K EFX Cracked, what next?

Grolubao

I love my K EFX but throughout the years it developed cracks all over each opening. In 20 years I never cracked a cymbal so this is a shame.

I love the sound, but don't want to end up again with a cracked cymbal if I buy another one

IMG_3463.JPGAny recommendations for something similar?

To me, all these effects cymbals with the holes cut out of them all sound the same. They all are designed to produce the "trashy crash" sound. Why spend premium money on a K when virtually any cymbal made that way will give you that sound.

For the money, I think the Wuhan Linear Smash cymbal sound great. They actually sound musical and not just like a hunk of annoying metal. B20 bronze too, just like the K.

To me, all these effects cymbals with the holes cut out of them all sound the same.
I have to agree, at least partially. Maybe not "all the same" ..... but very similar ...... and I sure wouldn't spend big money for one. I picked up a 16" Sabian "mystery cymbal" that a So. Cal cymbal smith had customized with Zildjian "style" cut outs ........... for $84. Works/sounds great, for what it's supposed to do, and I won't lose any sleep if and when it cracks.

To me, all these effects cymbals with the holes cut out of them all sound the same. They all are designed to produce the "trashy crash" sound. Why spend premium money on a K when virtually any cymbal made that way will give you that sound.

For the money, I think the Wuhan Linear Smash cymbal sound great. They actually sound musical and not just like a hunk of annoying metal. B20 bronze too, just like the K.

Yeah fair, it's just that Wuhan's are not easily available here in the UK and to import it I'd end up paying about the same as the K EFX

Unfortunate side effect of the design of these types of cymbals, the cutouts create weak points. I agree with some above posts that the general nature and sound profile of these types of cymbals makes buying higher end vs lower end significantly less relevant then say hi hats or ride. If you don't mind the brightness of B8 you can get budget FX cymbals from any big name for cheap. If you must have b20 then try Stagg. Or buy old A's for cheap and cut them.

If you are looking for an alternative white noise sound maybe try a stack?

I absolutely notice the difference between these kinds of cymbals, but I can very much understand that perspective.

If it were my cymbal, I'd try enlarging the holes past the cracks before shopping. It's already got holes in it, and you're already considering a new cymbal if you were to absolutely butcher it.

FWIW, I prefer Sabian O-Zones, more specifically Evolutions.

Last edited:
I have an A Custom 16" EFX and a K 18" EFX and they are very different sounding cymbals. The K EFX is larger so that's a big part of it, naturally.

I like effects cymbals for the occasional accent. I use them sparingly.

I have no advice for the OP other than the buy a new cymbal or maybe drill a hole to stop the crack from spreading. The cymbal is already trashy sounding by design so it's unlikely to be negatively affected by drilling.

Last edited:
B20: Istanbul Agop Xist Ion crashes.
B8: Paiste PSTX Swiss crashes.
I prefer both to any Zildjian EFX I heard.
Yeah. I don't know about the UK, but here in the States, and in Europe, the Paiste is less than half the price of the Zildjian--at Thomann it's basically 1/3rd the price.

drill five-thirty second (bit) rivet holes at the ends of all the cracks (add rivets if you want) and get some more life from it. (drill beyond the crack Be "like new" again

I had a ZHT 18" EFX years ago and had the same problem. Replaced it under warranty and that replacement also cracked within a few weeks. Sold the replacement of the replacement, didn't want to go through it again.

I do have a Paiste 10" PSTX Swish Splash and a 14" PSTX Flanger Crash that i use in stacks with Meinl Generation X Filter Chinas. Would think they would have cracked by now, but they're still going strong and outlasted the Zildjian EFX crashes. So maybe a Paiste PSTX Swiss Crash is an option?

I went to try other cymbals today and they just don't sound similar to the attack that I get from the K EFX or the A Custom EFX. I'd prefer a cymbal without holes that could produce a similar sound. I'm looking mainly at Zildjian since I don't really want to mix brands (OCD)

I went to try other cymbals today and they just don't sound similar to the attack that I get from the K EFX or the A Custom EFX. I'd prefer a cymbal without holes that could produce a similar sound. I'm looking mainly at Zildjian since I don't really want to mix brands (OCD)

K Cluster Crash? Crash of Doom? Special Dry Crash? K Custom Trash Smash?
Just a couple of Zildjian trashy sounding cymbals :)

K Cluster Crash? Crash of Doom? Special Dry Crash? K Custom Trash Smash?
Just a couple of Zildjian trashy sounding cymbals :)
Good call--I was surprised how trashy the K Cluster Crash sounded. Not incredibly trashy, but trashier than I was expecting.

Reactions: iCe
...buying a new one?
Sure but I'm not going to buy another cymbal when clearly there is a manufacturing problem with it. Literally every cigar hole has cracks in the same place which suggests there is a problem with it.

I'm looking at other solutions:

17" K CUSTOM HYBRID

18/16” K CLUSTER CRASH

19” K Custom Trash Smash

18” A CUSTOM EFX

These ones could be similar. A custom EFX should have a more resistant alloy and thickness that could do the trick

How does it sound with all the cracks? If I still enjoyed the sound, I'd keep on using it until it shattered or use it as a hi-hat top.

The cluster crash does sound great from internet clips although never heard one in the flesh. I did hear an old Bosphorus Stanton Moore Trash Crash, yummy

Back