Kenny Rogers Dies

Benthedrummer

My girlfriend just told me.

I remember The Gambler being one of my favourite songs as a younger kid growing up on the family farm.

R.I.P Mr Rogers.

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member
Man remember the First Edition, then he took off solo. I like his movies and personality about as much as anything. My condolences to his family and friends. I don't think most would think of him in psychedelic rock terms.
Wow that was cool. KR playing bass, shaggy hair, small hoop earring, I had no idea. I didn't know he even knew how to play anything. I thought he was just a singer.

Drums up front, this should be the norm! Dude had some aux hats on his kick. Wild.

GetAgrippa

Platinum Member
Wow that was cool. KR playing bass, shaggy hair, small hoop earring, I had no idea. I didn't know he even knew how to play anything. I thought he was just a singer.

Drums up front, this should be the norm! Dude had some aux hats on his kick. Wild.
I remember this coming out in 70s-it was pretty dang cool. I liked the drummer up front too. It is wild. I think people related to him because he wasn't a big headed musician or actor but seemed more the common man and someone you'd like to hang with.

opentune

Platinum Member
One of the thousands of people I spent time with during my broadcast career. Truly a nice human being.
Interesting, .....John where were you a DJ boradcaster....or did you move around? Did you get out when they went to planned programming?

johnwesley

Silver Member
Interesting, .....John where were you a DJ boradcaster....or did you move around? Did you get out when they went to planned programming?
Started at a small daytimer in southern california. Worked in Portland OR, Houston TX, San Diego CA, L.A., and ended my career in Phoenix AZ. Got out in 2008. Radio changed terribly during the 3 plus decades I was in it. Clear Channel corp. and others ruined it. Oh well, at least during my years I got to meet people I grew up admiring on TV, the movies, etc.

Super Phil

Ha, I just did some reading on wikipedia about First Edition. The drummer is Mickey Jones... who after First Edition disbanded went on to have an acting career and appeared in many movies and a recurring role on Home Improvement. I had no idea!

Vandalay

Started at a small daytimer in southern california. Worked in Portland OR, Houston TX, San Diego CA, L.A., and ended my career in Phoenix AZ. Got out in 2008. Radio changed terribly during the 3 plus decades I was in it. Clear Channel corp. and others ruined it. Oh well, at least during my years I got to meet people I grew up admiring on TV, the movies, etc.
Yep, I lasted 30 years in radio as well, over half of that time spent doing afternoons in Nashville...Every word John speaks about Clear channel, Cumulus & others ruining the business is 100% true.

johnwesley

Silver Member
ADENDUM: My 2 favorite Kenny songs....."The Greatest"......."King of Oak Street". Absolutely awesome songs that really relate to life.

DrumEatDrum

Platinum Member
Ha, I just did some reading on wikipedia about First Edition. The drummer is Mickey Jones... who after First Edition disbanded went on to have an acting career and appeared in many movies and a recurring role on Home Improvement. I had no idea!
Me neither.

But when I clicked on the video, I thought the drummer looked familiar-ish, but not from drumming.

I looked him up on Wikipedia, and wow, he's been in a ton of movie and tv shows in various bit parts over the years.

gmiller598

Prior to the First Edition he also played for Bob Dylan after Levon Helm quit in 1966.

Anduin

Pioneer Member
Man remember the First Edition, then he took off solo. I like his movies and personality about as much as anything. My condolences to his family and friends. I don't think most would think of him in psychedelic rock terms.
That was waaay cooler than I expected. Usually old TV stuff like that is all lip-synced, but theses guys seem to be actually playing.

I watched a Kenny and Dolly duet right after this vid. So different! What a range the dude had in his career!