Just Back From a Ludwig Factory Tour... Any Questions?

What's the story behind that blood-red Supra with the brass hardware?

It's a prototype finish. A steel shell was dipped into a goo (my word, not Ludwig's) that binds to the shell. Think of it as a liquid version of a car wrap.

All three drums in that photo are prototype finishes. I don't know if any of those options will enter production.

Great stuff. I'd like to take that tour someday.

Those timpani shells look like giant dinosaur eggs. LOL

Great stuff. I'd like to take that tour someday.

Those timpani shells look like giant dinosaur eggs. LOL

The tour is well worth the trip.

The timpani kettles arrive to Monroe unpolished. We didn't get to see it in action, but there is a robotic arm that grabs the inside of the kettle, then lifts the kettle into the polisher.

Even though I currently own no Ludwig drums, I have great respect for them. Thanks for sharing those pictures. Peace and goodwill.

It's a prototype finish. A steel shell was dipped into a goo (my word, not Ludwig's) that binds to the shell. Think of it as a liquid version of a car wrap.

All three drums in that photo are prototype finishes. I don't know if any of those options will enter production.

Cool info! A Supralite with a funky finish could be a nice cheaper counterpoint to the patina finishes they're doing on the brass/bronze/copper Supraphonics.

I know they are always tinkering; when I toured the factory 20+ years ago they had a bunch of powercoated Speed Kings and other various bits of hardware. They never released any of that (unless I just missed it) but it was cool to see the ideas on display.

I see you got to meet "Miss Ann" who I believe is responsible for wrapping just about every drum that comes out of the Monroe plant.

I think there is something special about being able to see where instrumental are made. I love how some of these companies have employees that have been there for decades building drums/cymbals. I had moved away from playing Zildjian until I took a tour of the factory (I am lucky to work right up the street from the gactory). Meeting the workers and seeing the care and effort they put into there jobs really made an impression on me and prompted me to sell off my Byzance and Paiste and buy Zils again.

Did you ask them when they're finally going to make a decent snare throw off? (runs for cover ;)

Did you ask them when they're finally going to make a decent snare throw off? (runs for cover ;)

Our tour guide was Ludwig's design engineer, so, yes, we talked about snare throw offs. I think we will see some pretty cool stuff coming out of Monroe.

I see you got to meet "Miss Ann" who I believe is responsible for wrapping just about every drum that comes out of the Monroe plant.

My friend and I spent a lot of time talking with Miss Ann. She showed us every wrap Ludwig has in stock. Her least favorite wrap is chrome; it marks very easily and is difficult to work with.

Miss Ann originally worked in assembly. She put together tons of Rocker sets, which was the first new product to come out of Monroe. Miss Ann and others shared time wrapping drums. Eventually, she moved to wrapping full time.

I think there is something special about being able to see where instrumental are made. I love how some of these companies have employees that have been there for decades building drums/cymbals. I had moved away from playing Zildjian until I took a tour of the factory (I am lucky to work right up the street from the gactory). Meeting the workers and seeing the care and effort they put into there jobs really made an impression on me and prompted me to sell off my Byzance and Paiste and buy Zils again.

Agreed. After seeing the process, Ludwig drums are an amazing value for the price. The Neusonic drums are made in the same molds as the Legacy and Exotic shells.

Any talk of bringing back the bronze black beauties like they made in the 70's?

Any talk of bringing back the bronze black beauties like they made in the 70's?

No, but I didn't ask that specific question. The shells are sourced from an outside company. I suppose it would depend on whether the vendor can make that shell.

They are buffed and assembled by Ludwig.

They offer bronze Supraphonics. All they would need to do is plate it in black nickel.

Or just make them exactly the same way they did back in the 70's.
I think I've found my new platform!
(it seems everyone has to have one of those these days)

The 70s Black Beauties were brass. The late 80s-early 90s BB's were bronze.

Current models are brass. I just ordered one from SW, a 6.5" x 14" hammered shell with tube lugs. I also ordered a 5" x 14" Acrolite. I got great pricing from Sweetwater plus 48 months same as cash financing.

I ordered a few other things, too. :D

Back