Keith Moon

beatdat

He was something, indeed. But his meter always made it hard to play along to. Still, he was as good live as he was in the studio.

Reactions: TJK

C.M. Jones

Exceptional musician. Very troubled man. It's sad that those characteristics so often accompany each other, but unlocking creativity and insight can also conjure demons of self-destruction. Average people rarely penetrate the surface of reality, while immense talent can dive so deep that coming up for air is impossible. That's sometimes the price that has to be paid for a life committed to art.

Last edited:

Darth Vater

Which is precisely why attempting to emulate him is a waste of time. If you're doing a Who cover, make it your own. Anything else will fall short of the original.
Some truth to that to be sure but I managed to steal a few licks of his as I was coming up in the biz. I think I wore out the grooves of the Sparks song on live at leeds. Some phenomenal drumming there! :oops:

C.M. Jones

Some truth to that to be sure but I managed to steal a few licks of his as I was coming up in the biz. I think I wore out the grooves of the Sparks song on live at leeds. Some phenomenal drumming there! :oops:
Oh, sure. I guess we can all borrow some Moon chops here and there. He was just so unique (and, in some ways, unorthodox) that we're hard-pressed to find a home in his outlandish style of drumming.

johnwesley

Silver Member
"I'm the best Keith Moon style drummer in the world!"......Keith Moon

An amazing entertainer as well as drummer. I know everyone thinks Bonham, Peart, etc., are the greatest rock drummers ever, but in my mind no one came close to Keith. He wasn't a drummer. He was the drums. Period.

D

Deleted member 525878

He was a natural, an original. I wish that he had a drum set at Tara House and shredded with all that time off. Instead, he slowly destroyed himself with booze and drugs. I have the Tony Fletcher book, and am amazed at all the stories! I loved his playing on all the Who albums. I even purchased the remastered "Two Sides Of The Moon" just to have it in his honor.
To me, stylistically, he was the Elvin Jones of Rock drummers with his rolling, tumbling, galloping playing. Even Tony Williams loved him!

Just my $0.02

tfgretsch

He was a natural, an original. I wish that he had a drum set at Tara House and shredded with all that time off. Instead, he slowly destroyed himself with booze and drugs. I have the Tony Fletcher book, and am amazed at all the stories! I loved his playing on all the Who albums. I even purchased the remastered "Two Sides Of The Moon" just to have it in his honor.
To me, stylistically, he was the Elvin Jones of Rock drummers with his rolling, tumbling, galloping playing. Even Tony Williams loved him!

Just my $0.02
your $0.02 just purchased alot of truth ! Well said!

Like ssssoooooo many wonderfully talented musicians and personalities, self destruction seems to go hand in hand with their talents. RIP Keith Moon. He was instrumental in that he just went off on a different path while playing drums... hell he just didn't keep a beat and play fills, he was MUSICAL in all respects. Listen to Tommy ......