Just pulled the retirement trigger

Cmdr. Ross

Platinum Member
After 23 years in Corrections for the state of Arizona, I filled out my paperwork.
Feel sorta numb about the whole thing as I still have 2 weeks to go and I don't think it's sunk in yet.
When I consider I've spent a quarter of my life in prison, it's a lot to just walk away from.

I'm taking a job in a local school where my wife teaches. Having the same schedule and time off during the summers will be a treat. Not to mention the availability to play more gigs just opened up! =-D

Good times ahead as I begin a new chapter.

After 23 years in Corrections for the state of Arizona, I filled out my paperwork.
Feel sorta numb about the whole thing as I still have 2 weeks to go and I don't think it's sunk in yet.
When I consider I've spent a quarter of my life in prison, it's a lot to just walk away from.

I'm taking a job in a local school where my wife teaches. Having the same schedule and time off during the summers will be a treat. Not to mention the availability to play more gigs just opened up! =-D

Good times ahead as I begin a new chapter.

Hey man! Congrats on your change. Corrections seems like it might have some stress associated, so maybe that's another silver lining here that you might be able to relax on a big scale.

Know how you feel about walking away from things too. Feels weird. I get the same feeling when I move out of a house or apartment I've been at for a long time.

Congrats on the retirement. Four more years for me!! ...Then I can go get that part-time job I've always wanted. :-/

With the new job, remember that they are kids, not inmates.

Although, being a teacher, I sometimes feel that I'm teaching future inmates. :-(

Congrats to you. I can't imagine retirement (yet)

but if you've spent 23 years working in prisons, and you say thats a 'quarter of your life'....then you're 100 years old!?

Last edited:
Congratulations! Retired Police Officer here, and it is a lot to walk away from. You have dedicated your career to the service of your fellow man, and you should be proud. Start the next chapter of your life with your head held high and enjoy a long and happy retirement.

I retired 2.5 years ago after 15 years working at the hospital. Monday thru Friday 7 to 4PM and then boom, no schedule. My advice find two hobbies. One large muscle activity, and one small muscle. Drumming works and then something that requires small, hand work and makes you concentrate to keep the brain working and concentrating. I am doing woodworking and doing those things like math, close work, etc. Don’t let yourself get bored. Good luck

Congratulations. I always love to hear when people can do it.

I have been doing what I do for 33 years, and there's no retirement on the horizon. Not because I don't want to, but because I can't.

Again - congratulations and enjoy. More time for music.

Congrats. I too work in a prison here in Boston. I'm not a C.O. but rather an I.T guy, computers, cameras etc. Hoping to make my move in two years at 66.

Enjoy yourself you earned it. Play those drums more :)

Check your age for retirement. Im guessing 66.5. I stayed until 67.5 tk get another 8 percent per month. Of course if money is no object?

Congratulations-you've earned a break. I have so many friends who feel trapped in their jobs-tired of doing it for so long but don't know what they'd do without it-though they can afford to retire. I think part is the work culture and ethic that often drives us-we often identify ourselves by our jobs-though personally I think that has little to do with a persons identity (I was a research scientist/educator and my best friend is a welder running a machine shop so job wise we'd appear to have little in common). Gruntersdad has some great suggestions-find new hobbies, cultivate the ones you have, I've always enjoyed gardening and working outdoors -ironically I was usually stuck in a lab or office with no windows, but maybe that's it. Anyways enjoy you'll find you still will likely work-just now you won't get paid.

Congratulations! Retired Police Officer here, and it is a lot to walk away from. You have dedicated your career to the service of your fellow man, and you should be proud. Start the next chapter of your life with your head held high and enjoy a long and happy retirement.

+1 I volunteered for a number of years working at a maximum security prison for teenagers. Nothing but respect for those who serve and protect.

Sounds like a solid "lane change" in service to teaching our youth.

Enjoy all that extra time off with your wife. Better purchase a bigger Day Timer to handle booking all those additional gigs.

I just turned 17 so I have still yet to get into the world of work. Hope you enjoy your retirement!

Many Congrats! Enjoy retirement and HAVE FUN!

I got 11 more years until retirement. Good info on finding things to do and keeping busy. The thing that scares me the most is 1) major health issues for me and my wife, and 2) keeping busy and not getting bored.

Congrats on your new direction in life! Can't say I'm not a bit envious, but I haven't put in the years yet like you. :)

Back