Judge Says Teen Drummer's Playing Isn't a Nuisance

I'll bet the Judges decision would have been completely opposite if that kid lived next door to the judge. I love my drums and drumming, but there is no way I would be cool with that racket going on next to me daily, hours on end.

Think about... Step back from your own set. All you hear as a neighbor is thwap, bang , crash, thump, thump,thump. For 3 hours straight? This is not a guitar that might at least resemble a melody. It's just noise. That's not lawn mowing or a leaf blower. That is equivalent to a dog barking incessantly. Unacceptable in any neighborhood. HOA or not.

I'm supportive of the arts, but you the artist, must take steps to be respectable to those around you.

If I have to shut my windows on a beautiful spring day or can't sit on my deck because the constant noise is ruining my day, I'm going to be p*ssed and I'll be having a discussion with drummer and family a lot quicker than this story.

I'll bet the Judges decision would have been completely opposite if that kid lived next door to the judge. I love my drums and drumming, but there is no way I would be cool with that racket going on next to me daily, hours on end.

Think about... Step back from your own set. All you hear as a neighbor is thwap, bang , crash, thump, thump,thump. For 3 hours straight? This is not a guitar that might at least resemble a melody. It's just noise. That's not lawn mowing or a leaf blower. That is equivalent to a dog barking incessantly. Unacceptable in any neighborhood. HOA or not.

I'm supportive of the arts, but you the artist, must take steps to be respectable to those around you.

If I have to shut my windows on a beautiful spring day or can't sit on my deck because the constant noise is ruining my day, I'm going to be p*ssed and I'll be having a discussion with drummer and family a lot quicker than this story.

It's not your right to have everything "just so" or in your vision. The law passed down the judgement and it was a reasonable judgement based on noise levels set by the governing body. The drummer has rights and you (the neighbor) have rights...they are objective, not subjective. The ordinance is there for a reason.

If you were my neighbor, the first thing we would do is get the SPL meter out and measure the sound level. If I was violating, then I would stop. Period.

If I was not violating, then I would continue and you would have to accept a little noise for a few hours, during the day...of someone doing something that you may not like. I've been through this whole process with one my neighbors already and it's a dead end street. I've had the cops to my house on 2 occasions due to this neighbor..they have participated in the SPL measurement...I'm still playing my drums every day. So, you see, the legal system establishes....based on objective data and health effects of SPL levels....what is acceptable during what hours. I must work within those levels and so must everyone else.

Since I'm not a small person or unfit, I doubt any neighbor would suggest physical violence....but I would not participate because that too is a dead end street. You lose whether you win or lose....it solves nothing.

The world is not cooked to suit....it is not yours/it is not mine...and you nor anyone else can have everything just the way we would like it. I would like to have a bass player to my house and play for 4 or 5 hours each day...I can't do it. Some neighbors would like to have calm and quiet all day (and hoses in the demarcated designated spots, no children playing in the streets, garbage cans retrieved and stored 2ms after the truck comes along, nobody owning a vehicle that does not fit in their garage) and they can't have it.....

thats the way the world turns baby...deal with it or move

Last edited:
. I've been through this whole process with one my neighbors already .....

Heh heh, that explains a LOT about the attitude :)

Different people make the world go round. If a neighbor asked me to quiet things down, I'd simply comply instead of going the "Eff you, I'm legal" route. I think it makes me a better person.

If a neighbor asked me to quiet things down, I'd simply comply instead of going the "Eff you, I'm legal" route. I think it makes me a better person.

And you would be correct.

"Just because you can doesn't mean you should".

Back