La Bicycletta

Xstr8edgtnrdrmrX

It has been really nice out over Christmas week

got the heavy duty continental studded winter tires on so l am feeling a little more confident about my traction and handling.View attachment 99462

Stay safe all and adios 2020

Barry

there is soooo much awesome in that pic!!!!

we actually got our first real snow in 3 years on Christmas Eve, which was the ultimate present for me, so of course, I had to go ride in it:

12:24:20#1 copy.jpg

12:24:20#2 copy.jpg

and then on the day after Christmas as well...legit trail riding

12:26:20#3 copy.JPG

12:26:20#2.jpg

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member
I bought a bike to ride to college. I put about 2000 miles on it, actually had to change the tires because they were bald. I like riding a bike, but not like y'all die hards. I wont even mention what it is because it isnt some Trek, Specialized, etc.

Bikes are huge here. If you ride something that isnt bought at a bike shop ridicule ensues.
Since I have to do that stupid diet in case my BP is actually high, I decided that I would start riding my bike again. It's been living outside for the past 5 years. The pawls were all stuck, the chain rusted into a single shape, the derailleurs frozen. I just spent 4 hours with PB Blaster getting everything back in working order. I think I'm just gonna have the shifters/derailleurs replaced though. They never really worked right, and I dont like the twist shift anyhow. I'd rather have old school thumb shifters. Other than that I need a new front tire and I'm good to go.

I know I said I wouldnt say what it is, but its served me well in the past so I might as well. It's a 29" Mongoose Deception. Yes I know, its chinese. I dont care, so are my drums.

wraub

I know many swear by them, but I dislike grip shifters too. Under-bar thumb shifters ftw. ;)
A good chain lube is TriFlow- it works well ime in dusty areas. I don't have any experience using it in snow, but it's been fine on the rare rainy rides. Try some before you replace things, it may help.

Since I have to do that stupid diet in case my BP is actually high, I decided that I would start riding my bike again. It's been living outside for the past 5 years. The pawls were all stuck, the chain rusted into a single shape, the derailleurs frozen. I just spent 4 hours with PB Blaster getting everything back in working order. I think I'm just gonna have the shifters/derailleurs replaced though. They never really worked right, and I dont like the twist shift anyhow. I'd rather have old school thumb shifters. Other than that I need a new front tire and I'm good to go.

I know I said I wouldnt say what it is, but its served me well in the past so I might as well. It's a 29" Mongoose Deception. Yes I know, its chinese. I dont care, so are my drums.

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member
A good chain lube is TriFlow- it works well ime in dusty areas. I don't have any experience using it in snow, but it's been fine on the rare rainy rides.
Surprisingly the PB Blaster was able to loosen the rusty chain and it is acting normal once again. I'll check out the TriFlow. I live on a dirt road so dusty is the norm.

Xstr8edgtnrdrmrX

I remember when Mongeese were the cream of the crop....too bad what happened to that company!!

It might actually be less expensive to get a new better bike than to re-part that one....how old is it? I know this b/c 7 years ago I thought I would do the same thing with my 25 year old Trek, and just to get a more up to date drive train was going to cost me more than I paid for the bike...and it's resale value.

It was also hard to find some of the parts due to the age of the bike....but it was also surprisingly easy to find others...

the used market can be a great place to pick up something for 2-400 dollars that some one else bought new for 800-1000 dollars

MntnMan62

Ah biking. I enjoy a good bike ride. But I'm a fair weather rider. Once the temps fall below 50 degrees, I begin my hybernation. I'm not proud of it. It just is. My road bike is a Motobecane, circa mid-2000's with the frame made in Taiwan (not France). The best part of it is the full Ultegra kit. The mountain bike is a Schwin Mesa GSX, circa around 2000. I upgraded it over the first few years after buying it as I got better at riding the trails. First upgrade was a Marzocchi Bomber Z4 fork. Upgraded the entire drivetrain to Shimano LX to match the rear derailleur. Bars, stem and seatpost are now Titec and the rims are Sun Rhynolites. I just bought a Specialized Phenom Expert saddle for it to match the one I have on the road bike and to entice me to ride it more. Come spring I hope to take it out on the trails again. I'd upload pictures but I can't seem to shake the error messages about my file being too large.

Xstr8edgtnrdrmrX

Ah biking. I enjoy a good bike ride. But I'm a fair weather rider. Once the temps fall below 50 degrees, I begin my hybernation. I'm not proud of it. It just is. My road bike is a Motobecane, circa mid-2000's with the frame made in Taiwan (not France). The best part of it is the full Ultegra kit. The mountain bike is a Schwin Mesa GSX, circa around 2000. I upgraded it over the first few years after buying it as I got better at riding the trails. First upgrade was a Marzocchi Bomber Z4 fork. Upgraded the entire drivetrain to Shimano LX to match the rear derailleur. Bars, stem and seatpost are now Titec and the rims are Sun Rhynolites. I just bought a Specialized Phenom Expert saddle for it to match the one I have on the road bike and to entice me to ride it more. Come spring I hope to take it out on the trails again. I'd upload pictures but I can't seem to shake the error messages about my file being too large.

I am the opposite!!! Above 50 is mostly too warm for me to ride....I might do 60, but after that, I lose interest real quick! I love to ride in the snow too, though we don't get much here...but 60 and blow is perfect shorts, t-shirt and "no sweating" weather....invigorating! Plus, there are less people on the trails and the scenery is way more pretty to me.

In the fall, winter and early spring, I can ride for 3-4 hours and not get tired....summer? I bitch about taking the bike out of the house to the car ...

MntnMan62

I am the opposite!!! Above 50 is mostly too warm for me to ride....I might do 60, but after that, I lose interest real quick! I love to ride in the snow too, though we don't get much here...but 60 and blow is perfect shorts, t-shirt and "no sweating" weather....invigorating! Plus, there are less people on the trails and the scenery is way more pretty to me.

In the fall, winter and early spring, I can ride for 3-4 hours and not get tired....summer? I bitch about taking the bike out of the house to the car ...

Where is "here"?

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member
I remember when Mongeese were the cream of the crop....too bad what happened to that company!!

It might actually be less expensive to get a new better bike than to re-part that one....how old is it? I know this b/c 7 years ago I thought I would do the same thing with my 25 year old Trek, and just to get a more up to date drive train was going to cost me more than I paid for the bike...and it's resale value.

It was also hard to find some of the parts due to the age of the bike....but it was also surprisingly easy to find others...

the used market can be a great place to pick up something for 2-400 dollars that some one else bought new for 800-1000 dollars
The Goose will be 10 this year. The frame and everything is in fine shape still. The crank set and freewheel are operating just fine also. Its just the shifters and front derailleur. It has disk brakes and they work fine also.

I dont want to spend that much on a bike. I'm not a cyclist, nor am I going to do anything more than ride it up and down the dirt road. It's already got about 2000 trouble free miles on it. I'd like to put on some more.

This isnt mine, but is the bike:
80204b80cdf54709b56336806b0794ee-1.jpg

Xstr8edgtnrdrmrX

Xstr8edgtnrdrmrX

The Goose will be 10 this year. The frame and everything is in fine shape still. The crank set and freewheel are operating just fine also. Its just the shifters and front derailleur. It has disk brakes and they work fine also.

I dont want to spend that much on a bike. I'm not a cyclist, nor am I going to do anything more than ride it up and down the dirt road. It's already got about 2000 trouble free miles on it. I'd like to put on some more.

This isnt mine, but is the bike:
View attachment 99926

cool...I didn't know if you were gonna be hitting singletrack or some rougher stuff

front derailleurs always suck. I don't think I have ever owned a bike with one that didn't stop working 6 months in...my current bike just has one chainring up front now on purpose b/c of that..

KamaK

Platinum Member
Late to the thread.....

I had to purchase new bikes for my kids (6 & 11) last fall. I wanted aluminum frames, single derailleur, and acceptable quality.

I checked the local sporting-goods and big-box stores. Everything they carried was a bike-shaped-object. Complete trash.
I tried Amazon.. Same issue.
I looked at Trek... Better, but not by much.

Fortunately, someone turned me on to Vitus. I picked up a 20 and a 24 from CR and have been extremely pleased with the quality of the bikes.

If you're considering buying bikes for your kids, and desire something an echelon above Huffy/Schwinn offerings, I highly recommend these.

MntnMan62

Central Ohio

Then I give you a lot of credit for getting out and riding at this time of year. It's probably as cold if not colder in Ohio than it is in NJ. Not for me though. I'll stay inside and get on the elliptical until I feel in shape enough to get out and do some trail running. That I'll do. But riding the bike easily makes it feel a good 10 degrees colder than it is.

Xstr8edgtnrdrmrX

Then I give you a lot of credit for getting out and riding at this time of year. It's probably as cold if not colder in Ohio than it is in NJ. Not for me though. I'll stay inside and get on the elliptical until I feel in shape enough to get out and do some trail running. That I'll do. But riding the bike easily makes it feel a good 10 degrees colder than it is.

thx!!! in general, I am a cold weather person...I hate the summer except for drum corps and band camp <---those are really the only things that motivate me to get out of the house from June-Oct. One of my nick names has always been Snow Mizer....

MntnMan62

thx!!! in general, I am a cold weather person...I hate the summer except for drum corps and band camp <---those are really the only things that motivate me to get out of the house from June-Oct. One of my nick names has always been Snow Mizer....

And you're right. I'm the opposite. Maybe it's because I was born at the end of July, the dead of summer. I love walking around in shorts, bare feet or sandals, and lounging on the deck on a warm summer night with a nice dark rum or a Vesper Martini. And the heat never really bothers me much on rides. I expect to sweat my head off. The more the better. Makes me feel like I've done something. And then a refreshing shower after followed by that adult beverage.

Old PIT Guy

I ride a Cannondale Caad9 90% of the time, a fairly standard ride and so a little boring. I built up a Coppi fixed gear a few years ago that's great for riding the neighborhood. The White Ind. freewheel is a nice piece of work. This shot is from when it was built. It's considerably less shiny now.

Attachments

• coppi-streetmaster.jpg
    coppi-streetmaster.jpg
    463.3 KB · Views: 6

Xstr8edgtnrdrmrX

And you're right. I'm the opposite. Maybe it's because I was born at the end of July, the dead of summer. I love walking around in shorts, bare feet or sandals, and lounging on the deck on a warm summer night with a nice dark rum or a Vesper Martini. And the heat never really bothers me much on rides. I expect to sweat my head off. The more the better. Makes me feel like I've done something. And then a refreshing shower after followed by that adult beverage.

yep!! I still do ride in the heat b/c biking is my other passion, but I just bitch a lot about it... ?

I know for me it was because I was pretty big growing up...and I sweat a lot, so heat (and humidity) always meant large amounts of discomfort to me. Also, growing up, my family did a LOT of camping up north (UP of MI and Canada) in the summer and winter. We never went to the ocean, beaches, or south. We were sort of "chasing cold" in a way. I am pretty sure it was all of that conditioning that helped. I was born in June

and I walk around in shorts and sandals in the winter! I am one of those "fat, bald guy in shorts in the winter" people. I actually only own one pair of jeans.

Xstr8edgtnrdrmrX

I ride a Cannondale Caad9 90% of the time, a fairly standard ride and so a little boring. I built up a Coppi fixed gear a few years ago that's great for riding the neighborhood. The White Ind. freewheel is a nice piece of work. This shot is from when it was built. It's considerably less shiny now.

i love the look of single speeds!!!

I thought about building one a few years back, but I already have my BMX, and use that as my neighborhood bike.And before my heart attack, I was goign to turn my mountain bike into a SS....but now, I need the gears so I don't blow up my heart...though a big part of me still wants to try SS fitness