Karen Carpenter

GruntersDad

Administrator - Mayor
Staff member
She wasn't in a big rock band at the time so her exposure was limited. Ed Sullivan decided she and her brother desrved the same visibility as the Beatles and had them on his show. The music was middle of the road, which I'm sure, limited her visibility.

felonious69

@jimb Not sure, chicken/egg scenario.
But I do know that all of the suicides I personally knew were "Happy, Great, No Problems", until they were dead...sometimes the next day.

TALK TO EACH OTHER, PEOPLE!

She did look extatically happy while drumming though.

wraub

The drummer playing behing Miss Carpenter? Pretty sure that's former Mouseketeer Cubby O'Brien.

This performance says it all right here. Wait till they get to Johnny B. Goode. Holy smokes! Watch it until the end.

felonious69

I had the shortest marriage of all time ever!
That being NEVER.
One of the reasons I am still happy (see alternate thread).

Paul Blood

I think she easily could have played drums on all The Carpenters albums, but I suppose the producers wanted to use Hal Blaine since he was the drum guy of the day, they knew he could nail it, and I suppose so Karen could focus on her magical vocals. But honestly I'm not sure why she didn't play on the albums, or if she even wanted to? Anyone know why?

Last edited:

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
I think she easily could have played drums on all The Carpenters albums, but I suppose the producers wanted to use Hal Blaine since he was the drum guy of the day, they knew he could nail it, and I suppose so Karen could focus on her magical vocals. But honestly I'm not sure why she didn't play on the albums, or if she even wanted to? Anyone know why?
I think it was an economic decision. She could have done it, but Hal could do it faster.