Junk Yard Pies

ShadoWReX

About 15 years ago a good friend came to me with an old Zildjian 18" crash/ride. Except for the expected tarnish there was nothing else wrong with this 30+ year old Z. He told me that his friend -who owns a metal scrap yard found this in "the pile" and asked him to show it to me to see if I was interested...
Of course I was and when I asked how much Les wanted for it he said "whatever you feel its worth", as a joke I said $5! After he said fine, I ended up giving him $10. He went on to say that Les gets "loads" of old cymbals which are sold for scrap!!!
I told him that I'de pay Les $5 for each cymbal he found -regardless of condition. I was initially concerned about doing this as I was convinced I'de only get ruined cymbals. But I wanted to make sure that the scrap guys would make sure I got all the cymbals that came into the yard.Within one month I got about 5 more, all but one had cracks, but the 12" old Z was perfect, but tarnished -so for $25 I got another great sounding Z.
This went on for a couple of years with most of the cymbals damaged, but at least 25 were in fine shape with two being old K's from Istanbul signed on the inside bell!
Most were Z's, several Paiste's & Sabians, a couple unidentifiable.
Some of the damaged ones were salvageable with unique sounds.
Wanted to share this with other drummers. I imagine that there are a lot of beautiful -but dusty cymbals being trashed. I envisioned a family cleaning out Uncle Joe's house, finding a couple of dusty tarnished cymbals -"Oh Yeah, Uncle Joe had a drum set that he got in the 40's..., but these aren't worth anything -look at how dirty they are!"
How often does this occur???
Just passing along something that cost a few $'s and paid off in spades.
Good Luck!

Attachments

ShadoWReX

Yes, that's why I paid $5 per. I could stop at any time and as said, the scrap guys are in it for the $'s, as well they were not getting $5 p/cymbal when they were scrapped -it was a win-win.
As I said in my initial post -there were several no-name cymbals -probably a Sears type that really doesn't compare to a Zildjian -but they sound great as an accent cymbal -like a caustic china type.
It really paid off for me.