Just got a Speed Cobra

drummingman

Gold Member
I just picked up a speed Cobra double pedal. Got it all set up tonight and wanted to share my thoughts on it so far. I tried the first generation of the Speed Cobra back in 2010 and did not like it because the footboard and heel plate was not a smooth transition, there was a dropping off to the heel plate. This has been corrected in the new Speed Cobra which makes it feel completely seamless from footboard to heal plate. When I first set up my new pedal tonight the chain on the main pedal was making a ton of noise. It was the kick back of the Cobra coil making the chain rattle. As soon as I took off the Cobra coil the problem went away and the pedal felt much better. Much to my surprise the tension of the Springs of both the main and slave pedal felt absolutely perfect out of the box. I honestly don't think that has ever happened on any pedal that I have ever bought. So that in itself was awesome! Adjusting everything was really easy and it was quite easy to get everything dialed in to my liking.

So far I would give this pedal a 10 out of 10 as it's smooth as butter and plays absolutely wonderful. The construction of the pedal is amazing and the fact that it comes with a killer hard case is a huge plus. I'm truly hoping that the pedal holds up to years of play as I really like it so far.

I am making the switch from an Axis A longboard double pedal. While that is also an amazing pedal it is definitely an acquired taste. It's the best direct drive pedal on the market in my personal opinion. But the feel is definitely unique to the Axis line of pedals. It's something that I haven't been able to get used to in about 7 months. So that's why I started looking for a new pedal. So far the speed Cobra feels so much more natural to me. I know this all comes down to personal preference and playing style though. And I am by no means saying anything bad about Axis pedals. They are amazing. Just a unique feel that you will either get used to or not.

So far I would say the best pedals that I've ever played on would be the Speed Cobra and the Mapex Falcon and the Axis A long boards (All double pedals), and I would highly recommend any of them. But if the speed cobras hold up for years I can definitely see myself staying with them for a long time if not permanently (as long as the new upgrades that Tama may make in the future stay to my personal liking, meaning if I ever need to replace my current double pedal for any reason).

Hope this helps anyone who may be in the market for a new pedal!

I love my Speed Cobra and have 2, which I use exclusively. 1 for gigging, packed and ready to go, 1 for practice at home. Bought the first on sale at GC, the 2nd used at GC.

I had searched for 2 years to replace a late 90s DW 5000, immediately liked the feel of the pedal motion and overall construction quality.

I've replaced the beaters on both pedals, one has a Ludwig Atlas beater, the other has the VickKick felt beater.

Also like the Speed coil, doesn't seem to interfere with the pedal's action and it gives a little extra force to the rebounding.

Very solid and smooth.

I decided to give the SC another try with the new version. The upgrades are very significant, particularly the new spring assembly and redesigned heel plate. I play Axis, but I play the Cobras regularly despite the radically different feel between these and Axis.

Regarding the chain noise; the coil is rebounding the foot board ahead of the beater rebound off the drum head. This can be fine tuned by moving the coil forward (less impact on the foot board) and slightly tighter springs (to minimize any space between foot and pedal on rebound). Frankly if you do a lot of quick actions like double strokes, I'd just move the coil all the way forward. It's of no use for fast ankle motions, and only really works as it should during moderate speed (leg motion) when your foot always somewhat pressing on the pedal. It's not designed to facilitate speed, it's designed to minimize fatigue. A very important distinction.

I decided to give the SC another try with the new version. The upgrades are very significant, particularly the new spring assembly and redesigned heel plate. I play Axis, but I play the Cobras regularly despite the radically different feel between these and Axis.

Regarding the chain noise; the coil is rebounding the foot board ahead of the beater rebound off the drum head. This can be fine tuned by moving the coil forward (less impact on the foot board) and slightly tighter springs (to minimize any space between foot and pedal on rebound). Frankly if you do a lot of quick actions like double strokes, I'd just move the coil all the way forward. It's of no use for fast ankle motions, and only really works as it should during moderate speed (leg motion) when your foot always somewhat pressing on the pedal. It's not designed to facilitate speed, it's designed to minimize fatigue. A very important distinction.

Thanks a lot for that tip. I was always wondering why I felt resistance on the pedal when doing fast patterns. I should have figured this out (duh moment for me). I just pushed the coil all the way forward and will try it out. Thanks again!

Guys,

need some advice, I have the old Iron cobras first gen, they start to ware out now and looking for a new pedal.
Was thinking in buying the new SC, as I'm not a fast metal player should I buy the 910LN version or the simpler 310 version?

should I pay the extra hundred dollars for the 910 or buy the 310?

Let me know what you guys think

Guys,

need some advice, I have the old Iron cobras first gen, they start to ware out now and looking for a new pedal.
Was thinking in buying the new SC, as I'm not a fast metal player should I buy the 910LN version or the simpler 310 version?

should I pay the extra hundred dollars for the 910 or buy the 310?

Let me know what you guys think

I have the 910 and love it. Someone at my rehearsal space uses the 310. While I couldn't tell you all of the specific differences between them, I think the 310 only offers beater angle adjustment, which is directly linked to the footboard angle, while the 910 offers both adjustments independent of one another. I also remember thinking that the 310 looked like a cheap knock-off of the 910 and was put-off by it rather quickly.

So, if not the 910, I'd probably go with a newer IC.

Back