L80s and Silent Stroke/Super Pad Players, How Do you...?

Hollywood Jim

Platinum Member
AzHeat:
I live near Waddell Arizona and I can hear you practicing! LOL Just kidding.

You are fighting against a simple principal. Drums and cymbals are loud instruments and when you dampen them to the point where you are not bothering anyone, they no longer sound like drums.

The idea behind dampening the drum sound is so that you can hit something (practice) and still not get any (or very little) sound out of the drums and cymbals. I have a dampened set of acoustic drums and cymbals. I practice to music wearing headphones. I mix the level of music so that the sound of my drums is a little bit louder than the drums in the music. The sound of my drums and cymbals do not sound like real drums, more like different kind of thuds and cymbal pings in different pitches. But it provides me with what I need in order to practice.

The best you can hope for is that the stick rebound you get from your dampened drums is close to the real thing.

AzHeat

Platinum Member
The best you can hope for is that the stick rebound you get from your dampened drums is close to the real thing.
Which they are. Actually a bit more dead on the stick, but I’d rather have that then a bit too bouncy and think I have something in the bag, but can’t reproduce on a real kit. I’ve definitely seen some benefits from the he pads already. There are things that sounded clean on acoustic, but choppy on pads. That says I need to rework those areas, so definitely seeing benefits, aside from not driving others crazy. Yeah, according to my wife, you can hear me from your place!

I know I’m probably going a bit overboard, but I’m a stickler for sound. Actually pretty pleased with how far I’ve gotten with the L80s, but without a bunch of effects, I don’t think I’ll get much further with the snare and toms. I saw a guy on YouTube add effects to silent pads and get close to a drum set sound, but to get there, I’d need way more software than I have. That’s where I’m thinking the EAD10 May be way cheaper, simpler and also fully functional in a live situation.

Should probably just stop whining and get back to practicing. LOL!