Keller Bass Drum: 8 or 10-ply?

MikeM

Platinum Member
This is the question I'm trying figure out. My impression is that 8-ply will be more tonal but not project as well. The 10-ply will sacrifice some of the tone for increased projection and a higher tone.

Which would you order and why?

DrumEatDrum

Platinum Member
You're break down is correct, assuming all else is equal.

From there, it depends on the type of music you play, and are you normally mic-ed up when you gig, or not.

My 2 cents:

I think 8 ply would be work for most jazz/rock/fusion types.

10 ply if you play a lot of metal, or do a lot of non-club gigs where you don't always have the benefit of a microphone.

MikeM

Platinum Member
Awesome! Thanks for all the input! I pulled the trigger on the 8-ply because I got pressured into it (not really). I'll be blaming this entire forum if it sucks, though. (Except DED, of course! Thanks dude!)

Artstar

Platinum Member
Mike, I've been through alot of these kits/shells, and I'm telling you, the 10 ply is where it's at, INCLUDING toms. I'm not kidding man, and this is from someone who has experience with both.

The 10 ply IS NOT THICK. It's like medium at most, at 6.5 or so mm. It's PERFECT.

MikeM

Platinum Member
Mike, I've been through alot of these kits/shells, and I'm telling you, the 10 ply is where it's at, INCLUDING toms. I'm not kidding man, and this is from someone who has experience with both.

The 10 ply IS NOT THICK. It's like medium at most, at 6.5 or so mm. It's PERFECT.
Yeah? Well where the hell were you yesterday when I was asking the question?!!

The 8-ply is 1/4", which is like 6.35 mm. The 10-ply is 5/16", or just shy of 8mm. I've had two 8-plies and both sound(ed) great. The 10 was just too much of an unknown.

You ain't off the hook, bro - you're still getting blamed if this thing sucks!

Artstar

Platinum Member
Sorry Mike, I did'nt see it when you posted initially. Remember, all these guys in shops, etc..., who tell you 8 ply over and over, almost ALWAYS have NO experience with the 10 ply. It's not even a thick shell. Keller does'nt make a standard thick shell for toms/kick. They never have.

These are the correct specs from one of the most keller affiliated Precision Drum:

8 ply - 0.21 inch ( 5.4 mm ) thick
10 ply - 0.26 inch ( 6.7 mm ) thick