Kit re-arrange/sell advice requested

joshvibert

Hey guys, this thread is about my church's drumset. I'm perfectly happy with my personal kits!:D So here's the deal, a couple years ago I helped the church find a kit on their $500 budget. We got a used Yamaha Stage Custom Advantage Nouveau in Matte Black. It included hardware, some cheap cymbals, which have since been upgraded, and a Tama Artwood 7 x 13 Maple Snare. Yamaha kit is a 10/12/16/22 setup. I've never understood why manufacturers sold that configuration because it seems that the 12" to the 16" is quite a jump. Aside from not caring much for the sizes as they stand, I don't feel like I can get a great sound out of these, maybe due to the plastic lugs. They sound good, but not great, and I've messed with heads and tuning. Honestly, I could deal with the sound if the sizes were better. Initially I thought I'd just find a 14" floor tom for it on e-bay and be good to go. It seems no such thing exists. These kits are discontinued, but everywhere I've been able to find the old ads, they were only 10/12/16/22 shell packs. Because of the matte finish and the black plastic lugs, it would be pretty difficult to match with a different 14" floor tom.

We play all modern worship music (Hillsong, Passion, etc) and there's a lot of tribal-type tom grooves. It's really nice/important to have the two floor setup.

So, my next option would be to sell these drums (probably along with the Tama snare too...7 x 13 maple isn't exactly the most versatile drum). First question, fair value for the shell pack and snare? This will dictate what I can spend on a replacement. Hoping for $500-$650. Is that realistic?

The next question is what to replace it with in that price range that is available with either a 10/12/14/16 or 12/14/16 or even a 10/14/16 tom setup? Looking initially at Tama Silverstars, Stage Customs, and Visions. I'd prefer to buy used because I feel I can get more value that way. The final piece of the puzzle is that the drums must be either black or natural (or something like the dark mocha fade). No other colors or sparkle finishes are acceptable to the church.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

alparrott

Platinum Member
$500 is realistic if they're in good shape. Probably $350-400 for the shells and $100-150 for the snare. I was going to recommend you just go ahead and get a regular-lugged 14" floor tom in matte black, but it sounds like you are really unhappy with the sound.

What do they sound like out in the house? Looks like snare and toms are miked, are you miking anything else? Overheads we can't see in the pics?

What about the Gretsch Catalina maple kits? They were available in a honey colored natural finish at one point and a wine colored finish. I think they may offer another finish or 2 now as well.

drum4fun27302

Gold Member
I would say bring your home kit at church (1 up 1 down k and snare) and see how it sounds in your church. Maybe the acoustics/miking in the room is the problem. This way, you won't be buying another kit that will sound as crappy as the previous one ..........

joshvibert

I would say bring your home kit at church (1 up 1 down k and snare) and see how it sounds in your church. Maybe the acoustics/miking in the room is the problem. This way, you won't be buying another kit that will sound as crappy as the previous one ..........
Wow, what a superb notion! thanks!

Toolate

Platinum Member
After that I might consider finding any 14" FT and painting it matte black and changing the hardware from the 12" to the new 14". Seems like the cheapest route and matte black couldnt be easier.

Maybe you could find some lugs online and keep the 12 and "make" a new 14 so you could have all 4 (2 up 2dn).

Kind of sounds like fun too.

Are these them?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/YAMAHA-ADVANTAGE-BLACK-NOUVEAU-QUICK-CHANGE-TOM-DRUM-LUG-CASINGS-COMPLETE-/290782834666?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item43b401efea

joshvibert

After that I might consider finding any 14" FT and painting it matte black and changing the hardware from the 12" to the new 14". Seems like the cheapest route and matte black couldnt be easier.

Maybe you could find some lugs online and keep the 12 and "make" a new 14 so you could have all 4 (2 up 2dn).

Kind of sounds like fun too.

Are these them?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/YAMAHA-ADVANTAGE-BLACK-NOUVEAU-QUICK-CHANGE-TOM-DRUM-LUG-CASINGS-COMPLETE-/290782834666?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item43b401efea
Yes, those are the correct lugs...still, not sure if I want to sink more money into this kit.

joshvibert

I messed around with the setup and tuning last night at rehearsal and got to somewhat of a happy place. I don't know how or why, but the reso heads on the 12" and 16" toms were cranked pretty tight. I must've done it as I'm the only one who works on the kit, but I don't remember doing it or know why I would've done it. Anyhow, I backed the tension off the 12" and 16" toms and re-tuned them and the sound much better with a good bit of bottom end. I put the 12" tom up instead of the 10" and moved the 16" into the proper floor tom position. Then, I put the 10" tom down and outside of the 16" floor to act as an accent drum. My playing was much better and fluid last night because I wasn't fighting the setup. I guess I really am a 4pc player. I still need to work some on the kick drum tuning and I think my head choice (PS 3) is causing the snare to suffer. It's just to dry and high-pitched. I'm going to swap to either a coated CS or regular coated Ambassador batter and hope I can get more tone out of the drum. Any thoughts on that? Thanks for all the help and input on this guys.

Pics of all the creative mounting off of one stand:

alparrott

Platinum Member
For your snare, maybe try a thicker head like a G14 or Emperor? That might bring out a little low end and tone, and wouldn't be so dry. You could then tame it back with a spot of gel if needed. I am also a fan of the center-reinforced heads like the CS Coated and the Power Center Reverse Dot.

drum4fun27302

Gold Member
I the yamaha YESS rack toms , make sure that the rod doesn't touch the felt on the drum. Leave some space and the drum resonates much better ..

konaboy

Pioneer Member
So are you found a bit of a "happy spot" in the tuning, is that sound from what you are hearing behind the kit or out front? If it's behind that shield can add weird reflective tones that are not heard out front. We have a newer stage custom that I got our church a few years ago, same sizes as yours and it sounds decent behind the kit (behind a shield like yours is) but front of house through the pa is sounds great. Using clear emperor batters on the toms, clear ambassadors on the reso's. On the Stage custom and on my personal yamaha kit coated heads just don't seem to work for me, have better luck and sound with the clear heads.

Side note. We play a lot of hillsong, passion, fee and such at the church I play for and I have ours setup 2 up one down. I think a lot of that is personal preference. I've tried two down before and just never felt comfortable getting to that second FT. Where I'm going with this is the style of the songs you play doesn't have to dictate the setup ( 1 up 2 down and such) it's more a matter of what is most comfortable for you when you are playing those songs. Sounds like you might have found your answer with the 4pc setup.