Kick Drum Pedals That Are Offset

Rattlin' Bones

Gold Member
As in not in line with beater, so you're clamping the pedal to an upward curving part of the hoop. Why do manufacturers do that? It's an awkward clamping point and not the best for the hoop or keeping pedal affixed to hoop.

I don’t know that it’s necessary to be that particular about placement. But you can get some pedals made in line with the beater, so if that’s what you require, so be it.

Which pedals?
No matter, You clamp the pedal at the very base, not the upward curving part. The beater still hits the drum, the drum goes boom.

If you clamp the offset one's at base of your hoop, the beater hits to right or left of center depending on which side the offset is towards.

Last edited:
Not sure if I really understood your question: So you want a pedal that attaches to the center of the bass drum hoop (I can relate to that) and have the beater hit exactly at the center of the head?
I guess there are two options if your pedal doesn't do that:
1. Get an offset beater like this one: https://bigbangdist.com/product/danmar-percussion-felt-bent-bass-drum-beater/
2. Not worry about it. I've read in some post about risers on 18" bass drums that some people actually prefer a beater that hits the head off-center, because it sounds better to them. Is it a sound issue or is it an aesthetic concern?

If you clam the offset one's at base of your hoop, the beater hits to right or left of center depending on which side the offset is towards.
Ya sorry I'm not getting you. Which pedals have the beater that far off center? Post a pic or name a model#?
I mean a double pedal for sure has one off center, but not by much.

Some of the clamps appear to be offset in order to make the beater hit *closer* to center. The chain goes straight up from the pedal to the cam, and the beater sits beside the cam. Therefore, the beater itself is off-center to compensate.

This is what I am talking about. I've seen others, too.

Offset Pedal
That's not really "offset," other than the beater being beside the cam, as I mentioned above. The brand is Offset, so-called because they have an offset double pedal, I believe. Bass drum sits in the middle, with a pedal to the left and to the right.

This, to me, is a pedal with an offset clamp, and if you scroll through the pics you can see the clamp aligns with the beater. That way, when they clamp is at bottom center on the hoop, the beater hits the middle of the head.

Edit - I took a screenshot so you can see the pic I mean.

Attachments

• 1000001289.jpg
    1000001289.jpg
    155 KB · Views: 4
So about a 1/2 inch. I just can't see moving the entire pedal over by one inch, to clamp on the upward curving part on the bass hoop, in order to have the beater hit 1/2 inch more toward the center.

So about a 1/2 inch. I just can't see moving the entire pedal over by one inch, to clamp on the upward curving part on the bass hoop, in order to have the beater hit 1/2 inch more toward the center.

I don't think any of the designs are intended to clamp anywhere but bottom center. I don't have any idea where that goofy idea came from.

The Pearl clamps in center. It is not the kind I'm referring to.

Others, like the Offset Single, If you clamp it at bottom of hoop, the beater hits 1" off center right-left. Align beater in center of kick right to left and it clamps off-center on the rise of the hoop.

The Ludwig Speed King does what you want. The pedal & beater are in a line with each other & hit the head right where you want it to. Unlike my DW5000 that is off-set to the pedal.

The Pearl clamps in center. It is not the kind I'm referring to.

Others, like the Offset Single, If you clamp it at bottom of hoop, the beater hits 1" off center right-left. Align beater in center of kick right to left and it clamps off-center on the rise of the hoop.
Yeah, I don't think they intend for you clamp it off center on the hoop. They just figure the beater hitting slightly off center doesn't matter much. I tend to agree, but people have preferences. 😊

As for the Pearl, I disagree about the clamp being centered, but I think it's just a terminology difference. To me, the clamp is offset from the center of the pedal in order to center the beater (which is also offset from the center of the pedal) on the head.

The reason the beater is offset is because drummers wanted to be able to adjust beater angle separately from pedal angle, so it requires a second sprocket next to the cam.

Last edited:
Back