La Bicycletta

rhumbagirl

l used to drive to the gym to ride a stationary bike.
That right there is coming full circle my friend :)

EDIT: I ride my bike to work so I don't have to drive a car and I don't have to join a gym.

Last edited:

Xstr8edgtnrdrmrX

Diamond Member
we are getting ready to do a 30 mile gravel grind this weekend....the colors are in full turn and the weather will be perfect. Will hit the singletrack trails a bit on Saturday evening...or the skatepark...

i ride more in the winter...hoping to get some snow this year for snow riding!!

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member
i ride more in the winter...hoping to get some snow this year for snow riding!!
That's brutal. Everytime I ever tried to ride in the cold it makes my lungs burn. The cold air and I dont agree in any way. It kills my hips and knees too. 100 degrees, sure. 40, no way.

Xstr8edgtnrdrmrX

Diamond Member
That's brutal. Everytime I ever tried to ride in the cold it makes my lungs burn. The cold air and I dont agree in any way. It kills my hips and knees too. 100 degrees, sure. 40, no way.

yeah, i have always been a cold weather person...I prefer camping in the winter; grew up playing hockey on frozen ponds/rivers...I sleep with the window cracked and a fan on in the winter; I would play out in the snow for hours as a kid. My mom always said it was the Viking in me. We are 100% Swedish...

I will reluctantly ride when it is over 70...won't even go out of the house for anything if it is over 85...except for band camp...the only thing that will pull me out into the heat is marching percussion....I honestly get seasonal depression in the spring and summer. I open the door and the wall of oppressive heat and humidity hits me and I just want to hole up

I have always been a big guy, and I sweat a lot, and quickly. That then triggers my claustrophobia when my clothes start sticking to me. <--- that has always been a big factor as well. I am not as big now as I was in HS and college, but the whole claustrophobia thing is still an issue

I'm weird...I know

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member
I will reluctantly ride when it is over 70...won't even go out of the house for anything if it is over 85..
That's when I do my best work. Everything starts to loosen up, I like the feeling of the hot sun on my skin. I'm a skinny guy though, cold goes right through me and shuts me down. I get more done in the summer than winter, that's for sure.

Xstr8edgtnrdrmrX

Diamond Member
That's when I do my best work. Everything starts to loosen up, I like the feeling of the hot sun on my skin. I'm a skinny guy though, cold goes right through me and shuts me down. I get more done in the summer than winter, that's for sure.

funny that body mass seems to be a big determiner of cold resistance/tolerance. ALL of my skinny friends say the same as you, and ALL of my big friends are in my book. I have noticed that, now that I am on the 1 a day asprin for post heart attack stuff, I do take longer to acclimate to the cold. My docs told me that would happen.

I usually take a fall weekend to go camping, and I bring no blankets...just me, the tent, and shorts. One night. I get my "winter body" on. That was much harder to do last year b/c of the aspirin. Next weekend is my weekend to do it. It has to be on a night where it will get near 32. After tht, I am good to go.

baz

Silver Member
That right there is coming full circle my friend :)

EDIT: I ride my bike to work so I don't have to drive a car and I don't have to join a gym.
I have been retired for six years and riding for five.

l measure my rides as time ratios. A normal hour on the bike is the equivalent of twenty minutes chasing my Grand Daughter around a playground.

Ride on ????????????

Barry

baz

Silver Member
yeah, i have always been a cold weather person...I prefer camping in the winter; grew up playing hockey on frozen ponds/rivers...I sleep with the window cracked and a fan on in the winter; I would play out in the snow for hours as a kid. My mom always said it was the Viking in me. We are 100% Swedish...

I will reluctantly ride when it is over 70...won't even go out of the house for anything if it is over 85...except for band camp...the only thing that will pull me out into the heat is marching percussion....I honestly get seasonal depression in the spring and summer. I open the door and the wall of oppressive heat and humidity hits me and I just want to hole up

I have always been a big guy, and I sweat a lot, and quickly. That then triggers my claustrophobia when my clothes start sticking to me. <--- that has always been a big factor as well. I am not as big now as I was in HS and college, but the whole claustrophobia thing is still an issue

I'm weird...I know

are you sure youare not my long lost brother?

Mom said you were eaten by wolves.

Barry??

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member
I usually take a fall weekend to go camping, and I bring no blankets...just me, the tent, and shorts. One night. I get my "winter body" on. That was much harder to do last year b/c of the aspirin. Next weekend is my weekend to do it. It has to be on a night where it will get near 32. After tht, I am good to go.
No thank you! I'm the guy with 3 shirts, fleece pants with long underwear, 2 pairs of socks, a beanie hat and hoodie, gloves, and if it's really cold, a full length leather trenchcoat.

I have a flannel blanket on my side of the couch all year long.

Xstr8edgtnrdrmrX

Diamond Member
are you sure youare not my long lost brother?

Mom said you were eaten by wolves.

Barry??

possibly!! I am a brethren to all of the cold weather fans! I think we are a pretty small tribe, so we have to stick together

and not eaten by wolves, but raised by them (according to my wife). ;) ❄⛄

Reactions: baz

Xstr8edgtnrdrmrX

Diamond Member
No thank you! I'm the guy with 3 shirts, fleece pants with long underwear, 2 pairs of socks, a beanie hat and hoodie, gloves, and if it's really cold, a full length leather trenchcoat.

I have a flannel blanket on my side of the couch all year long.

I do have my warm Toronto Maple Leafs fleece blanket that I use on the coldest of days, but I am generally in t-shirt, shorts, and my drumline jacket from school in the winter. It is weird...if the back of my neck is warm, I can be out in the cold non stop, but if that area gets cold, I feel it all over.

rhumbagirl

i ride more in the winter
My body reacts well to the cold but the dry air is my problem - below 24F. Here in Portland I had issues in 80F and above getting 14 miles in, whereas at 50-65F it's a breeze.

wraub

Gold Member
It's been so hot here for so long I almost don't remember cold... and if it's too hot, I don't ride. :(

Last edited:

Xstr8edgtnrdrmrX

Diamond Member
My body reacts well to the cold but the dry air is my problem - below 24F. Here in Portland I had issues in 80F and above getting 14 miles in, whereas at 50-65F it's a breeze.

yeah, there is definitely a temp "sweet spot"...for me, it is 50*...cool enough to work hard and not be a disgusting sweaty mess; super invigorating air; no humidity; still shorts and t shirt weather, so no extra bulky layers to deal with

AzHeat

Platinum Member
It's been so hot here for so long I almost don't remember cold... and if it's too hot, I don't ride. :(
Are you kidding? Some of the best rides out here in AZ were when we'd get high heat warnings at 115+ and everyone would stay home. The difference between 114 and 115+ was just that. A packed trail vs. a wide open trail. No air over you at 114 or below and break neck speeds at 115+, so you actually felt better and cooler. Most of the winter here is just prime riding though. Pretty much arm and leg warmers in the early AM, then shed a bit later for the perfect riding temps.

wraub

Gold Member
Absolutely serious.

I work all day driving, sometimes hundreds of miles, sometimes in an unairconditioned vehicle... When it's 115, I don't want to be out in it any more than necessary.
My last hot-day commute was the day it was 122... I did 21 miles that day, and that was enough.
Summers I walk in the mornings and evenings... Winters, I ride. :)

Are you kidding? Some of the best rides out here in AZ were when we'd get high heat warnings at 115+ and everyone would stay home. The difference between 114 and 115+ was just that. A packed trail vs. a wide open trail. No air over you at 114 or below and break neck speeds at 115+, so you actually felt better and cooler. Most of the winter here is just prime riding though. Pretty much arm and leg warmers in the early AM, then shed a bit later for the perfect riding temps.

baz

Silver Member
Finally got out for a ride yesterday.

The weather has been beautiful but the conditions are iffy. I can dress for temperature but l can’t dress for gravity. Being the rickety old fossil l am, gravity is not my friend. Did a safe ten k zen ride through one of my favourite routes. Nice thing about zen is how you can transfer it to a serial pounding on the old four piece.

Stay safe and enjoy what you can

barry

Xstr8edgtnrdrmrX

Diamond Member
Finally got out for a ride yesterday.

The weather has been beautiful but the conditions are iffy. I can dress for temperature but l can’t dress for gravity. Being the rickety old fossil l am, gravity is not my friend. Did a safe ten k zen ride through one of my favourite routes. Nice thing about zen is how you can transfer it to a serial pounding on the old four piece.

Stay safe and enjoy what you can

barry

that is going into my list of great quotes!!!

No Way Jose

Silver Member
About a month ago I dug my bicycle out or the shed and fixed it up. I live in a neighborhood that is good for bicycle riding, not much traffic. So I've been riding when the weather is nice. Since I began riding I notice my stamina is greater, fat is disappearing from my belly and I just feel better.

Vintage Old School

Gold Member
This is my "vintage" 1990 custom made road bike. All steel construction with Campy Chorus components (wheel hubs are Campy Record). I did go with a new seat a year-and-and-half ago and recently put on new Ultegra clipless pedals. It rides like a dream. I'm riding vintage until the day I can longer ride anymore.

1990Chuleewah.jpgChuleewah_Wishbone.jpg

Last edited: