Just Back From a Ludwig Factory Tour... Any Questions?

Thanks for the post toonamike !! I just received my 18” floor tom factory fresh last week. :)

Our tour guide was Ludwig's design engineer, so, yes, we talked about snare throw offs. I think we will see some pretty cool stuff coming out of Monroe.

Did he mention anything about bringing back the Super Sensitive models?

You guy's are probably right. 1970's 1980's it's all a blur for me now anyways.

Did he mention anything about bringing back the Super Sensitive models?

I DID ask about the Super Sensitive. Ludwig is nearly out of parts and no full strainers are in stock. The problem is the nylon / plastic piece that connects the throwoff to the snares. It sounds like Ludwig doesn't want to invest in a new version of the SS strainer.

That being said, it wouldn't surprise me if the SS made a return at some point, probably as a special edition of some sort.

Current models are brass.

I think they went back to brass in the mid 90s. The bronze BB's were from a pretty short time period, which is why they're so rare now.

Ludwig didn't introduce bronze shells until after Selmer bought them. I'd guess the 80s bronze shell Black Beauties were a cost-cutting move, but I think purists "convinced" Ludwig to return to the original shell material.

Cool pics! I love seeing the insides of factories and how things are made.

Makes me appreciate the hard work that went into making my Classic Maples!

Can any old chap off the street call/email and schedule a tour?

The ATLAS mount is probably one of the BEST inventions to ever come from Ludwig, and dare I say drum manufacturers in general. I use them on all my drums, Ludwig and non-Ludwig where they can fit.

That would be cool to see a reissued BB Bronze. I currently use a TAMA SLP Bronze snare and I have come to really love the bronze sound.

I don't know if you inquired about this or not but I'd be interested to learn if Ludwig will ever be doing some sort of "Ringo" signature snare that replicates the 5.5x14 Jazz Festival he's used on just about every Beatles recording?

what is this exotic wood called?

44vOjy6UGgXUxVQSSUOCxNzLkD_JcP4JqP_jW4RNffU3YdTbVxaK7vZEpg48XmiT8I8ccXqHO7HnaVfeXMLEx7oFrj5zy28Vgp6BU5CFq6N578dtuQf5xaXlSlzSANGyEc4ALpRDcCSzX21zocVUoXcWJ6xRiDOtKyPpDShDPJqX2wRAdIMbFcaGMLwoGP995zjTGQ6dPhdML8B2VmNcifCq6d1hmR4TLZVSwqY9MH-zdwROxi-Fd32ZNZP7cqjPUbKosDJIMI1MAqMrQe-p69eCQD0vVIbMG2UxLPfQqNZtpFtzSkUixKaTwablxmeYhkmrLmWOA3lo1JZ6YnGuA2zoVxh6xK5R_uEwTVY4ldk9riEfMy3hQl1VgWBKbbyt5L3SfQs1z_8_U4XUVbnGv75XnNh_WEVs6dKO-aMgk_woaaI1bOOyO9n1sHW1wW6lIMRpm0cU3in3su3wX24VfaBySD72GXAE40lgLEl7kkKsmUYHoU1Pb-IsKGckiEu0aEs629nepfsFh7v9PdIXkC8usuoImMaHcdS37X_248r0BiyDVxI47_wJD9oRkj4W_WOCQMT0PVSA9s7LVNdzc0rwEYFq0mUAYy8g3rr-JHpTTXV_HQCqnBGeyDIngvRDNdBIeNoM2VhBRUa1Ktn6qP18GGwc3k95ntoQsIVTV0-GcwVuR37YYTKRW8dAweOx-RPFkvhf5ZeRs4ar6Q=w1497-h1995-no

Thanks for the post!

Did you ask if they are ever going to resurrect the Speed King Pedals, or any of their other "classic" hardware, like the 1123-1 "Spur Lock" Hi Hat stand, or the 1400 flat base cymbal stands (Actually Tama beat them to it on the 1400's...............)

what is this exotic wood called?

I can't remember. Since I bought a kit in the spring, I didn't pay much attention to the kits that were on display.

The finish is more than a gloss. I think it is a tobacco burst or something to that effect.

I don't know if you inquired about this or not but I'd be interested to learn if Ludwig will ever be doing some sort of "Ringo" signature snare that replicates the 5.5x14 Jazz Festival he's used on just about every Beatles recording?

Do a Google search for Starr Festival snare drum.

I'm mentioned that I'm a big Beatles fan, so I got to see the prototype shell that became the Starr Festival. Ludwig went back to the manufacturing process used in the 50s and 60s, which involves sandwiching the ends of the shell, including the wrap.

This process isn't used any longer, so the Starr Festival snares were made by hand. Ludwig made all the shells, which were then assembled by Ringo's drum historian.

Thanks for the post!

Did you ask if they are ever going to resurrect the Speed King Pedals, or any of their other "classic" hardware, like the 1123-1 "Spur Lock" Hi Hat stand, or the 1400 flat base cymbal stands (Actually Tama beat them to it on the 1400's...............)

We talked Speed King. It's the pedal I started on. There's no plan to bring it back. The thought is that the modern player doesn't want the Speed King's design.

As far as cymbal stands go, I think the company line would be to take a look at the Atlas Classic line.

https://www.ludwig-drums.com/en-us/ludwig/products/atlas/atlas-classic

Do a Google search for Starr Festival snare drum.

I'm mentioned that I'm a big Beatles fan, so I got to see the prototype shell that became the Starr Festival. Ludwig went back to the manufacturing process used in the 50s and 60s, which involves sandwiching the ends of the shell, including the wrap.

This process isn't used any longer, so the Starr Festival snares were made by hand. Ludwig made all the shells, which were then assembled by Ringo's drum historian.

I'm very familiar with the Starr Festival snares but at $30,000 each, I'm hopeful that someday Ludwig will offer a "Ringo" tribute model for the common made (minus the signed shell) at a fraction of the price.

I DID ask about the Super Sensitive. Ludwig is nearly out of parts and no full strainers are in stock. The problem is the nylon / plastic piece that connects the throwoff to the snares. It sounds like Ludwig doesn't want to invest in a new version of the SS strainer.
Weird. You'd think that it would be simple now that we have 3D printers.

We talked Speed King. It's the pedal I started on. There's no plan to bring it back. The thought is that the modern player doesn't want the Speed King's design.

Thanks for the reply. That's very disappointing. Clearly they don't think much of their client base that's over 40 (i.e not the "modern player"). Not everyone who goes to their website or uses their products is under 40. I know a TON of people that would want it to be re-issued again. People above 40, you know, the people that usually have the most money to spend!

Well, I can see Ludwig waxing nostalgic in a few years and re-issuing the Speed King as a limited edition for $400 a piece (since we are the ones with the most money to spend). Hey, if they actually thought re-issuing the new Acrolite snare for $400 was a good idea (when you can find a "real" vintage one all day every day for $150 or less), why not?

Back