July Concert with my band in Newtown Ct CTV video

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
Bob, your band sounds terrific. Loved your drumming. Kind of a lesson in jazz standards. I loved the way you made it feel. I like this band. Cool name too. And you're looking good there big guy. A very enjoyable concert indeed. I watched about 20 minutes of it and listened to the rest. A great soundtrack to my Sunday. Thanks for putting it up.

Numberless

Platinum Member
Bob, your band sounds terrific. Loved your drumming. Kind of a lesson in jazz standards. I loved the way you made it feel. I like this band. Cool name too. And you're looking good there big guy. A very enjoyable concert indeed. I watched about 20 minutes of it and listened to the rest. A great soundtrack to my Sunday. Thanks for putting it up.
I am 45 minutes in, I'm hoping they play Boplicity jajaja

bobdadruma

Platinum Member
Thanks all, It was a tough gig. It had been hot and humid for weeks in the New England. It rained all that week and the weather broke just long enough for us to get that gig in. It stopped raining a few hours before we played and it started again a short while after we finished. it was like the Tropics. The temp was about 92f that evening. I had worked all day in an auto repair shop in the heat and I was pretty beat up by the time that we set up. It was a true test of my stamina.
I played four outdoor gigs with two different bands in July, and all of them were miserable because of the hot humid New England weather.
August was much better thank God :)

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
You would never know from the video that you worked all day and you were in 92 degree heat. You must be SuperBob.

bobdadruma

Platinum Member
I was like my friend the duck. I looked serene above the surface, but I was paddling like hell to stay on course.

dmacc_2

Purely enjoyable Bob.

You guys cover a wide range from Birdland, Stolen Moments, Take 5 (with your cool solo no less), Watermellon Man, Sister Sadie, A Train, etc...

Nicely done. Thanks for posting/sharing.

Andy

Administrator
Staff member
Sorry Bob, I completely missed this. Man, that humidity sounds terrible. Kudos to you for keeping it steady & cool in those temperatures.

The band has a great easy vibe feel to it. No hurry, just a group of guys making music & having fun. That's rare these days, & delightful.

Kit sounded good too, as did your steady playing. Got to ask though, song starting at 5:00, was the big tempo shift at 5:24 in the plan? (I don't know the original)

bobdadruma

Platinum Member
Sorry Bob, I completely missed this. Man, that humidity sounds terrible. Kudos to you for keeping it steady & cool in those temperatures.

The band has a great easy vibe feel to it. No hurry, just a group of guys making music & having fun. That's rare these days, & delightful.

Kit sounded good too, as did your steady playing. Got to ask though, song starting at 5:00, was the big tempo shift at 5:24 in the plan? (I don't know the original)
Thanks dmacc, and
Thanks kis;
To answer your question. The sax player didn't get the memo about changes that we made to that tune. The rhythm section sent out an email to everyone stating that we were going to play it uptempo. We started the tune as discussed but the sax came in like a turtle on Valium! It was actually kind of funny to watch the look on his face when we started the song. He tapped his foot at our tempo and just couldn't pull it out. I chewed him a new one at the next practice in true, "Buddy on the bus" fashion. :)

Both of the sax players in this band don't practice enough and I am always on their cases about it.
I play in another jazz band with more accomplished players. That band doesn't gig, but is much more rewarding to play with them.

camcoman

Bob,

Enjoyed this immensely, killer set list, perfect for a sweltering summer night. Good thing you weren't using calf heads, you would've been screwed :-{)> None the less your club dates sounded awesome. Were they just mic'd on the bass drum and an overhead?

bobdadruma

Platinum Member
Thanks camco. There was a mic on the snare too. They were mixed through the double Bose towers with two big sub woofs. There was no sound man so the drums weren't adjusted for the brushes. Thats why they were a bit low in volume. We set the levels at sound check and played without further tweaking.
Those Bose PA towers were donated to the folks of Newtown by Bose and Guitar center after the Sandy Hook tragedy. They are awesome!

Yea, calfskin heads would have been a real bitch :)

Last edited:

Anon La Ply

Renegade
Sorry about being late to the party, Bob. Have heard the early part so far and I really like the band and the drumming. You are solid, tasty, tasteful and nuanced. Wish I was there! Love the repertoire - so many great songs.

Last edited: