Kick Case/Bag Question

trickg

Silver Member
I recently picked up a small bop sized kit, and I'm going to get some bags for the drums I don't currently have cases for, particularly the 14x14 tom and the 18x14 kick drum.

So here's the question - for those of you who use a kick drum riser, do you leave the riser on the drum when you pack it up - essentially, does the soft bag have room to accommodate the riser - or do you pull it off and reattach it every time?

Also, do you use a floor tom bag/case for the kick, or do you specifically have a kick drum bag/case for the smaller kick?

I'm just trying to weigh my options for the kick. As it currently stands, I don't think I can get my first choice for the kick drum, which would be Road Runner Touring series bag. I have those for the rest of my drums and really dig them, but they don't seem to be offered in an 18" diameter. My second, slightly more expensive choice, is a Protection Racket bag.

I'm open to options and opinions.

trickg

Silver Member
No one has any experience or advice with this?

How about a direct comparison of Ahead Armor bags to Protection Racket bags? Those are my main choices for the bags I'm going to get for this kit.

No Way Jose

Silver Member
I just use some cloth type shopping bags that I bought cheap at the resale shop. Works OK for my little kit.

calan

Silver Member
I take off the riser because I don't want it to get snagged on something or get pushed hard enough to crack the shell.

Morrisman

Platinum Member
My Yamaha 18 x 15 bass drum squeezes into a Gator/Protechtor 18" floor tom bag, but not with the riser attached. The tom holder base fits OK.

trickg

Silver Member
Ok - so the general consensus is to take off the riser? I can do that - this one seems a lot sturdier than the one they show in the photo that I think used to come with the kit. In fact, it looks just like the Gibraltar kick drum riser with the exception that it uses standard drum key tightening screws rather than the hex/Allen wrench type screws. I'll put some small marks on the hoop so I can get it back in the same place every time.

I'm still on the fence about which cases to get - for the kick drum it's a wash in terms of price for either the Protection Racket bag or the Ahead Armor bag - either one is going to run me about $95.

cutaway79

Silver Member
Ok - so the general consensus is to take off the riser? I can do that - this one seems a lot sturdier than the one they show in the photo that comes with the kit. In fact, it looks just like the Gibraltar kick drum riser with the exception that it uses standard drum key tightening screws rather than the hex/Allen wrench type screws. I'll put some small marks on the hoop so I can get it back in the same place every time.

I'm still on the fence about which cases to get - for the kick drum it's a wash in terms of price for either the Protection Racket bag or the Ahead Armor bag - either one is going to run me about $95.

I personally like the Ahead armor bags (though I've never used the PR bags). Being able to unzip the zipper down the side makes getting drums in so much easier. Also, they seem to have plenty of space for large brackets/mounting hardware. I hate having to squeeze my drums into bags that barely fit.

trickg

Silver Member
Good to know! Thanks! I was maybe just barely leaning toward the Ahead Armor, but I think that put it over the top.

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
Remember on an 18” bass drum, you don’t necessarily need a riser. Back in the jazz day, and even today, lots of people can get a nice tone out of their 18” without a riser. I say check out Peter Erskine on the 1983 Jack Pastorius live album, “Invitation”. That’s a wide-open 14x18 Yamaha Recording Custom that totally kicked that big band, so it can be done.

Trip McNealy

Gold Member
I have a 18x14 PDP New Yorker kick with a riser and I leave it attached 24/7. I use an AHEAD Armor 18x14 kick bag - perfect fit and no issues.

Drumolator

Platinum Member
When I had an 18" bass drum, I bought a bag for a 20" bass drum. I also left the riser on it all of the time. I almost always try to buy drum bags in inch bigger than the drum because it makes packing up way easier. Peace and goodwill.

PorkPieGuy

Platinum Member
I'm sure 18" drum bags may be a little over-sized in order to compensate for RIMS mounts, floor tom legs, or kick drum spurs. With that said, you could always get a 20" kick drum bag, and that should have enough room for your riser.