Kind of an odd question?

Lee-Cox

Is it possible or do they make an adaptor while playing along to a home stereo that I could have my headphones on and have the same music Im listening to come through my home stereo speakers as well? I like playing with my headphones on but at the same time Id like my guitarist and who ever is hanging out with us to be able to hear the music we are playing along to. As soon as I plug my headphone jack into the stereo it automatically shuts down the home speakers. Didn't know if they made anything to remedy this. Thanks Lee

Drumolator

Platinum Member
That mostly depends on the stereo. From what you said, I doubt yours will do what you want. You could get an adapter to plug two headphones into the same jack. Good luck. Peace and goodwill.

GruntersDad

Administrator - Mayor
Staff member
There are some stereos that have an earphone jack that doesn't turn off the external speakers. It allows speakers, phones, or both.

BacteriumFendYoke

Platinum Member
They use what's usually called a shunt, that shuts down the speaker automatically. Unless you want to go poking around in there and find out how to disable it, you can't do anything about it. It's typical on inexpensive systems with a single volume control. My amplifier has a shunt but I only use it for the line out so nothing goes out of the speaker output.

One possible solution is if you have a 'line out' on the back of your system. If you do then it's possible you can hook it up to a headphone amplifier and use that for your headphone output instead. If you don't have a line out, there's not much you can really do without altering the unit.

ncc

Silver Member
The idea of a headphone amp is good, or you could pick up a small stereo mixer like an Alesis MultiMix 4 USB. This mixer, like most others, has a headphone jack that is controlled independently from the mains (ie not shunted).

If you go the small mixer route, you can go from the source into the mixer and then from the mixer to your home stereo (i would use the CD input on a home stereo), which eliminates the need for a line out on your stereo since the mixer is before the home stereo.

There are also other advantages as well, such as being able to have music played on a laptop or computer to be sent to the mixer via USB and played on your home stereo, as well as plugging a device with a headphone jack (like an ipod/ipad/iphone) into the board for that to be easily played though your home stereo as well. Oh, and you also have a 4 channel board if you need to us it for anything else like recording. ;-)

BacteriumFendYoke

Platinum Member
NCC makes a very good suggestion there.

I have something similar. I have my amplifier taking input from a cassette player and a turntable. It has a shunted headphone output. The line out is connected to two active monitors. I also have an audio interface connected in a different way to the active monitors. Two systems, effectively. If I wanted to, I could use the input on the interface to plug the line out from the amp into its inputs and then route that the the monitors - in much the same way you would using a mixer. The reason I don't is because it's fiddly, given that it's software-controlled. If you have a desk that doesn't require software control, it's much easier. I lose control of the volume of my turntable and cassette player (unless I play with the monitors) but it does cut down on the complication. It's kind of the reverse of NCC's suggestion but it's conceptually similar.

What NCC proposes is SOURCE-MIXER-AMP (stereo aux in)-SPEAKERS/HEADPHONES. My alternative is SOURCE-AMP-INTERFACE-SPEAKERS/HEADPHONES. My system requires active speakers because I'm wouldn't be using the amplifier as an amplifier, just a source selector (effectively a dumb mixing desk).

You have options with another piece of gear but with the setup you're describing there's no simple solution that doesn't require an additional purchase. Be it headphone amp or desk. The Alesis is a good, solid recommendation. NCC's solution is better here.

RIneuron

Or...
Keep you music on an iPad or iPhone, plug a splitter into the iPhone (Radio Shack), and run to sound to powered computer speakers and headphones. This is my practice setup and it works great. Sound quality from the speakers will vary depending on how much you want to spend.

Lee-Cox

I really appreciate the advice on all of this. I have no problem to purchase a little equipment to make this work. I just have no clue about mixers? Or any audio equipment. Don't even know what I'm looking at. So Id like to ask you about this configuration and see if you think this will work or not. Please excuse my poor wording here but again, I'm not to sure about this stuff.

What I'm thinking.

From my laptop headphone jack a splitter. ( male that splits into two female )

From splitter 1 a headphone jack / audio cable adapter. Running the two audio cables to the back of home stereo to CD inputs . ( This is normally how I play music through my laptop)

From splitter 2 to my headphones.

Have not tried this yet because performing this will cost me about 15 - 20 ft of audio cable and changing room layout. So I was hoping to get your opinions on this. Thanks again . Love this site!! -Lee

ncc

Silver Member
What you ask will work fine, just be careful not to overdrive a since you are amp'ing a already amp'd signal. Everyone does what you are asking about though and i doubt a laptop or ipad would have enough power to cause any issues. :) and that same splitter cable from your laptop can be also plugged into any device with a headphone jack.

If you use a mixer, you use USB to go from the laptop to the mixer, and then from the mixer to the cd inputs of your stereo, and your headphone volume would be controlled separate from your stereo volume (ie you can turn up your headphones without tuning up your stereo). You would also have extra inputs for more devices as to not having to plug and unplug everything all the time you want to swap device, or if you want to mic something (direct or indirect).

I'm not a big fan of (wire type) splitters as they always seem to break, so you may want to go to monoprice and get a few if you go that route. ;-)

Smoke

Silver Member
Strangely, I practice with my "boom box" AND headphones. I wiggle the headphones' 1/8 inch mini-stereo plug into the boom box jack - not all the way though - and get stereo output to both speakers and headphones both at the same time.

Thought it was an accident at first, but I've been practicing this way for 4 years. Takes a bit of fiddling, but not more than 5 - 10 seconds. The better construction of home stereo components probably won't work that way, but it's worth a try!