Kickport evolution - elliptical bass reflex port for 3D printing

Matt Twigg

I designed and 3D printed an elliptically profiled bass reflex port for my old Yamaha touring kit 22”x16 bass drum. Bought a Kickport and noticed the difference but wondered if I could improve it further. Put an emad2 batter on it, took out the blanket, put one felt strip on the crappy black reso head it came with 30yrs ago and installed my design. It used to sound like a cardboard box, now it sounds like it is summoning Cthulhu and his minions from the deep, and to be honest, it scares me.
If anyone wants the file it’s a public document on Onshape, called Kickport 3 Elliptical, or hit me up for an STL file.

Attachments

• 1EBF2F30-AE78-4562-970A-3F0B4E0CBD9D.png
    1EBF2F30-AE78-4562-970A-3F0B4E0CBD9D.png
    587.3 KB · Views: 9

eric_B

I designed and 3D printed an elliptically profiled bass reflex port for my old Yamaha touring kit 22”x16 bass drum. Bought a Kickport and noticed the difference but wondered if I could improve it further. Put an emad2 batter on it, took out the blanket, put one felt strip on the crappy black reso head it came with 30yrs ago and installed my design. It used to sound like a cardboard box, now it sounds like it is summoning Cthulhu and his minions from the deep, and to be honest, it scares me.
If anyone wants the file it’s a public document on Onshape, called Kickport 3 Elliptical, or hit me up for an STL file.
Cool, thanks for sharing (y)

Did you reuse the rubber ring?

Matt Twigg

Not able to attach STLs on this forum, but here is the link to the editable document, and all associated files.
You just need a free Onshape account (create a student/education account) and you can select the STL's from the tabs at the bottom of the screen. Knock yourselves out!