Jumping/Standing on the bass drum

Neil

Hey guys,

The guys in my band have been chatting on how to improve the stage show of our gigs. Along with all the other suggestions of banter between songs, crowd participation etc. I suggested that if the singer or any other member would like to jump off my kick then go ahead.

Has anyone got any suggestions for some precautions to prevent damage? I'm thinking of lowering the spurs so the hoop touches the stage. Or created a little bracket for the bass drum to rest on, to spread the weight across more of the drum.

Unless he's a little wispy Scott Weiland size guy, I wouldn't do it. You'll end up cracking your bass drum eventually.

A bracket strong enough to take your singer's weight wouldn't look too good unless he's, as TTNW says, an itty bitty man. Not sure how you could disguise it.

Maybe erect some scaffolding around your kit for that industrial look? :) Bear in mind that OH&S regulations would require your singer to wear a hard hat and harness when he's up there - heavy duty industrial!

I think before you guys try this with your crappy drums, you should go out and buy a double bass DW or Pearl Reference set up so he can get both feet on a drum. It will be sooo cool.

...ask a question and get shot down.

Ok So clearly this isn't a favourite amongst other drummers, with their non crappy drums.

The only thing that worries me is the kick getting cracked, however, once everynow and again isn't going to hurt.

I would avoid it... You put your kick at risk of getting ruined and your band mate might get hurt. There are some other forms of stage presence that can make a good show.

your band mate might get hurt

Hmm, that's a good point, I wouldn't want that to happen, although it's ultimately his responsibility I would wouldn't want my permission for him to do so end up in his broken ankle or something.

Ok so I'm back to Glow Sticks, anyone have any experience with them ;)

I saw a clip of Keith Moon climbing up and over his kit,At the end of a show.I must admit ive always wanted to do that,it looked Really cool,Bit your talking about something that a drum isnt made to do.....Not very practical....But VERY COOL...........

Neil, dunno if it helps but I'm not judging.

Iggy Pop wasn't worried when he rolled in broken glass on stage - nor was his manager, who said, "Iggy just had too much blood in him". It didn't worry Moonie when he trashed kits right, left and centre. Some boys just enjoy being wild and rock n roll has had more than its fair share of crazies.

It's risky to play football and bungee jump and to smoke and get blotto drunk and to fight etc etc. In the end people do these things at their own risk with an attitude akin to Cranky Frankie's famous line ... "I want to live, not merely survive".

Life often entails risks. One of the biggest risks of all is getting married - but we keep doing it like lemmings jumping off the cliff. They say the biggest risk of all is not to take any risks. So, it's their call if doing things that risk the wellbeing of drums and bones floats their boat, as long as they go in there with eyes open and are prepared to cop the consequences on the chin if things go pear-shaped. And as long as it doesn't hurt anyone else, of course ...

Pros: Fun to do, entertaining to audience.
Cons: Possible broken kick drum, possible injury.
Worst case (unlikely but everything is possible): The singer falls badly and snuffs it.
Worst case of gigging: Car smash on the way and you snuff it.

Just make sure your singer goes on a strict diet before he gets up there :)

Having someone jump off of or standing on my bass drum is about as appetizing to me as well.... hrm, I can't think of anything. It's pretty bad, though, in my mind. Besides, let him jump into the crowd and body surf or mosh or something, if the crowd is big enough. Crowds love interaction more than showy antics, though they'll take those over nothing at all.

This is why I had a fairly large drum riser - my guitarist/lead singer guy could climb up on it, look almost as cool as being on my bass drum, but, you know, wasn't on my bass drum. It worked well.

Aagggghhhh......dude, for the love of god, NO!!

Saw an oversized bass player step up on a guys kick once and cracked the shell as he went to jump off. Ended in tears. We got a laugh but the poor sod who owned the kit didn't. The climber was no whippet.......and the bass drum was no more. They are definitely made for drumming, not climbing on.

Drums are musical instruments, treat them as such. If you need more entertainment in your act, rent a clown.

Dennis

Aagggghhhh......dude, for the love of god, NO!!

Saw an oversized bass player step up on a guys kick once and cracked the shell as he went to jump off. Ended in tears. We got a laugh but the poor sod who owned the kit didn't. The climber was no whippet.......and the bass drum was no more. They are definitely made for drumming, not climbing on.

No whippet ... LOL!

Would have liked to have seen that gig, PFOG. A bit of mindless slapstick ... like adding a segment of Australia's Funniest Home Videos to a gig :)

I remember playing at a band comp in my teens and we were bombing ... one, because we were weak players and two, the acoustics in the town hall were abysmal. In what I think must have been desperation our singer hurled himself into a wall to lived things up. It certainly got us smiling. The judges loved it and we came third. If I remember correctly he was a little dazed for a few moments afterwards.

A victory for style over substance lol ... people seem to prefer even dumb style to none.

Drums are musical instruments, treat them as such. If you need more entertainment in your act, rent a clown

HA! That might be worth looking into, anything to improve the show, maybe we can all turn up in one car. :)

Anyone get audeince member up on the stage up to play their drums?

No whippet ... LOL!

Would have liked to have seen that gig, PFOG. A bit of mindless slapstick ... like adding a segment of Australia's Funniest Home Videos to a gig :)

I remember playing at a band comp in my teens and we were bombing ... one, because we were weak players and two, the acoustics in the town hall were abysmal. In what I think must have been desperation our singer hurled himself into a wall to lived things up. It certainly got us smiling. The judges loved it and we came third. If I remember correctly he was a little dazed for a few moments afterwards.

A victory for style over substance lol ... people seem to prefer even dumb style to none.

It was hysterical Poll......for all but the kicks owner. A real Spinal Tap moment. Unfortunately, neither style nor substance prevailed in their case.

Anyone get audeince member up on the stage up to play their drums?

Only mates to drum, but we used to get girls up to sing BV's on things like Mustang Sally et al, often with our cover bands. They loved it and from where I was sitting........so did I!! :)

Have your guitarist light his guitar on fire. If that doesn't get the crowd excited, light your guitarist on fire.

Hey guys,

The guys in my band have been chatting on how to improve the stage show of our gigs. Along with all the other suggestions of banter between songs, crowd participation etc. I suggested that if the singer or any other member would like to jump off my kick then go ahead.

Has anyone got any suggestions for some precautions to prevent damage? I'm thinking of lowering the spurs so the hoop touches the stage. Or created a little bracket for the bass drum to rest on, to spread the weight across more of the drum.

Our guitarist did this to me once. And I lost it. Totally lost it.

Did I mention I play a cheap fiber-board drumset? And I still lost it!?

I wouldn't recommend it. It's more than just tearing up my expensive hardware, I think it's kinda demeaning to me...

Ask if you can jump off the grille of his amp!

Back