Kerope with the band...

T.L.

I received my 22" Kerope in the mail a few days ago. My first thoughts playing it on its own were kind of "meh".

Then I tried practising with a kit... Better.

Then yesterday I tried it jamming with a trio... Fantastic!

It sounded great and I'll put it right up there with my 22" K Medium Constantinople as my favourite cymbal.

As Steve Gadd says in the promo, the Kerope is a pleasure to play.

Mine is 2490g, so it's one of the heavier ones out there... Overall, I find it to be a relatively controlled cymbal, though it is capable of a serious crash when you lay into it.

BachBeat

Hey T.L.

I have a 2430g Kerope 22", and its a beaut. I have heard it by itself, with a kit, with a band, and with me listening to others play with a band out the front. It seems to get better and better at each of the above stages!

I've ben cycling through many, many cymbals looking for something that sounds like these new Keropes, and I'm a big fan. It's part of a larger 22", 20", 19", 15" set, and I think you could take them to just about any gig and sound great.

My favourite experience, though, was hearing them out the front. As soon as I heard the 22" Kerope with the band from out front, I sold my 22" K Con MT Low ride that night, which sounded great by itself, but progressively worse as you went through the stages to hearing it out the front with a band :-/ I'm sure they're not all like this, of course, but it just travelled further and further towards one-dimensional the more sound was around it. Conversely, the Kerope handles the full-band situation at an exceptional level.

Well pleased :)

How are you finding it, now that you've had it for a bit over a month?

T.L.

Hey Bach,
I finally started using my Kerope with my main kit a week or so ago. I have a jazz trio gig coming up amd will be using the Kerope in that context for the first time. I plan to go with a two cymbal setup, with the 22" Kerope on the right and my 22" Medium Constantinople (three rivets) on the left.

I'm currently debating whether or not to put some rivets in the Kerope as well.

The one weakness I've found is that because this cymbal is on the heavier side it's not ideal for brushes. (Perhaps I'll get a 19" or 20" Kerope next for that purpose!)

BachBeat

Nice one! I'm a bit of an enabler, so don't be surprised to see something like... "Yeah man, you probably should get a 19" and a 20" for that purpose...makes sense..." :)

My 19" and 20" are about mid-range weight wise, and the 22" is a little heavier than 'centre' (or center, depending on where you're from). The 19" is 1550g, and the 20" is 1958g, with the 22" weighing in at 2432g. Tony at cymbalsonly.com has (or had) a very nice 20" weighing in at 2098g that I heard the other day. I like my 20" coming in under 2kg...a little more wash and versatility...but really, we're probably talking about something that only the player/owner will notice - which is good, coz that's me!

Either way, I've tried both with a ProMark sizzler on top, and they both responded very well. Some cymbals I've played/owned seem to need a more pronounced angle on them set-up wise in order to have the 'rivet sustain' effect with the chain, but I've found that my Keropes seem to vibrate pretty consistently, alloying me to set the cymbals up as I like, throw the sizzler on and enjoy it. I've tried it on the 22", 20" and 19", and they've all done beautifully.

Perhaps a thought before the old drill comes out?

Hey Bach,
I finally started using my Kerope with my main kit a week or so ago. I have a jazz trio gig coming up amd will be using the Kerope in that context for the first time. I plan to go with a two cymbal setup, with the 22" Kerope on the right and my 22" Medium Constantinople (three rivets) on the left.

I'm currently debating whether or not to put some rivets in the Kerope as well.

The one weakness I've found is that because this cymbal is on the heavier side it's not ideal for brushes. (Perhaps I'll get a 19" or 20" Kerope next for that purpose!)

8Mile

Platinum Member
I have got to get my hands on some of these pies. Everyone whose opinion on cymbals I respect raves about them. Congrats!

BachBeat

I really enjoy them. I'm already looking to put a little aside to get another 22" and a 20" at different weights. Something like a 2050g-2100g in the 20" (I have a 1958g), and then something close to 2300g in the 22" (I have a 2432g). They aren't necessarily the 'holy grail' of cymbals, but gosh they sound good, and they remind me a fair bit of some holy grail cymbals :)

All of that being said, I've got 3 new Agops coming from Tony @ cymbalsonly.com in the next couple of weeks (22 TW, 20 SE and 20 Sig), so the sickness has well and truly taken hold :)

Huzzah!

I have got to get my hands on some of these pies. Everyone whose opinion on cymbals I respect raves about them. Congrats!

T.L.

BachBeat,
I appreciate the "enabling," so definitely keep it coming!

8 Mile,
Definitely try out the Keropes....

I'm in Canada, so I couldn't play mine before purchasing it, since outside of Toronto you don't see these stocked in stores... I bought my Constantinoples on Ebay sight unseen, so I guess I'm a gambler!

When I first played my Kerope it actually reminded me of a Paiste vibe. As I said earlier though, these cymbals shine in a musical context with a band and after spending more time with it it now really does feel and sound like a Zildjian, sort of a big brother to the Constantinople (which I dig too).

I've been playing the Kerope with my somewhat new (6 months) Instanbul Agop Traditional Medium high hats: They pair up nicely.

My regular Ks and Constantinople hats are shelved right now as I'm enjoying the Agops!

On a somewhat unrelated note (but I'll work some cymbal talk in!) I got to attend a Will Kennedy masterclass last weekend... Amazing! He was playing a 20" K Custom Dry Ride and just killing it. That guy has to be one of the grooviest drummers out there. I've been listening to all Yellowjackets the last few days after seeing him and the band play. Great guys, too...My brother and I ran into Bob Mintzer (sax) and Russel Ferrante (piano / keyboards) the day before the gig. Great guys and very humble. Killer players too of course.

T.L.

I really enjoy them. I'm already looking to put a little aside to get another 22" and a 20" at different weights. Something like a 2050g-2100g in the 20" (I have a 1958g), and then something close to 2300g in the 22" (I have a 2432g). They aren't necessarily the 'holy grail' of cymbals, but gosh they sound good, and they remind me a fair bit of some holy grail cymbals :)

All of that being said, I've got 3 new Agops coming from Tony @ cymbalsonly.com in the next couple of weeks (22 TW, 20 SE and 20 Sig), so the sickness has well and truly taken hold :)

Huzzah!
Nice!

I was thinking of a getting a "TW" myself at some point. That, a 20" Kerope and a 20" Constantinople medium thin low are next on my list.

I picked up a set of 20, 18, 14 Agop Traditional mediums on clearance a few months ago, so that's been my first experience with Instanbuls. They're great cymbals. I also picked up a Special Edition 18" Jazz Crash (clearance too), which I think would pair perfectly with the "TW".

BachBeat

I'd be more than happy to post a few things...not sure that I can get any stuff with the band, though...which was the original thread title :-/

Still, something is better than nothing. Leave it with me for a week or two.