Just Bought a late 60's Luddy Kit

tamadrm

Platinum Member
Larry...confusion is what Ludwig did best in the 60's.Yes you will find keystone badged late 60's drums with clear interiors.

I have a 69 keystone badge blue oyster pearl(later bowling ball pattern) 22" bass drum with a clear interior that definately maple/poplar/mahogany.

The reason was that Ludwig was using up all of it's keystone badges before the transition to the B/O badge in late 69.

To add to that confusion,quite a lot of B/O 1970 badges were out of sequence or not numbered at all.but those drums were 3 ply maple/poplar/maple.

Steve B

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
Sounds like Bob got a bonafide transition set. Steve, would you say these transition sets fetch more money for rarity?

tamadrm

Platinum Member
Not really.Most collectors will write off a kit than dosen't closely match in serial numbers and manufacturing dates and consider it an "add on" kit.being that sometime after the basic say 2 pieces (13/22)were purchased,the the floor tom was added later.

Therefore in their eyes,it was not purchased as a catalog kit but pieced together.

While some of the time that's true,it's not always true....especially during the 60's and early 70's .In fact it wasn't even unheard of for Ludwig to ship a kit to a store with a combination of keystone,B/O badge and white and clear interiors to fill an order.

So if it was shipped from the factory that way...then it should be recognized as a set,and not pieced together.

When I was in high school,the local Sam Ash had a red sparkle double bass kit like that which was a cancelled order .It was shipped like that from Ludwig Chicago as all of the drums were listed on one invoice with one order number and all listed with with corresponding serial numbers.It even came with Paiste 602's which were distributed by Ludwig at the time and listed in their catalog.

You could buy a kit at the time, with or without Paiste 602 cymbals.

Steve B.

mrmike

Silver Member
...confusion is what Ludwig did best in the 60's.

To add to that confusion,quite a lot of B/O 1970 badges were out of sequence or not numbered at all.but those drums were 3 ply maple/poplar/maple.

Steve B
So true. The pic of the shell I posted was a BO pointy badge I got off of ebay. Another random BO pointy badge I got off of ebay was also maple/poplar/mahogany as well as the BO pointy badge kit that I was adding them to. I have never seen a true maple/poplar/maple shell from that period in person or on the net. Not saying they are not any but I think the maple/poplar/mahogany are the most common from this period.

bobdadruma

Platinum Member
So that means that if there is no original invoice available there is no way to tell if this kit was pieced together or sold as a kit.

It really doesn't matter to me either way.
I will be happy if the drums have not been rewrapped, the edges are good, and the drums are round.

I didn't question Maxwell's because I know that they would have disclosed if the drums were rewrapped.
They always give an accurate description in their ads.

So, who is going to buy the Champagne Sparkle kit??? :)

I just received an email from Jess at Maxwell's. They are going to ship on Monday or Tuesday of next week.

Last edited:

tamadrm

Platinum Member
No worries there Bob.Steve is a straight shooter and has a stellar reputation in the vintage drum market and he would have said the drums were re wrapped.The WMP wrap on them looks to be period correct for late 60's Ludwig.

The patterns of WMP change between different makers and time periods so if your drums were re wrapped,then someone would have to use the 60's wrap that was exclusive to Ludwig,and somehow firure out a way to yellow it.

They would also have to figure out a way to remove that last inch or so of wrap from the scarf joint without the whole drum delaminating.Like I said,I've never seen that done sucessfully.without damaging the drum

I'm pretty certain yours are the real deal because Steve would check the kit over to make sure HE wasn't getting a re wrap and paying fon an original kit.

Steve B

bobdadruma

Platinum Member
My impression is, and has been from the start that this is a somewhat rare 20,16,13 kit that was ordered by someone during the late 60's and the drums have stayed together over the years. There is no way to prove it 100%, but at the very least these drums are of the same vintage/era.
I will show photos of the shell interiors, date stamps, etc when I receive the shipment.

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
Pieced together kits...I don't think Ludwig has ever sold a set with consecutive serial numbers, so if you think about it, they're all pieced together anyway. As long as it's period correct, that's about as good as it gets with Ludwig. Not a knock, just reality.

bobdadruma

Platinum Member
That's correct Larry, That is the way that it is/was.
Ludwig made drums back then and they stockpiled them until they were sold.
End of story.
They had no idea that the drums would be collectors items 40 years later.

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
I'm excited for you Bob. I never saw a keystone badged clear interior set before so I curious about them. The maple/poplar/maple shell is reportedly William Ludwig Sr's. favorite shell.

I RIM's mounted my Ludwig rack toms because the Ludwig mount kills the sustain. Sacrilege I know, but tone is king. Nothing that can't be undone.

bobdadruma

Platinum Member
I'm excited for you Bob. I never saw a keystone badged clear interior set before so I curious about them. The maple/poplar/maple shell is reportedly William Ludwig Sr's. favorite shell.

I RIM's mounted my Ludwig rack toms because the Ludwig mount kills the sustain. Sacrilege I know, but tone is king. Nothing that can't be undone.
Larry, I grew up with a 60's Slingerland kit with a shell mount on the high tom. I also played my mid 70's Gretsch kit with 4 shell mounted toms for decades.

I removed the suspension mounts and I shell mounted the high tom on my Mapex Saturn Manhattan kit and also on my Ludwig 2012 Club Date SE kit because I prefer a shell mounted tom and the sound that it delivers.
To me suspension mounts are sacrilege :)
I have the Vibraband in storage from the 13 inch tom that came with my Club Date kit so I actually could install it on the 60's kit if I wanted to.

I studied the badge pictures that I posted of my new kit. I can see through the vent holes on two of the pics. I can see clear wood on the interior in one pic and white on the interior of another. The third pic shows black in the vent hole so I can't tell.

Oh, Thanks drumdevil9 :)

Last edited:

bobdadruma

Platinum Member
Fedex is supposed to bring the kit to my workplace tomorrow.
I will post a full set of unboxing pics probably on Thurs because I won't have time until then to do so :):):)

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
Oh boy Oh boy Oh boy Oh boy Oh boy Oh boy Oh boy Oh boy Oh boy Oh boy Oh boy Oh boy Oh boy Oh boy Oh boy Oh boy Oh boy Oh boy Oh boy Oh boy Oh boy Oh boy Oh boy!