Just watched a terrific lesson with Steve Jordan.

C.M. Jones

"The extra space, instead of that push . . ." as Jordan states. Tony Thompson (Chic, The Power Station) made a similar observation in an interview I read back in the '80s. It's about letting your grooves breathe, freeing them from the restriction of crowded patterns, and recognizing that the space between notes is just as musical as the notes themselves. Great stuff. What we don't play can improve what we do play. We just have to hear the vacancy, which, paradoxically, is occupied space with a silent voice.

I've always admired Jordan, going all the way back to his David Letterman days.

Last edited:

iCe

The vid below is one of my favorite drum videos around. Really don't know him besides a couple of vids, but that groove is so addictive.
Almost dare to say it's the best solo without being a solo haha. Groove made perfection :)

Houndog1964

The vid below is one of my favorite drum videos around. Really don't know him besides a couple of vids, but that groove is so addictive.
Almost dare to say it's the best solo without being a solo haha. Groove made perfection :)

I watched that a lot myself .

moxman

Silver Member
I had to learn a ton of stuff with Steve Jordan on drums many years ago.. simply awesome drummer, full of great ideas! If you want to up your game - just study how he plays.. it certainly upped my game!