KISS

I have been playing the drums on and off for over 40 years.

I have played I several bands throughout the years and I jam with the guys on occasion.

When I first started plying I was basically self-taught accept for a few lessons from friends that were taking lessons and a few times at Westchester school of music in White Plains New York. (Easy Breezy).

I got along with playing single strokes around the drums never used any rudiments like the paradiddle or combinations thereof.

I knew how to do them well but didn’t know how to apply them to a drum set. Well about 10 or so years ago I bought myself another second hand drum set fixed it up and started to play again. However, this time I concentrated on using, and /or abusing the paradiddle and combos of around the drums.

Now I am so good at it I slip the paradiddle into my regular drum beats so often that I feel now that it is an obsession.

Now don’t get me wrong I still use single strokes when necessary but I have a habit of putting in little paradiddle fills to jazz up the riff out of boredom I guess, or just because I can, it is fun and I think it sounds good.

I also use lots of ghost beats on the snare and the bass drum especially on the bass drum when I am coming off the head I sneak one beat in as my foot is coming up, sort of what Jeff Porcaro dose with his half time shuffle. (Rosanna). I heard it called a YAW beat

I guess what I’m saying is that I do this because I think it sounds better than just a strait beat and as long as I can shut it off for songs that really do not need fancy stuff then is there any harm in it? My guitar player has issues with it even though as I’m doing these fills my HI hat is always playing the same beat my left hand would play so as I don’t leave him out on a limb.
Should I keep it simple?

Thanks
Lou

KamaK

Platinum Member
I guess what I’m saying is that I do this because I think it sounds better than just a strait beat and as long as I can shut it off for songs that really do not need fancy stuff then is there any harm in it? My guitar player has issues with it even though as I’m doing these fills my HI hat is always playing the same beat my left hand would play so as I don’t leave him out on a limb.
Should I keep it simple?
Welcome to the forum.

In order to give an honest opinion, I'd have to hear the part. Unless it's out-of-time or doesn't create some rhythmic discord that would throw off your guitarists timekeeping, there shouldn't be an issue.

MileHighDrummer

Welcome to the group. After 40 years I believe you should have a grasp of what's appropriate and sound good. Play what you like.

Skyking

I'm no recording star or drum school guru. That said, IMHO I think you and all other band members need to be on the same page, no matter how long anyone has been playing. If you play rock, a high hat "chic" usually can't replace the snare to keep the beat, if that's what you're are trying to do. Maybe what the guitar player is saying is that the bass drum and snare are such a large coordinated part of the beat, keep it simple and play it straight.

I now work hard to keep my playing simpler. Not necessarily the same as everyone else, just simpler. Although not always successful, I try to never get in the way of the song. But just by asking you show you're thinking right and it'll be interesting to hear what others say.

rustynuts

Reformed guitarist here, and when playing in a rock band the only thing I focused on was the snare. I tuned everything else out.

M

Matt Bo Eder

To me, the groove is tantamount to a good feeling band and music. I'm not sure what you're doing since I'd have to hear it, but at the same time, if none of your bandmates are complaining, you're probably OK.

However, if you've ever felt like nobody wanted you around to play in your 40 years of playing, that might tell you something too ;)