Kelly Shu

DrumWhipper

Changing things up a bit on both of my gig kits. I’m going to install the Kelly Shu kits in both of my kick drums and start mic’ing them internally. My kick was mic’d internally at Saturday’s show and I really like the sound it produced. I should have it all set up and ready to go for our next show.

Good call. You'll really like it once your mic placement is dialed in. Which model Kelly Shu mounts are you using?

I give that product an A+. Definitely makes things easier, lighter and better sounding. Price is right too. You generally don’t get all 4 in the same product.

I've been very happy with mine since starting to use them in 2012. I use two in my touring kick - one for a Shure 91 flat mic, and the horseshoe style for a Shure Beta 52. Never a problem with the rubber supports pulling out or failing, and the mics stay in there during the off season, so no muss no fuss. :)

i love the kelly shu, however its not very compatible with my current bass drum microphones (without some removing of shu parts and gaffa taping in place) so ive had to stop using the SHU for now. but when i was using them with other types of mics they worked perfectly and were great for placement! :D

I really like the SHU. I made some additional mods to my bass drum, adding a jack in the shell, and it made gig set up sooooo much easier.
I did much the same with mine, just with the May jack and whip instead.

I ran the jack through a hole at the bottom of the head just big enough for the jack, then plugged with a grommet. The grommet barely impacts the reso tone and not drilling required.

I ran the jack through a hole at the bottom of the head just big enough for the jack, then plugged with a grommet. The grommet barely impacts the reso tone and not drilling required.
I did that for a while, but the vibration of the head kept wearing the rubber of the grommet out, so I drilled...

I've never seen machine screws threaded directly into wood like that; without a nut or a threaded plate. 😲

I have the May system and their vent hole jack is a slick setup for those going this route. It sticks into the current vent hole, but still allows it to vent. No drilling or modifications required and you have an easy to access connection.
View attachment 105859
That looks like a slick set-up. I wasn't even aware of it when I installed my jack in the shell.

BTW, those machine screws just pass through small holes - the nuts hadn't yet been screwed on. :)

I'll have to watch for that. So far, so good after 6 months of daily playing.
You might be fine. Lots of variables at play, the most likely being the material the grommet is made of. I don't know how much they might vary in durability. I'd imagine head tension and muffling might affect things, too.

It is worth watching, though. The edge of the head will damage the cable in short order. (Don't ask how I know that, lol)

The May system is nice, but yours looks like a nice clean installation as well. Same end result, really. (y)
Thank you! It's worked well for me. I understand many folks wouldn't want to drill the shell, but I plan to keep these drums til I die, and I don't mind them bearing my handiwork when they move on to the next owner. 😉

Reactions: J-W
I've never seen machine screws threaded directly into wood like that; without a nut or a threaded plate. 😲

I have the May system and their vent hole jack is a slick setup for those going this route. It sticks into the current vent hole, but still allows it to vent. No drilling or modifications required and you have an easy to access connection.
View attachment 105859
These are great. I use them on 2 bass drums. Perfect!

My Shu has been ordered and is on the way. In my research of the product I’ve seen a lot of discussion about mic placement on the unit. For those running this set up how is your mic positioned, and do you have any photos?

I'm using the Kelly Shu with a Shure Beta 91A - awesome combination for collecting kick and inner resonances. The cable leaves the shell at one of the two vent holes, the (original DW) front head has six small holes, too, so no rebound problems.

Back