Just got a Fibes kit!

SgtThump

Platinum Member
Just got this set today! I know the diameters are 22" kick, 13" rack tom, 16" and 18" floor toms. I'm not 100% sure on the depth, but I'll measure them and report back.

I got them locally and the seller seemed to know quite a bit about them. He said these are Jasper maple shells. I've heard of Fibes drums, but never heard them played until today. These suckers sound killer! Very big sounding and cool looking!

Seems like the general opinion of these modern Fibes kits is that they are excellent drums?

Chris

Attachments

SgtThump

Platinum Member
Oh yeah, I also got an old Slingerland 14" x 6.5" chrome on brass snare in the deal. I'll post pics of that too sometime, because I'd like to know more about it.

Drumolator

Platinum Member
I used to have Corder drums that were just like those, same lug, drum hardware, shell, etc. I was not too wild about the bass drum legs, but they worked. Those are excellent drums, and I hope you enjoy them. Peace, goodwill, and blues.

SgtThump

Platinum Member
Thanks guys! I'm obviously pumped about it. I would've loved to get a 24" kick with it, but this 22" sounds great.

I actually traded my blue glass DW Collectors kit for it (22, 12, 16). I compared them side by side and this Fibes kit fits my needs better.

I'm not sure just how fair the deal was, but I'm certainly happy about it!!!!

MikeM

Platinum Member
Awesome looking drums! I love that configuration. Mine is very similar and I like it a lot. If I had to guess, I'd say it looks like a 13x9, 16x16, 18x16, 22x16.

Killer score!

criz p. critter

Silver Member
That is one awesome kit! I would love a set of Fibes, and the blue color is gorgeous. That's a trade I would have made, too, with no regrets. Congrats!

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
Congrats! Very pretty! For you historical buffs, Fibes became Corders in the 80s or so. So these Fibes are new? I don't recall if they made a full come back. Fibes is what Billy Cobham played on the famous Spectrum album, but they were clear acrylics.

bobdadruma

Platinum Member
No Bo, unfortunately Fibes struggled for many years but they couldn't make it back to life.
This is probably one of the last kits that had the Fibes brand on them.

Deathmetalconga

Platinum Member
I used to play a Fibes kit in a church, very similar to that but natural finish. They are superb quality drums. You have a very good drum set. Congrats.

MikeM

Platinum Member
... the blue color is gorgeous. That's a trade I would have made, too, with no regrets. Congrats!
+1. Stunning color. I like blue but haven't seen many that I've really been taken by, but yours is definitely one of them. A keeper, for sure!

8Mile

Platinum Member
Bo beat me to it, but whenever I think of Fibes, I think of this pure awesomeness:

Congrats on a beautiful kit!

SgtThump

Platinum Member
Compare that Fibes video I just posted today with the one below of my DW kit and let me know what you think. I know what I think. ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E5MF7xQdy6I

That video was shot a few weeks back, but it's the same camera/mics, same room, etc... So comparing that DW video to the Fibes really gives you a decent idea of the differences. They are stunning.

MikeM

Platinum Member
Def like the Fibes kit better. Kick drum is super solid and I like the 13" much better than the 12" on the DW. Some of that could be tuning issues, but I have an 8x12 and a 9x13 and I almost always use the 13" (the 12" just doesn't have the power and tone I like). Even with those things in mind, the Fibes drums sound richer and more open somehow.