La Bicycletta

Xstr8edgtnrdrmrX

This is my "vintage" 1990 custom made road bike. All steel construction with Campy components (wheel hubs are Campy Record). I did go with a new seat a year-and-and-half ago and recently put on new Ultegra clipless pedals. It rides like a dream. I'm riding vintage until the day I can longer ride anymore.

View attachment 98685View attachment 98686

that is sweet!!! I don't ride road, but I know bike mechanics and history. Vintage is great if you can find parts...

I still ride my 1988 Mongoose Californian Pro BMX bike, and get tons of weird looks at the skatepark with the big, long seat post and "Chicago'd" style bars, but it still works!!

baz

Silver Member
This is my "vintage" 1990 custom made road bike. All steel construction with Campy components (wheel hubs are Campy Record). I did go with a new seat a year-and-and-half ago and recently put on new Ultegra clipless pedals. It rides like a dream. I'm riding vintage until the day I can longer ride anymore.

View attachment 98685View attachment 98686
Nice. Great bike and great beard.

Another long lost brother.

Mom said you were abducted by a Sasquatch !

Barry

Love vintage steel.

baz

Silver Member
About a month ago I dug my bicycle out or the shed and fixed it up. I live in a neighborhood that is good for bicycle riding, not much traffic. So I've been riding when the weather is nice. Since I began riding I notice my stamina is greater, fat is disappearing from my belly and I just feel better.

Stamina is the accidental byproduct that l am most greatfull for.

It feels good to know that you are less likely to make the mental mistakes, run out of gas or zone out stressing over the post gig tear down because you have the strength and stamina to come out of the day with a little gas left in the tank.

In my little corner of happiness, we have roughly eight months of decent riding conditions, four months of cold, blizzards, melt, freeze, more snow, repeat as necessary. I try to ride as much as l can within my personal safety level and comfort zone. It is harder to zen out when you need to focus on keeping it vertical.

Ride on and stay safe

Barry

K Chez

that is sweet!!! I don't ride road, but I know bike mechanics and history. Vintage is great if you can find parts...

I still ride my 1988 Mongoose Californian Pro BMX bike, and get tons of weird looks at the skatepark with the big, long seat post and "Chicago'd" style bars, but it still works!!
Also a member of the long seatpost club! Have you checked out or ridden any new school bikes? I know a lot of guys attached to the old school bikes - myself included (I still have my 86 Haro Sport & an '85 Trickstar) I spent a lot of time rebuilding/restoring/riding old & mid school bikes, but from a riding standpoint, newer technology bikes are so much better. I'll take out an older bike if I'm just going for a ride, but if I'm going to session or try to learn new stuff, it's new school all the way. Glad to see there a lot for biking drummers out there!

Reactions: baz

Xstr8edgtnrdrmrX

Also a member of the long seatpost club! Have you checked out or ridden any new school bikes? I know a lot of guys attached to the old school bikes - myself included (I still have my 86 Haro Sport & an '85 Trickstar) I spent a lot of time rebuilding/restoring/riding old & mid school bikes, but from a riding standpoint, newer technology bikes are so much better. I'll take out an older bike if I'm just going for a ride, but if I'm going to session or try to learn new stuff, it's new school all the way. Glad to see there a lot for biking drummers out there!

yeah...I am saving for a WeThePeople Crysis or possibly a Lairdframe custom frame that I will then build up...COVID sort of interrupted those monetary plans. I want to get a newer bike to throw around more so I don't destroy the old one

baz

Silver Member
The two things that have been constants in my life to this day since 1977 - BMX & drums! Still riding flatland at 55!View attachment 98689

Another long lost brother!

Mom said you were eaten by a great white while surfing of the coast near Cape Town !

We should call Old School, Bjorn and Sven and go sack a monastery

Barry

J-Boogie

Gold Member
Another long lost brother!

Mom said you were eaten by a great white while surfing of the coast near Cape Town !

We should call Old School, Bjorn and Sven and go sack a monastery

Barry
Your mom was busy, its nice to reunite isn't it. Too funny man!!

Xstr8edgtnrdrmrX

The two things that have been constants in my life to this day since 1977 - BMX & drums! Still riding flatland at 55!View attachment 98689

so friggen killer!!!! Jealous of your skills too...I am not back to that level yet

K Chez

so friggen killer!!!! Jealous of your skills too...I am not back to that level yet
Thanks! My skills aren't that high of a level, but I have fun and that's what's important. Laird frames are sick - TI ones are incredible quality, albeit expensive. Another great custom builder is P.I.R. (Malo) from France. He built the bars on the bike in the photo.
Skilled! Awesome! Can you teach me how? I usually do pedal and not tricks.
It's never too late to start! Do you ride BMX? Learning to ride flat if you don't have a lot of bmx/mtb style riding experience (jumping, flowing through trails etc.) might be like just starting to play drums and trying to learn polyrhythms out of the gate, but not a deal breaker. Try to find some local riders-the BMX community is a big family (like drumming) and riders are always into helping new people get into the sport.

Xstr8edgtnrdrmrX

Thanks! My skills aren't that high of a level, but I have fun and that's what's important. Laird frames are sick - TI ones are incredible quality, albeit expensive. Another great custom builder is P.I.R. (Malo) from France. He built the bars on the bike in the photo.

cool...will check him out. I am still debating how much money I want to throw at a bike, only being a "duffer" in the activity...but I also want aomethign that is not going to fall apart...and half of the fun is shopping, and looking at other people's bikes

baz

Silver Member
It has been really nice out over Christmas week

got the heavy duty continental studded winter tires on so l am feeling a little more confident about my traction and handling.DBD5B14E-18FD-4080-B712-EFE7367D3666.jpeg

Stay safe all and adios 2020

Barry

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member
got the heavy duty continental studded winter tires on
Wait, what? You can buy studded snow tires for a bicycle? They have metal spikes like a studded snow tire for a car?

Bozozoid

I've done the weight thing off and on...no split routines..full body every other day legs twice a week..im what's called a hard gainer..having to work harder than others to get half the results. Bikes? I'm still! Ebaying in search of that Apple crate schwinn. After reading the posts here dear Lord I was afraid to say anything. Concerning life lessons and hardships I'm out of my league! And will read this thread whenever I'm having a pitty party.

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member
I'm still! Ebaying in search of that Apple crate schwinn.
When I was a kid, my buddy had his dads old Lemon Peeler. I loved that thing. It even had the uber dangerous shift on the frame. I had my stepfather's old Rollfast from like the 50s.

Mine was black and didnt have the racks. The rest is the same:

rollfast2_zps753cc39a-1.jpg