Kit for Wedding Band

I read the thread title "Kit for Wedding Band" and thought, "I don't think Gretsch makes something that will fit on her finger".

I was intrigued enough to click nonetheless.

The most fun I'd had playing weddings was when I brought bass (20 or 22), snare, hats, ride and two crashes. Super simple, all groove so to speak, in and out fast. If you snag a 20 or 22 inch bass you could finish it off with what you already have.

I personally would stick with the 18/12/14 cat and invest in a mic set, small mixing board, and powered speaker. You can mic and mix yourself then dump into a small speaker, or set of speakers, to boost your volume in the mix or if you band uses a pa you can send out to their speakers and blend better. I've been at this almost 20 years and I'm done with big drums. I currently drive a 16/10/13 kit and love it. If I'm not loud enough then mics do the trick (or the band needs to turn down). I've also learned over the years that there is a huge difference between a louder ambient kit sound (or: bigger drums) and a more present sound in the mix.

You can fit the mics, wires, and board in a small suitcase and maybe have to carry a small speaker or two extra.

The most fun I'd had playing weddings was when I brought bass (20 or 22), snare, hats, ride and two crashes. Super simple, all groove so to speak, in and out fast. If you snag a 20 or 22 inch bass you could finish it off with what you already have.

This is exactly what I use for my Wedding band gigs - 20/12/14 kit ( Sonor Vintage series currently) - I take a metal shell and a wood shell snare ( depends on the room which I use). One ride that can cover a lot of different styles ( usually a 20" Paiste 602 Medium ride) , two crashes ( 16" and 18" 602 thin crashes ) and hiats ( 15"602 ME hats ). I bring a variety of sticks, brushes, rods as well as cowbell, tambourine . Being versatile and adaptive for your drum set up and sound is so important. One of there most important things for you as a Wedding drummer is your throne. It needs to be solid, comfortable and preferably have a backrest. You may be sitting for long periods during speeches, dinner etc.
I like to use a Roland TM-1 and triggered for the bass drum and snare for wedding gigs. This can give you some great sound options for not a lot of dough. A Roland SPDSX or Yamaha DTX Multi 12 can come in handy for playing samples or starting and stopping loops if required.

I'm a huge fan of the 2pc set up. I used a 2pc with just a ride for a year or two with my last band and was the house drummer at a local hip hop show with just a 2pc and hats + ride. So much fun.

the interesting thing, in which I did not consider, is that I have a Yamaha EAD10. I can freakin trigger the kick drum to get a "bigger" sound out of my kick. I think I am just so depressed with all these gigs cancelled that GAS has slowly entered into my soul. But, hopefully all the suggestions here (Thank you!) will help the next person looking for something that is not a ring for your finger, but actual drums.

Back