Kid kick pedal

Local Oaf

I bought my middle kid a junior size kit for Christmas. It works well enough for his needs, but some of the nuts and bolts of the kick pedal came loose and disappeared. The company (GP Percussion) is sending me a whole new pedal, but honestly it might be better to just updgrade it so he doesn’t become discouraged from playing by a pedal that very well might be continually unworkable.

It appear that the junior sets doesn’t sell pedals individually, so I don’t think I could get a kick pedal from say a Ludwig pocket kit (assuming that is a better pedal).

So, dear hive mind, are there any smaller pedals that could fit a kid’s foot. Maybe a smaller Cobra or the like. It appears like the Junior Cobra isn't really that much smaller than a normal Iron Cobra.

Thanks y’all!

Not really inexpensive, but highly adjustable-and for your needs it has a crucial height adjustment feature. I have one and I really like it.
Definitely something your son could grow into for years to come.

Tama HP50-

Maybe try the Mapex Storm / 400 pedal. It has a slightly smaller foot board and minimal to no heel plate. I recall it being marketed as great for younger drummers when it came out. It's not too expensive either.

I recommend a used Ludwig Speed King. It's what I used as a child while learning how to play my first kit.

They are built like a tank, easy to make adjustments and you can find them relatively cheap.

I would not recommend a speed king. Id recommend something like a basic Gibraltar or PDP 400.

The SpeedKing makes it too easy to play fast. A beginner or child needs a challenge to strengthen/tone the muscles- and develop memory muscle. A pedal that make it too easy to play fast or double will hinder this development.

Also the models I mentioned are easy to maintain and repair, unlike a used SpeedKing. Let the child know he will graduate to a SpeedKing (or any other easier pedal) one he/she masters the basics. Challenge them!

I would not recommend a speed king. I'd recommend something like a basic Gibraltar or PDP 400.

The Speed King makes it too easy to play fast. A beginner or child needs a challenge to strengthen/tone the muscles- and develop memory muscle. A pedal that make it too easy to play fast or double will hinder this development.

Also the models I mentioned are easy to maintain and repair, unlike a used SpeedKing. Let the child know he will graduate to a SpeedKing (or any other easier pedal) one he/she masters the basics. Challenge them!

Agree to disagree...

As the child's foot is too small for a standard pedal, the best way to set them up to succeed is by mastering the basics with a more forgiving and durable pedal. Once they have mastered the Speed King, they will then be ready to move on to an intermediate pedal.

Hell... even as an adult, I want all of my gear to be as fast and forgiving as possible.

For a child, drumming should fun rather than a laborious chore.

If you can find a used Tama StageStar pedal that will work well too. They are no longer made, but they were purposely made for a small bass drum, so the "uprights" are shorter than on normal pedals. They turn up used now and again.

Also, I assume the bass drum is a 16" if it's a junior kit? You could always use any pedal you want and just get a clamp on lifter/riser that would clamp to the bass drum hoop. That would allow you to basically use any pedal.

If you can find a used Tama StageStar pedal that will work well too. They are no longer made, but they were purposely made for a small bass drum, so the "uprights" are shorter than on normal pedals. They turn up used now and again.

Also, I assume the bass drum is a 16" if it's a junior kit? You could always use any pedal you want and just get a clamp on lifter/riser that would clamp to the bass drum hoop. That would allow you to basically use any pedal.
Thanks for the ideas. Riser might end up being his best option.

Back