K Constantinople vs Foundry Reserve

Rolltide

Two premium cymbals, very expensive , any body have thoughts as a comparison of these great Pies? What else my compare that is less expensive - thx much

I had a Constantinople crash: it was meh. I sold it a couple months later.

What I really wanted to get my hands on was a set of Constantinople hats. But it never came to fruition.

now.

I currently own 2 Foundry reserve crashes and a pair of the 15” hats. Could not be happier especially with the hats.

I understand the honeymoon phase and recency bias, etc. but I never even entered the honeymoon phase with the Constantinople.

Had the foundry reserve hats since March, still happier than ever.

I think that the Meinl’s sound better. Probably more versatile than the K Constantinoples, too.

Opposite experience of organworthyplayer337. I played K Cons as my main cymbals from c. 2008-2021. They were awesome. If you're new to them it takes a minute to figure them out as they are pretty stiff feeling. That's by design, of course.

I got to play through a big bunch of the Foundry Reserves (I was in the physical location of a prominent online cymbal retailer) and found them to be, well, mediocre K Cons with a good marketing schtick.

But the thing is, really, everything depends on how YOU play and how YOU respond to cymbals. There's no objective best-- the best one is the one that inspires you to play.

Edit: The best way to experiment with K Cons is to get them used. They are still expensive used but if you are patient you should be able to get a 22" for under $350, a 20" for $325, and a set of hats for $350. If you do go that route, I think that it's worth trying to find the newer ones-- post c. 2016 a couple of the models are voiced differently.

The problem with trying to get cymbals like K Cons is that there really aren't very many imitators. The new Agop traditional jazz cymbals are also basically K Con knockoffs but they're also expensive. So I guess it depends on what you're looking for.

Last edited:
Both are hammered so much that there is a lot of variation from one piece to the next. You really have to cherry pick them. One of the best sounding jazz rides I ever heard was a K Con, but then when I went to buy the same exact model, I was not able to find one that tickled me the same way. They were all good, just not “wow” in the way I hoped. By the same token, one of my local shops had a big Meinl event where they got in a good amount of Foundry Reserve stock, so I got to try several out, and some were more exciting than others. There was one that I totally loved, but it was like $600.

As expensive as Agops are, there are enough of them on the used market now that they are a good bet for a somewhat lower price.

I can’t speak for the zildjian stuff but I absolutely love my Meinl Foundry reserve hats and 18” crash.

They are just super versatile and beautiful cymbals

Oh man....you guys are gettin me ancy to thumb a ride over to YouTube and listen to some foundrys. See ya later.

I now use 2 KCon rides as my main crashes. A 22" Medium Thin Low, and a 22" Overhammered Thin. They are huge no doubt, but so lush, dark, and crash like a dream. The OT is much thinner obviously, and is a perfect crash/ride.

K Cons were great when they first debuted. But one thing I’ve noticed about Zildjian is how whenever they introduce a new high-end series like the Constantinoples, Keropes, A Avedis, etc., the first batches I see in stores almost always sound terrific. But then a couple years later, all the ones I’m seeing don’t sound as good. Then a decade or more later, they all pretty much sound meh. I don’t know why, it’s almost as if they’re hand making the first ones and then later start mass producing them.

So I used to love K Cons, but not all that much anymore. I have played a couple Foundry Reserve rides at a store—a 22” ride and a 20” Light Ride if I remember correctly—and thought they sounded fantastic. Possibly even better than the original K Cons.

One more thing I can say about the Foundry Reserves is that they are extremely consistent.

Didnt have an opportunity to try them out in person so I did a lot of research via YouTube and Memphis drum shop. Across the dozen + 1/2 videos I watched, the crashes sounded nearly identical across sizes. Even Meinl’s demo sounded close to the two that I have now.

also, I love the look of the foundries.

Actually the Cons sound better to me now. I got their hat (modern) and Ren 22. 90s-00s they made everything too thick
Don’t get me wrong, I definitely hear some K Cons that still sound good. But it used to be that the vast majority of them sounded great. Now finding a great one seems more like finding a needle in a haystack. Well maybe not that bad, but the majority these days don’t really do anything for me.

Of course your definition of great may differ from mine.

Don’t get me wrong, I definitely hear some K Cons that still sound good. But it used to be that the vast majority of them sounded great. Now finding a great one seems more like finding a needle in a haystack. Well maybe not that bad, but the majority these days don’t really do anything for me.

They did change the hammering and lathe a bit too then if you change the weights too, it's almost like a new line. But this is broad strokes like you mentioned.

I never had any of their larger pies back then so can't comment much but maybe getting a well played Con now will be different too. The Rens came later but I just remember the hats specifically back then seemed a bit more modern sounding for louder settings and the one I have are a bit more softer towards a trad K.

Ok..just listened to some foundry reserves courtesy of Memphis drumshop. Crash?mmm no. Ride?..OH YA. Hats? I liked them because they had a nice strong cut even while playing them with the shoulder...THAT is my litmus test.

Arguing about whether cymbals are good or not is a bit like arguing whether mustard is good or not-- it's all a matter of taste and what works for you. That said, I've owned a LOT of K Cons and used them on all sorts of gigs. To my ears the post-2016 cymbals are better, more consistent, more versatile cymbals than the early ones. And it's not even close. The only thing I am sad about is that the old Medium Thin Lows made perfect crash cymbals, while the new ones don't. I think the new MTLs are better and more versatile ride cymbals but I liked how the old ones worked as crashes.

I don't know what'll happen now that Paul Francis is no longer with Zildjian, but most cymbal nerds I know think of post 2013 As and post 2016 K Cons as the best Zildjian has done in decades.

I´ve had my share of Constantinoples and Meinls and IME you might find what you want for less money in the Byzance line. At one time I had a Con Medium in 20" and a Jazz Big Apple Ride in 20" - I swear they sounded exactly the same. I also sold my 22" Con Bounce because the Byzance 22" Jazz Tradition Ride was extremely close but even better (to me). I´m talking about those specific examples I owned, of course - I´m just saying that there might be no need to pay Foundry Reserve money to get the K Con sound.
(Disclaimer: I no longer own any Z or M cymbals so I´d like to think I´m not biased either way. :) )

I am not really fan of either line to be honest . For Jazz gigs I would rather look for something from Istanbul Agop or Bosphorus . I also like the Sabian Artisan light rides more than any K Con or Meinl FR rides . The wonderful thing about cymbals is that there are so many choices that we can really dial in exactly what we want . Something I love may not be something you do .

K Cons, at the price they sell them, almost all of those I tried in store were not worthy of the price. Especially, like you said, compared to a K custom dark ride, about 200CAD less and equally sophisticated in my opinion. I had a better success by listening K Cons in recording and liking many of them a lot.. they must choose the better ones for recordings..

The one GetAgrippa uses sounds very good in recording, I think it's a renaissance?

Back