Kickport bass drum port enhancer

oldmetalhead

What size hole should be used in a bass drum head to install a Kickport Bass Drum Enhancer. Remo makes a powerstroke head with a 5" hole. Will this do it?

The Kickport comes with a templare for the hole . I measured mine to be approx. 5 inches

I believe it fits into most stock pre-made holes, and the design of it also allows maybe an inch of wiggle room if a hole is a little bigger.

I think they are designed for cymbal holes that are at least 5". I have used Aquarian Port Holes on all of my kick drum reso heads. The Kick Port worked with that, and that's a 5" hole.

I have a kickport in a Powerstroke 3 - it fits OK, just slightly loose but the rubber sleeve holds it in place with no problems.

Thank all of you for your feedback. This had been a tremendous help. I need to get a few things in order then either I will re-cut the hole in my current bass drum head or get the blue head with the pre-cut hole. Thanks again guys. I should have a new video out in a few weeks.

Thank all of you for your feedback. This had been a tremendous help. I need to get a few things in order then either I will re-cut the hole in my current bass drum head or get the blue head with the pre-cut hole. Thanks again guys. I should have a new video out in a few weeks.
Get that bad boy installed. ?

i personally think its like buying fake jordans for your feet... im not trying to bash or anything, im sure they get the job done.. but why do people need to lower their standards for their car? dont they love their car?

<a href=https://prom-electric.ru/>.</a>
No one is forcing you to buy one, or click on a thread about them.

They do change the sound, and if the desired sound is achieved, it's doing it's job. Every drummer has a different idea in their head of how they want their kick drum to sound. I don't bash people for not porting their kick and having a nice long note, but to me I prefer a nice deep punchy kick with a quick sustain. Both are correct.

Comparing it to fake Jordan's as opposed to real Jordan's? So are we talking a fake kickport? That is a very weird comparison without any context. Fake Jordan's would still beat walking around barefoot outside, but might fall apart quicker than real ones.

Me: *after clicking on thread about KickPorts.

giphy.gif

Me: *after clicking on thread about KickPorts.
Is this a reference to the dissenting opinions regarding the kick port? Where using one is detrimental to the sound and function of the BD, and that those that perceive a positive qualitative sonic benefit are entirely delusional? Where the product is snake oil and is only successful at removing money from the wallet of fools?

Cause if you are, save me a seat.

Is this a reference to the dissenting opinions regarding the kick port? Where using one is detrimental to the sound and function of the BD, and that those that perceive a positive qualitative sonic benefit are entirely delusional? Where the product is snake oil and is only successful at removing money from the wallet of fools?

Cause if you are, save me a seat.

I'll put on some tea...

I sent my kickport to oldmetalhead. Waiting for the video.

I sent my kickport to oldmetalhead. Waiting for the video.

Even though I made a joke (or tried), I'm always interested in everyone's take on it. It'll be cool to see what the OP thinks.

I'm always interested in everyone's take on it.
An audible change was not noticed on my 22" bubinga Starclassic, while online responses & reviews indicate it clearly helps a smaller (18") kick drum.

What I noticed (after a trial month) was it rattled/buzzed against the drumhead when mounted in the port. This was clearly audible when recording. ☹️ I did not take the time to try and fix it (one user lined the edge of his bass drum port with gaffer's tape to provide a better seat of the KP on the port).

I don't use one most of the time, but I did notice a difference on my 20. I never bothered putting one on my 22. I just don't get why people click a post when they have ZERO interest in it. I guess they like to troll and waste time.
KAMAK calling people fools for buying one should look at the roster that has used them and think about it though. And I bet there are a few "snakeoil" type products he has been duped into buying before anyways. haha

I have one it's on a spare head that I have LOL. I have found that the kickport makes a big difference depending on the drum and the heads that you have on that drum. I've had it on three different drums actually Four. Sometimes it made the drum sound worse sometimes it made the drum sound better it all depended on what heads were on the drum and which drum it was on.

Has anyone tried their “FX Series” ports for toms and snare drums?

I just don't get why people click a post when they have ZERO interest in it. I guess they like to troll and waste time.
KAMAK calling people fools for buying one should look at the roster that has used them and think about it though. And I bet there are a few "snakeoil" type products he has been duped into buying before anyways. haha

You mistake my intent.

I feel it is immoral and predatory for a company to take advantage of someone's ignorance in order to make money. Whether it be Kickport, or Zildjian cymbal polish, etc. My objective is to protect the community from those that would cause (financial) harm, and to call out peers that perpetuate bad advice.... Like basing purchasing decisions on celebrity endorsements.

I'm the friend that will tell you when you've got something in your teeth, or a booger dangling, or when your GF is cheating on you.

You mistake my intent.

I feel it is immoral and predatory for a company to take advantage of someone's ignorance in order to make money. Whether it be Kickport, or Zildjian cymbal polish, etc. My objective is to protect the community from those that would cause (financial) harm, and to call out peers that perpetuate bad advice.... Like basing purchasing decisions on celebrity endorsements.

I'm the friend that will tell you when you've got something in your teeth, or a booger dangling, or when your GF is cheating on you.

Fair enough :)

I agree it's not necessary, but it does change the sound. I don't believe the hype it makes it deeper sounding as much as it mutes the reso a bit due to the weight of it and the mass on the head.. similar to a moongel.

As far as the FX ports. THOSE change the sound a ton, very dry. They were fun to play with, but I don't use them often.

Back