Kit for Wedding Band

mattgallettidrums

Hi all- Hope you are staying safe and healthy! When there are gigs, in addition to my jazz trio (which you can check out in my signature) and freelance work, I also play in a 10-piece Wedding Band in the Philadelphia area here in PA. I have to admit, when I google "Wedding Band" and "drums", I get wedding bands for guys that have an engraving of a drum, ha! So, I figured I would start this thread.

Here is what I am trying to accomplish:

- Currently playing a Gretsch Catalina 18-12-14, for the wedding band. It works, to a degree. I do find I have to dig into the kick drum a lot more than I would like to really get it to project through the 10-piece group.
- I have a Rogers kit and a Sugar Percussion kit, but if you have ever done load-ins in the Philly area, it can be dicey at best, plus the always fun boyfriend/girlfriend fight at the end of a wedding in which it tends to happen right near my drums. I have had drinks spilled on my drums, people knock into them, etc... The Rogers is my dads he bought new in 1967 and the Sugar Kit I just got in December, and I use them when I know the venue and I know the audience, as they are too important for me to be lugging through a kitchen.
- Looking for a kit that is 14x20 kick, 8x12, 14" floor tom (depth is not totally relevant for me). I would be open to a 7x10 as well for the rack tom.
- Looking for something in the sub 1k range, used, but budget could be stretched a little bit for the right thing.
- I love Yamaha hardware, and have actually swapped out the gretsch hardware for yammy hardware on my kit. For me, it just ergonomically fits what I prefer. I am speaking about the tom mounts, not cymbal stands. I love yammy cymbal stands, though!
- I am open to any brand, as long as it is going to be a quality instrument.
- Looking for an intermediate level kit, so dropping money on a maple custom or masterworks/reference is probably out of the question.

If you play in one of these bigger dance bands, what are you using?

Thanks much and stay well!

My best answer is save your money and buy a Ludwig Classic Maple in Downbeat sizes. I have one, and I absolutely love it.

You can find these in the $1200-$1500 price range if you look hard enough. The drums sound like they are bigger than they are. I'm a Ludwig convert having come from Pork Pie USA (see username).

This is a smoking deal on a kit that swings way above it's price on sound and hardware:

That's a solid price for a used one - great deal right now for a new one.

If you can get a Mapex Saturn V Tour 20x14/12x8/14x14 go for it, that's what I use for weddings. Ideal for gigs with crappy load ins, something I'm not missing at the moment.

Pro kit intermediate price.

Have a look at the yamaha crosstown hardware and or the tama single brace roadpro hardware (which I have). Also a good bass drum mic helps.

Thanks everyone for the feedback! To those talking about 14x20- I thought about that route as well, and have been having the hardest time trying to find a kick drum in this finish. Not sure if it is a unique finish for these sizes or not, but it is labeled "Rosewood". It is a really pretty finish, for sure, but cannot seem to find it anywhere here in the US. Really appreciate the responses thus far, loving this forum!

Have a look at the yamaha crosstown hardware and or the tama single brace roadpro hardware (which I have). Also a good bass drum mic helps.

YES - get the crosstown hardware - that has been my favorite investment ever. Two cymbals stands, snare stand, hats....15lbs. Amazing. I added a second cymbal for a total of three and it feel like nothing!

YES - get the crosstown hardware - that has been my favorite investment ever. Two cymbals stands, snare stand, hats....15lbs. Amazing. I added a second cymbal for a total of three and it feel like nothing!

awesome! A buddy had the crosstown hardware, it was really great! I had the DW UL stuff, and it just feels too light, for weddings. Jazz gigs, it is pretty good.

Also, it looks like I can get an add on. What was throwing me was that when I bought this kit, the seller called it "rosewood", but it looks like the formal name of it is "Gloss Crimson Burst". This may be the best way to go.

awesome! A buddy had the crosstown hardware, it was really great! I had the DW UL stuff, and it just feels too light, for weddings. Jazz gigs, it is pretty good.

Also, it looks like I can get an add on. What was throwing me was that when I bought this kit, the seller called it "rosewood", but it looks like the formal name of it is "Gloss Crimson Burst". This may be the best way to go.

Adding just a kick is a great way to save some $$ for sure. Now you can use that budget for something else fun!

Man - I have BIG cymbals on my Crosstowns - (23", 21", 18" stack) and I'm in a hip hop / funk/ instrumental jams thing that can get loud and they don't budge - even at full solo/cymbals flying. Spread the legs out on the stands and you'd have to break physics to get them to move around.

But that's besides the point - glad you found a kick! haha

Attachments

• Heart Space 1.jpg
    Heart Space 1.jpg
    457.5 KB · Views: 20
  • Heart Space 3.jpg
    Heart Space 3.jpg
    463.7 KB · Views: 17
Hey there, I take my best stuff everywhere (in soft cases of course). Detroit isn't as crammed as Philly, and the scene is probably "calmer" too. But I hear you on the 18" kick -- it's just not enough for dance music.

The best deals are typically a used Yamaha Stage Custom or Gretsch Renown. Or, maybe you can find a Catalina 20" to match what you have already.

Hey there, I take my best stuff everywhere (in soft cases of course). Detroit isn't as crammed as Philly, and the scene is probably "calmer" too. But I hear you on the 18" kick -- it's just not enough for dance music.

The best deals are typically a used Yamaha Stage Custom or Gretsch Renown. Or, maybe you can find a Catalina 20" to match what you have already.
nice! You know Jeff Pedraz? Bass player in your area! Philly has a big problem with people, haha! But Jeff is a Philly guy who moved out that way.

Thanks man!

Yea here in Philly people aren't the most friendly.

Matt I'm interested if you know the same people I know. Phila. suburbs dweller here.

Mikey Junior? Don Evans? Steve Guyger? Russ Lambert?

Yea here in Philly people aren't the most friendly.

Matt I'm interested if you know the same people I know. Phila. suburbs dweller here.

Mikey Junior? Don Evans? Steve Guyger? Russ Lambert?

Yo Larry! I know of those guys, probably Mikey Junior the most. I am in Chester County now, but grew up in Upper Darby and went to Temple for jazz performance. One of by best friends is my teacher at Temple, Erik Johnson.

Where in the burbs are ya?

nice! You know Jeff Pedraz? Bass player in your area! Philly has a big problem with people, haha! But Jeff is a Philly guy who moved out that way.

Thanks man!
Love Jeff! He's a MONSTER (perfect pitch, wonderful tone). Don't get to gig with him very often, which is too bad. Gotta say, he's up at least one level from me, on the scene.

Love Jeff! He's a MONSTER (perfect pitch, wonderful tone). Don't get to gig with him very often, which is too bad. Gotta say, he's up at least one level from me, on the scene.

oh, awesome. He MAY remember me, but we went to college at Temple together. He was a beast then, too. Small world!

Back