K Constantinoples for Americana/alt. Country/singer-songwriter?

Chunkaway

Silver Member
I love the sound of some of the really light Zildjian K Constantinople cymbals I have heard recently. I know these cymbals are geared toward jazz guys, but I'm wondering if they could work for the Americana/alr. Country-singer-songwriter stuff I have been playing lately. (sort of like Wilco, the Band, Lucinda Williams.)

I love the sound of some of the really light Zildjian K Constantinople cymbals I have heard recently. I know these cymbals are geared toward jazz guys, but I'm wondering if they could work for the Americana/alr. Country-singer-songwriter stuff I have been playing lately. (sort of like Wilco, the Band, Lucinda Williams.)

I think they'd be ideal for that, very expressive and colorful. Generally speaking, a good-sounding cymbal always tends to sound good, no matter what the setting.

I just bought a 22" medium and it doesn't sound out of place playing rock.

You would probablybebest to look at the larger size models, like 17",18",19" crashes, .22" ride and 14" hats. I would also suggest some overhead micing, like the Shure SM81 to help these cut through more.

You would probablybebest to look at the larger size models, like 17",18",19" crashes, .22" ride and 14" hats. I would also suggest some overhead micing, like the Shure SM81 to help these cut through more.

Rick, do you thin they are too dark to cut through? Right now I'm using a mix of vintage Zildjian As, some Istanbul Agop, and Bosphorus. They seem to be okay.

Re: K Constantinople for Americana/alt. Country/singer-songwriter?

I love the sound of some of the K Constantinople cymbals, I've been listening to them for months now and they might be my next acquisition, as soon as I find the right ones. I believe that they would sound great under the genres you mentioned.

Dennis

Rick, do you thin they are too dark to cut through? Right now I'm using a mix of vintage Zildjian As, some Istanbul Agop, and Bosphorus. They seem to be okay.

Hey Chunk,
The Constantinople crashes really aren't that thin,and should cut through ok ( especially if miced). I have one of the Zildjian Rarities series K Dark thin crash rides (19") and it is thinner than the Constantinople crashes and it cuts through some pretty loud music well.I have a 19 " K Zildjian Dark thin crash and it doesn't cut at all ( too much low end).So you may want to try a few in the store side by side and do some comparison shopping.

Personally I prefer thinner crashes, because of the immediacy of response and the warmth.My favorite crashes are my Paiste reissue 602s.

I play in an Americana/Southern Rock/Blues style band. This is my cymbal set up:

14'' New Beats
16'' Sabian AAX Dark Crash
17'' Zildjian A Series thin crash
17'' Zildjian K Dark Medium Thin crash
22'' 60's Zildjian Ride

I play similar tunes (Americana/honky tonk/groove rock) and I'd give my left n*t for an 18" Constantinople. Presently, I'm obsessed with the sound of this thing for just this sort of music.

Love my K Connie 20 inch Hi Bell Low ride.

I love playing it more than my K Custom Medium 20 inch which has plenty of ping but of course not as buttery and expressive. When I need cut that's the cymbal I use.

I believe the timbre and character of the K Constantinople works great with Americana/alt rock but it does depend on how loud and over driven the general guitar mix is for me. If the 6 stringers power up big time you'll be lost in the wash with the Constantinople rides but probably not the hi hats and crashes. If our fretted friends (as well as us) are sensitive to balance then it can sound really good in that mix.

If I had the dough or the endorsement I'd go with a 22" K Custom High Definition Ride. More attack than K Connies but still that warmer sound.

My .02

Jim

Back