diamond Member
Hola X

Still a couple of weeks away before the dirt thaws, turns to mud, then becomes old guy ride friendly in my little corner of Heaven. That is one nice bike you have there. Love steel, but a mountain bike would be wasted on me. My first bike was a hybrid. My thinking at the time was that l would do around 60-40;road and dirt but my reality is more 95 road with the 5% dirt mainly avoiding dog walkers and joggers who can’t hear my bell because of their headphones.

Enjoy your spring break. Still waiting on spring here.

Barry

Hola Baz!!!

We have - sadly - gone through the thaw...winter is pretty much over here. Winter is my most favorite time to ride, so I get...well...Surly, when the snow and cold goes away. I will ride until the temps start staying in the 80's, and then I hibernate...or just complain a lot when my friends talk me into riding (cause I do love to ride).

I only ride on the road if I am forced to while commuting...which I do more of in the spring and summer b/c I don't have to wear dress clothes to work. Luckily, that Surly is my jack of all trades bike. I do have an older, beater bike from the 90's that I sometimes commute on, but it is usually the Surly. I would mmuch rather be on dirt, away from the cars, busses, strollers, 4 a breast joggers with ear buds in....bruh

I am lucky enough that my 52 year old body is still rugged enough to take the rigors of firt riding. And part oof my dirt riding is to keep my body in shape for as long as possible. Granted, I don't do 10' drops ,and jumps over cars anymore,, but I still get air at skateparks on my BMX....that is still addicting

Reactions: baz

baz

Silver Member
Perfect bike conditions.6F5BE873-13E6-48C9-A7B7-897A8F95DE6C.jpegBAD99144-64CC-450D-B030-B8BD9A27C02A.jpeg

Took a trip on our regional county trail to the neighboring community of Fort Saskatchewan.
Half paved half gravel. Downhill on the way there, nut buster on the way back.

My little G Dot is getting too big for her chariot but it is still the best way to playground hop around here.

Stay safe and enjoy your weather

barry