Kick drum protector O-rings

rocker261

I'll be getting the protector rings for cutting out holes in the resonance heads of my kick drums for the first time. There seems to be several options of sizes: 4", 5", 6". I want to keep the hole as minimal as possible to get the most low end. Will most kick mic's fit into the 4" hole size?

TK-421

Larger kick mics like a Beta 52 most likely won’t fit through a 4” hole. But they don’t necessarily have to fit all the way through. I’ve often miced the kick in a way where the mic sits at the surface of the port hole facing toward the beater. If you mic it like that, a 4” hole should be fine.

C.M. Jones

I like 5" or 5.5" ports. They enable me to adjust internal muffling without removing the resonant head or risking damage to it. As long as you remain under 7", I doubt you'll compromise low-end dramatically.

lefty2

Platinum Member
I have a 4 inch port and a B-52. It was difficult to get the mic inside the drum but it was possible. Recently I started running my mic about an inch to 2 inches away from the port And I’m getting a deeper more resonant sound. We just ordered a new band logo head and since I’m running my mic outside of the drum I went my 3 1/2 inch hole