Just Remembering Today

JohnnyG

Honorary Lifetime CEO
Staff member
Just a few thoughts as I sit at home today on this first Monday in May.

Memorial Day is a United States federal holiday which occurs every year on the final Monday of May.[1] Memorial Day is a day of remembering the men and women who died while serving in the United States Armed Forces.[2] Formerly known as Decoration Day, it originated after the American Civil War to commemorate the Union and Confederate soldiers who died in the Civil War. By the 20th century, Memorial Day had been extended to honor all Americans who have died while in the military service.

Thanks to all that paid the ultimate price.

To those who serve or have served, thanks for the freedom. The best we can do to honor these fine soldiers and the sacrifice that they made for this country is to be good stewards of this country both at home and abroad, as well as for future generations.

I had an uncle whom I never meet.He was KIA on 6 June,1944,during Operation Overlord,D Day,the invasion of Normandy

My uncle Freddy is buried in Normandy,France.

Every Memorial Day weekend,Forth of July and Veterans Day,I display his U.S. 48 star coffin flag in front of my home,to honor his memory and sacrifice.

When I die,my son John will do the same,as will my grandchild Kenneth.

There are some who believe we should try to forget the past.

If we do that,we forget the ultimate sacrifice of some and dishonor their memory.We also doom ourselves to repeat history,by not remembering the past and learning by the mistakes of that past.

Forgive,yes.....forget, hell no.

Steve B

Back