Keith Carlock Fill

Wavelength

Platinum Member
URL doesn't work, but I'll answer anyway. It's two kicks, two toms and a double stroke roll on the snare drum.

moontheloon

Silver Member
thats a typical Carlock fill....he does it constantly...

he uses different variations of llrrll kkRL

lowercase being on snare, k meaning kick, and capitols on rack toms ......but at the speed he plays it turns the tom hits almost into a flam

he throws that type of thing around a lot.....its his "go to " lick

Stijnn1990

Yeah I know his "basic" fill but this time he plays something in a grouping of 9 (I think).
And I can't figure it out..

samthebeat

Silver Member
slow it down on a vid you will get it. its the best way to work out fills and stuff, transcribe is a good program. or for free VLC slows stuff down, and doesnt degrade the audio too bad. I use it all the time to work stuff for myself.

Stitch Kaboodle

Nice transcription. What program did you use?

As for the fill. Try playing around with an inverted 6 stroke roll:

RllrrL RllrrL

Accent the first and last stroke. Replace the double 'r' with a double bass drum.

RllrrL RllffL.

It starts this way. That's as much as I could pick up without slowing it down.

Sardaukar

Here's my educated guess:

I've been studying these particular Keith fills a lot and i need to correct you :) When he plays the basic figure with two kicks and two single accents followed by four double strokes (all 32th notes which together is a dotted quarter note in length), he sometimes (as here too) just replaces the second one of the double strokes (being with the left hand) with a single stroke accents, leaving the whole roll "un-even", like so:
the basic figure:
Code:
count: 1---&---2---&---3---&---
kick:  BB----------BB----------
toms:  --RL----------RL--------
snare: ----rrllrrll----rrllrrll  and so forth
the one double stroke replaced with an accent:

Code:
count: 1---&---2---&---3---&---
kick:  BB----------BB----------
toms:  --RL----------RL--------
snare: ----rrL-rrll----rrL-rrll  and so forth
There's actually no space between the added accent and the following double strokes, and he doesn't twist the order of hands with a paradiddle-diddle, it's much more simple than that. You just melt the roll together playing one note less. You easily hear something like a paradiddle-diddle going on there but it's just the way he glues the double's after the accent that makes it sound like an even 32th note flow. Because it's so fast, you don't easily notice one of those notes missing, but that's the way I figured it out watching his dvd. :) if I have time I can try to record this for you guys. I really like the way he uses this fill, it always ends up sounding completely new because he can start the fill on any of the eight-notes of a bar.

Last edited: