Just Got Tama Classic Pedal!

mrfingers

Does anyone have any issues with it the pedal nicking or denting the wood on their bassdrum hoops? I see that there is no padding built into the pedal (like there is on a DW 5000 or the slick looking padding on the Sonor Perfect Balance). It would, I'm sure, be easy to adhere some rubber to the metal contact points though...

I'm thinking about getting one for my new G. Way kit with a 20" kick. I'm still using the single pedal portion of an old Pearl Eliminator double pedal, and it doesn't fit super nicely between the bottommost tension rods due to the claws (I LOVE the claws though).
That’s what old batter heads are for: cut out one 6” square, score two lines in the center about 1/4” apart, using an old ball-point pen, fold the plastic and trim to fit onto the hoop. Make two cuts in the center to allow the plastic to curve then slide your pedal onto it. Keep it for other hoops if needed.

That’s what old batter heads are for: cut out one 6” square, score two lines in the center about 1/4” apart, using an old ball-point pen, fold the plastic and trim to fit onto the hoop. Make two cuts in the center to allow the plastic to curve then slide your pedal onto it. Keep it for other hoops if needed.
Interesting, I might look into that! I just got one of these pedals the other day and really like the feel so far. Unfortunately I had to leave on a trip right after getting it so haven't sat down to play as much as I would like, but I love how it adjusts vertically. It also has a solid feel. Some of the other simple pedals seem to lack power (cams?) but this one feels pretty right to me.

Intuitively, rubber appeals to me for the non-slip aspect, but we'll see what I end up going with.

romicsteve

What does the Tama Classic weigh? I am intrigued by the design, but I'm on the light-weight hardware path, so it would need to be similar in weight to my trusty Yamaha 7210.

Icetech

Gold Member
When I saw this pedal I realised that the drum industry has completely run out of ideas. Theres only so many ways you can hit and make a drum and they've all been done, no matter what marketing tells you.
I don't believe that... there are still innovative people out there coming up with ideas.. look at the drumnetics pedal.. no springs at all, i have had one for 4 years and it should last a lifetime. It's still just a kick pedal but way outside the box compared to most.

fl.tom

What does the Tama Classic weigh? I am intrigued by the design, but I'm on the light-weight hardware path, so it would need to be similar in weight to my trusty Yamaha 7210.
Hopefully someone here who owns one will chime in, but IIRC the HP50 weighs about a pound more than the FP7210.

My FP7210 weighs ~2.9lbs although I've made a few mods to it that may throw off the default weight by a few ounces... biggest weight-wise being replacing the chain with a cutdown Gibraltar Kevlar strap.