Just Bought a late 60's Luddy Kit

mrmike

Silver Member
Thanks for the info Bob. I believe it's that thick ply of poplar in the middle is what gives these drums that great sound! I love my orphan kit but man I want one in WMP!

tamadrm

Platinum Member
Pieced together kits...I don't think Ludwig has ever sold a set with consecutive serial numbers, so if you think about it, they're all pieced together anyway. As long as it's period correct, that's about as good as it gets with Ludwig. Not a knock, just reality.
Larry,Ludwig like it's contempories of the same era,had bins with badges in them,which were in no particular order.When a worker mounted a badge and grommet on a shell,they just grabbed whatever was there.Thats why serial numbers on the badge when used as a method of dating a drum are not precise and are approximate only.

So if the badge numbers were close,it only meant that the kits was assembled during a shorter time period,say within weeks or months.

Drums were warehoused and when orders come in,they were put together as a set.

The other big three basicly did the same thing,but I think you could have a consecutive badged kit custom ordered.Ludwig was very obliging in the day.

Steve B

bobdadruma

Platinum Member
That's right tamadrm, the shells just sat as a circle shaped 3 ply board while waiting for the final assembly which would have involved the glueing of the scarfed edges, addition of the ordered wrap color, and installation of reinforcement rings.
The shells that were to be lacquerer finished would have sat fully glued and ringed while waiting for an order.

tamadrm

Platinum Member
Bob,for a time,Precision was selling an "aged" slightly yellowish WMP wrap as well as a Slingerland inspired version of their WMP which had a slight blue tint to it.

Personally I love the slight tint on your drums.The faint yellowing just makes them look that much classier.Very rich looking.

The late 60's Ludwig version and the 40's and 60's WMP Slingerland used are to my eye, the most beautiful version of a classic wrap.My 47 Super Gene Krupa Radio king is in WMP and only slightly yellowed.With the nickel hardware it's a beautiful drum.

Steve B

bobdadruma

Platinum Member
I also love the charm of the, "Mellow Yellow" Steve.
BTW, I have the same heads on both of these drums and I tuned them the same way.
I can interchange them and I can't tell the difference in the sound. The 68 kit chokes at higher tensions before the 2012, but I expected that because the 2012 doesn't have re-rings.
My gig kit sounds just like my kit. It is a beautiful thing.
Proof that Ludwig got it right with the 2012 Club Date series.

Last edited:

tamadrm

Platinum Member
I think those club dates are a home run for Ludwig.You can't touch them for sound and build quality in that price point.

They are every bit a pro sounding kit.

Im glad you're happy with your Luddies Bob.Now you know why they were called "the greatest name on drums".

Steve B

bobdadruma

Platinum Member
Wow,Im really starting to feel these drums out, it is both awesome and awakening!
The last kit that I owned that tuned and played like this was my 60's Slingerland.
Even my mid seventies Gretsch kit that was a little bit quirky wasn't quite like this.
These drums have a life of their own. They are unpredictable. I simply love them. I never know how they are going to react to a tuning, or playing style. They have me completely baffled%&$#, I am off guard and out of control.

I am kidding of course but deep down inside I do kinda feel this way.
This is a different species of drum than I have known in the past.
I was a beginner when I had my Slingy kit so I never mastered it. I will however, master the tuning and playing these Luddies.
I was planing to play my new kit with my Jazz bud's on Monday last but I held off until I am more familiar with it.

Last edited:

bobdadruma

Platinum Member
Round edge drums that have the ability to take a medium tuning tension should be exploited for that ability Larry.
Many round edge kits can't sound like these drums at this tension. That is why I tuned them to medium tension.
I am showing off their range.

bobdadruma

Platinum Member
I want to have some snare buying fun.
I have decided that I want to buy a brand new Ludwig Black Beauty snare for this kit.
I have never owned a Ludwig metal snare before.
I do own a 75 Gretsch COB 10 lug with cast hoops which I love.

I want you ludwig guys to help me pick the proper one.
Please give me your suggestions that are packed with reasons why..
Millenium Throw?
5", or 6.5" depth?
Cast hoops?
Tube Lugs?
Etc.
Please feel free to add your two cents.
The sizes of the kit again are 20, 16, 13.

Last edited:

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
For you Bob, I would go with a 5", mainly because you do jazz stuff. Plus, in that era, did they even make 6.5 deep Ludwig snares? You didn't see many if they did. My only complaint with the P-86 is they use 2 proprietary screws as a pivot point. I lost one of those screws and it was difficult to replicate. So as long as they don't fall out, the P-86 is what everyone seems to prefer around here. Personally I never had any issues with the P-85. I'd say go Imperial lugs. As Jules says, nothing screams Ludwig like the Imperial lug. Looking forward to seeing/hearing you play it on the Luds.

tamadrm

Platinum Member
Yes Larry ,Ludwig did make 6.5x14 snare drums in the 60's .The LM 402 supraphonic,LM 411 supersensitive metal shells and for 3 ply wood shells the Symphonic,School Festival,Pioneer and Auditorium models.

Steve B

bobdadruma

Platinum Member
Thanks guys, I am leaning toward the 5" with Imperial lugs and cast hoops. I have what I believe is a P85 on my Club Date snare and It does stick a slight bit. I will go with the P86.
You confirmed what I was thinking.

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
Yes Larry ,Ludwig did make 6.5x14 snare drums in the 60's .The LM 402 supraphonic,LM 411 supersensitive metal shells and for 3 ply wood shells the Symphonic,School Festival,Pioneer and Auditorium models.

Steve B
Actually, and I didn't say it, but I was referring to 6.5" black beauties. Were they available in the 60's or whenever they re-continued the line?

bobdadruma

Platinum Member
The Black Beauty shell in 6'5 depth goes back to the 1920's as far as I know.
I have seen vintage deep shell Black Beauties on eBay in the past.

tamadrm

Platinum Member
Actually, and I didn't say it, but I was referring to 6.5" black beauties. Were they available in the 60's or whenever they re-continued the line?
Production stopped just before WW II.Ludwig resurected the BB in 77 and offered the 416 5",the 417 6.5 and 418/419 5" and 6.5 supersensitive.

Steve B

bobdadruma

Platinum Member
Production stopped just before WW II.
Steve, I am not sure what you meant by that?
Did you mean that production of deep 6.5" Black Beauties stopped before WWII?

I love this kit and I am slowly learning a lot about Ludwig history from the experts here.

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
Bob they stopped offering Black Beauties completely for many years, he's not just referring to the 6.5" depth. You couldn't get a new one for like 37 years, between the early 40's and 1977.

So anyone claiming they have a mid 50's BB is fibbing lol.