Keep it greasy

jonescrusher

Pioneer Member
So my experimenting with sibelius and pdf creating leads me to share this transcription.

Note that I didn't transcribe this myself, but i've retranscribed from an older, harder to read transcription that I found somewhere on the internet. My original is not tagged with the transcribers name, and i can't find the original site :(

Great drum part to a great tune, some very interesting odd time grooves to work on. I was lazy so, i haven't put in the corresponding close hihat markings, or most of the accents....

I'll put my other trnscription of another zappa number up shortly.

And another thing, this doesn't cover the entire piece, it stops at around the start of teh crazy instrumental.

Attachments

• keepitgreasy.pdf
    37.5 KB · Views: 784

KCDrummer

Silver Member
Nice! I think Joe's Garage is one of the ultimate drumming albums ever. Vinnie is just a beast. Didn't Zappa write all that stuff out for him? That's what I heard about that album--every single note Vinnie played had been composed by Zappa, fills and everything. That would make what you just did sort of redundant, but kudos to you for doing it anyway!

jonescrusher

Pioneer Member
Nice! I think Joe's Garage is one of the ultimate drumming albums ever. Vinnie is just a beast. Didn't Zappa write all that stuff out for him? That's what I heard about that album--every single note Vinnie played had been composed by Zappa, fills and everything. That would make what you just did sort of redundant, but kudos to you for doing it anyway!

There's the old story that Steve Vai tells about him sight reading some crazy polyrhymic audition piece whilst simultaneously adjusting his glasses and eating sushi. Zappa must have loved finding a player that could finally play whatever he thought up.
You're right, 'retyping' this was more for my own benefit, it really helps the concepts sink in, even if you're just copying. Transcribing really is the best thing you can do to improve yourself as a player without sticks in your hand.

toddbishop

Platinum Member
Didn't Zappa write all that stuff out for him? That's what I heard about that album--every single note Vinnie played had been composed by Zappa, fills and everything.

No. Much of the music is highly arranged, but Vinnie is playing.

What about the guitar solo, JC? That's what Charles Dowd said when I showed up to my lesson with my KIG transcription... here it is, anyway-- I finally got around to writing it up 25 years later.... Drum! Magazine published this last year, and I've included my introduction to the piece.

Attachments

• TODD-BISHOP_COLAIUTA-TRANSCRIPTION_INTRODUCTION_POLISH_1-21-13.pdf
    261.2 KB · Views: 207
  • pdxdrummer.com_keep-it-greasey-guitar-solo.pdf
    93 KB · Views: 182

moncholo

yes! thanks @toddbishop! I'd come across this a couple years ago and started to practice it before other life stuff took over. had been looking for this for a couple days with no luck, even asking around in reddit. finally thought "someone over at the DrummerWorld forum might have it" and came here to find this. glad to have it again. thanks for your great work! I'm gonna have fun playing this one :D

Spreggy

Silver Member
I heard a transcription this morning, by this Ruben guy on youtube who transcribes a bunch of great stuff. It picks up where Jonescrusher's left off.