La Bicycletta

Old PIT Guy

i love the look of single speeds!!!

I thought about building one a few years back, but I already have my BMX, and use that as my neighborhood bike.And before my heart attack, I was goign to turn my mountain bike into a SS....but now, I need the gears so I don't blow up my heart...though a big part of me still wants to try SS fitness

There's something to the simplicity of crank -> chain -> single cog .. it's a thing! It's a nice ride, too. The White FW has a lot of points of engagement internally -- several more than a typical freewheel. You get a nano second of spin before you engage. It also sounds like a beehive when you pedal backwards going down a hill - ZEEEEEEEEE - it's pretty loud. People turn to look. I had one of those incidents myself, so I know what you mean. I wear a HR monitor and if the ticker starts to skip around I back off.

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member
cool...I didn't know if you were gonna be hitting singletrack or some rougher stuff

front derailleurs always suck. I don't think I have ever owned a bike with one that didn't stop working 6 months in...my current bike just has one chainring up front now on purpose b/c of that..
Been thinking about just not having a front derailleur. My crank has 3 gears. Can I get away with not having a derailleur without going to a single chainring? I never shifted the front anyhow, only the rear gears. I just left the front shifter in 3.

K Chez

There's something to the simplicity of crank -> chain -> single cog .. it's a thing! It's a nice ride, too. The White FW has a lot of points of engagement internally -- several more than a typical freewheel. You get a nano second of spin before you engage. It also sounds like a beehive when you pedal backwards going down a hill - ZEEEEEEEEE - it's pretty loud. People turn to look. I had one of those incidents myself, so I know what you mean. I wear a HR monitor and if the ticker starts to skip around I back off.

Could never get down with that cassette hub sound. Being a flatlander, I'm always been on a freecoaster which is silent, as is the rest of the bike. It has to be 100% dialed or I'll lose my mind.

Xstr8edgtnrdrmrX

Been thinking about just not having a front derailleur. My crank has 3 gears. Can I get away with not having a derailleur without going to a single chainring? I never shifted the front anyhow, only the rear gears. I just left the front shifter in 3.

yep...pretty much what I did/do since the front derailleur on my old Trek broke...

KamaK

Platinum Member

Yes and no. When you look at your 3-gear set, you'll see that every N'th tooth is a catch/shift tooth. It's the sort of thing that you would make work if you were 20-miles-to-nowhere and your front derailleur broke. If your front gears are bolted/casted, and not stamped/riveted, you can likely obtain a replacement single-gear online.

This is one of the things that drew me to Vitus. Instead of using two piece-of-shit derailleurs on their economy models, they take a barebones approach of a single echelon-above-a-piece-of-shit derailleur. Their Nucleus line is the Yamaha Stage Custom of hardtail MTBs.

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member
Yes and no. When you look at your 3-gear set, you'll see that every N'th tooth is a catch/shift tooth.
I've never noticed that before. Good to know. Guess I'll need to keep the front derailleur then.

baz

Silver Member
7922F655-4A81-4863-98B5-1F28034ABB73.jpeg
for my G Pa bike, l converted it to a single front ring with an eleven gear rear cassette. This is a 2014 Kona Splice Deluxe, my first decent bike ever. l ride this bike through the winter, or when l am hauling my little G Dot around in her chariot, as it is the one that has the best handling for iffy conditions. Other than that l am much more of a road bike guy.

spring is looming and the bike trails are calling.

stay safe and ride on

Barry

Xstr8edgtnrdrmrX

View attachment 101446
for my G Pa bike, l converted it to a single front ring with an eleven gear rear cassette. This is a 2014 Kona Splice Deluxe, my first decent bike ever. l ride this bike through the winter, or when l am hauling my little G Dot around in her chariot, as it is the one that has the best handling for iffy conditions. Other than that l am much more of a road bike guy.

spring is looming and the bike trails are calling.

stay safe and ride on

Barry

I love one up front!! Looking to do the same with my 1994 Trek that is becoming my paved trail bike...Will have to only go 10 in back due to size issues. That is my spring project

from the past weekend...reveling in the first real winter we have had here in 17 years:

trailblazing is brutal...we were the first out this past weekend
sno1.jpg

while it looks like I went head over bars, I was actually just soaking in the wintery goodness
sno2.jpg

baz

Silver Member
I love one up front!! Looking to do the same with my 1994 Trek that is becoming my paved trail bike...Will have to only go 10 in back due to size issues. That is my spring project

from the past weekend...reveling in the first real winter we have had here in 17 years:

trailblazing is brutal...we were the first out this past weekend
View attachment 101450

while it looks like I went head over bars, I was actually just soaking in the wintery goodness
View attachment 101451

in a strange sort of way, l envy you.

Although for me to go slogging through all that snow would take all the Canadian l could muster.

enjoy

Barry

wraub

Here's a bike for trips on ice- :D
1614181062714.png

Reactions: baz