Just Bought a late 60's Luddy Kit

bobdadruma

Platinum Member
Some new spurs and a new way of configuring the kit.
I added some. "Ludwig Atlas Anchor" bass drum spurs. They work great! The bass drum has more volume and punch. It is nice to be able to adjust the height between the BD and the floor by turning the tips of the spurs and locking them with the art deco set screws. The spurs have a 2 1/2" range of length adjustment. The spurs in the pic are lengthened by 1 1/4". The pictured spurs are on a 20" BD with 8 lugs so they are mounted higher from the ground than they if they were mounted on a 22" BD with 10 lugs. The drum is 1/4" higher in the front than the batter side.

I have split my floor toms and I now place the 14" to the left and the 16" to the right.
Change is good! :)
I have found white plastic automotive body fasteners to plug all of the factory holes that were left in the drums from the hardware that I removed when I installed the new Ludwig Atlas Mounts on the high toms and the bass drum. I also used them to fill the holes where the original rail consolette was mounted on the BD. You can see two of them in the second picture.

Attachments

Last edited:

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
Bob the drums sound top notch. You did a nice job recording. Sounds like a flat EQ with no effects, which I appreciate. Is that the way you did it? If so, then even nicer job on tuning and mic placement. They sound very natural. I liked how you didn't ignore the toms. I don't like it when people do these recordings and play kick hat and snare the whole time. These recordings are mainly to hear the drums! So great job. I think even White Chocolate would agree.

bobdadruma

Platinum Member
Thanks Lar, I panned the mic's a bit. I added a slight amount of compression. I also boosted the mids and the lows slightly. I experimented with using the stock mufflers and studio rings but I soon realized that these drums are fine when they are, "Au natural" :) I placed a rolled up hand towel in between the pedal and the bass batter head.
I really love this kit. I have had it for just over a year now and I never get tired of playing it.
It has become part of me and I will never part with it. I never transport it, it just stays right where it is. I play it privately and when muso's come to visit my humble abode for musical mayhem. I can't get enough of its full bottom end even though I tune it at medium tensions.
These drums have a warm power band that is so soothing.

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
Looks great Bob.

On a scale of 1 to 10, how much does it bother you to have 2 different badges on the the same kit. My WMP Luds...the 13" tom has a different badge. I've learned to let it go, it's a stupid concern.

bobdadruma

Platinum Member
Looks great Bob.

On a scale of 1 to 10, how much does it bother you to have 2 different badges on the the same kit. My WMP Luds...the 13" tom has a different badge. I've learned to let it go, it's a stupid concern.
Thanks Lar;
BADGES,,, I DON'TCARE ABOUT STINKIN BADGES!!!
Let It go Larry. The 12" B&O tom is a 69. The other drums are 68 and the 14" FT is a 66. These drums fit together perfectly sound-wise, so nothing else matters :)
The fact that the kit is slightly eclectic makes it all the more real to me. Every drum has its own personality. The modern cookie-cutter predictable rules don't apply and that changes the game up a bit..