Keplinger

Fred D

Pioneer Member
Been wanting one for a while. Most have Dunnett throw offs and I've had one fail on me. That was a no go. I wanted stainless in 6 X 14 or 6.5 X 14. Found a six with a bullet proof Trick throw off.

Sounds like this:

Attachments

• keplinger.jpg
    keplinger.jpg
    384.9 KB · Views: 33
Last edited:
Been wanting one for a while. Most have Dunnett throw offs and I've had one fail on me. That was a no go. I wanted stainless in 6 X 14 or 6.5 X 14. Found a six with a bullet proof Trick throw off.

Sounds like this:

Very cool man - I always wanted to try one out. Everyone I ever heard that owns one had them tuned low and super ringy (Our Lady Peace style) - so I never got a great experience in person with one. It would be a blast to own!

I bought the drum in the picture. Been looking at them for at least a year.

Two days into it now, The drum arrived with an Evans Genera HD batter head. I played it for a while but knew right away that wasn't gonna happen. It had a nice dry sound with little sustain. That's not what I want in a drum like this. LOL. I have ply drums for that. So off goes the batter and on goes a Remo CS, Not quite a two ply. Kinda a ply and a half. Well. in the middle anyway. That started opening the drum up. Played that for a while.

The reso head looked like the original head so I replaced that and changed out the mylar straps for cord. That gave the drum a nice high pitched snap with moderate sustain. Getting there. Let it sit over night. As expected both heads stretched so brought it back up to tension. Played it some more and messed with the tuning. Eighth of a turns. Play, record, listen. with my ears, head phones, studio monitors.

Starting to sound good. Now the wires, 16, & 20 strand steel. 24 strand brass. Didn't like the brass on this drum. Then 42 strand steel. Not too tight. I back the wires off and tap around the edge of the drum. When I can hear the snares activate I'm pretty close.

See what I think tomorrow................................

Decided to try a Evans G1 today. Had a couple laying around. It's actually drier than the Remo CS. Might be a heavier coating and it's not broke in yet, All the combos sound good. Looking for something specific.

Decided to try a Evans G1 today. Had a couple laying around. It's actually drier than the Remo CS. Might be a heavier coating and it's not broke in yet, All the combos sound good. Looking for something specific.

Try a UV1. Don't let the on-paper similarities fool you, it's a totally different animal then a coated g1.

I had some UV1s when they came out and they were OK but I didn't see any advantage over Ambassadors. I put the Remo CS head back on and that seems to be the best head so far. I usually don't care for that head, but on this drum it works really well. This snare sounds really good!!

I use 14 and 13“ Ayotte Keplinger and play them as a side and main, running the 13 wide open with a Evans uv1 batter and the 14” with Evans power centre. These snares are meant to ring and crunch that’s what hey excel at. Trying to mute them really runs against there natural ultra happy yet aggressive nature.

I use 14 and 13“ Ayotte Keplinger and play them as a side and main, running the 13 wide open with a Evans uv1 batter and the 14” with Evans power centre. These snares are meant to ring and crunch that’s what hey excel at. Trying to mute them really runs against there natural ultra happy yet aggressive nature.

I'm using the same head as you. Mine just has a Remo logo on it, Thanks for the input!

Exactly. It makes no sense to buy an drum like that and then try to muffle it’s natural loudness and resonance. Get a different drum.

Exactly. It makes no sense to buy an drum like that and then try to muffle it’s natural loudness and resonance. Get a different drum.

You have to know the characteristics of the drum you're buying. Guys buy drums on reputation." The most recorded drum in the world". LOL Then they find out it doesn't sound like the most recorded drum in the world and then they kill it with some some like sucking head and roll of tape. LOL

Cleaning up the finish. There were a few little dings on the other side of drum. A little triple flange scratched from a rack tom,
While I'm at it I'm thinking, All brass hardware. All black hardware, or a combination like brass lugsand black hoops, Or the other way around,

What di you guys think? I can take it to one more lever of finish shine,

Attachments

• keolinger raw.jpg
    keolinger raw.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 11
  • keplinger shinney.jpg
    keplinger shinney.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 13
Back