KickBrik

Cmdr. Ross

Platinum Member
I saw an interview with Simon Phillips and he used a paint can in his kick drum in the studio. One commenter said they use a KickBrik “which does the same thing”. When I search for this, all I get are educational materials.

What are they and what do they do?

They may have meant this:

Excellent product

I think Commander Ross is referring to something to prevent the bass drum from "creeping".

If your pedal has Velcro or rubber on the bottom to prevent sliding, that helps. Another thing that helps is a rug, obviously. Some Rubbermaid shelf liner under your pedal and/or spurs can help too.

If nothing else, get some rope/straps or even long shoelaces, tie it to your spurs, and then knot the rope etc. snugly around the back of your throne. As long as you weigh more than your bass drum, it won't creep anymore!

A brick in the front will work obviously, but all of these solutions I mentioned are much easier to transport than a brick (and look nicer too).

Paint can is laid on it's side I hope ha ha.

What's inside the paint can?

KikBrik - not sure if it's still around, but there's some descriptions and pictures here:

KikBrik - not sure if it's still around, but there's some descriptions and pictures here:

I remember reading about these in Modern Drummer back in the day. It is (was?) designed to absorb some of the funky midrange overtones and "EQ" your bass drum sound without needing an entire load of laundry inside. From what I recall of the review they seemed impressed that it did what it was advertised to do.

I use a small piece of foam mattress pad inside my bass drums to eliminate the "boing" and I've always thought that a Kikbrik would probably do an even better job, it's just an accessory that has frequently slipped my mind.

I saw an interview with Simon Phillips and he used a paint can in his kick drum in the studio. One commenter said they use a KickBrik “which does the same thing”. When I search for this, all I get are educational materials.

What are they and what do they do?

The paint can is filled with sand. It just adds mass to shorten the fundamental.
Yamaha is doing something similar with the weights in the lugs of the bass drum.
Kikbrik is a custom pillow.

I have known at least one person that put a cinder block with padding of course underneath, inside their Kik and it really made this kick sound great. I have also read did Simon Phillips paint can was filled with sand. I think it's the mass thing. That's why you should always have two Tom's on top your Kik LOL

I have known at least one person that put a cinder block with padding of course underneath, inside their Kik and it really made this kick sound great. I have also read did Simon Phillips paint can was filled with sand. I think it's the mass thing. That's why you should always have two Tom's on top your Kik LOL

Now you know at least 2 people.

I haven't used a cinder block since the early 80's.

Silver Sealer? Well done lol.

Last edited:
Back