Joyful Noise snare "club"

wcbrown

well, after much soul searching and well, lusting, i finally purchased a Joyful Noise beacon bronze 6 1/2 X 14. it showed up at my office yesterday, and i really haven't had much time with it yet, that includes serious playing time and pictures. amazingly heavy, this series is thinner shelled than the "studio" line, and this weighs 10lbs.!! i can only imagine how much one of those babies weigh, beautiful drum, i really like the simplicity and function of the strainer. i DID buy new Remo ambassadors to replace the "stock" JNDC logo heads, i will tuck those away, hey, original anything adds to value down the road. i am also contemplating a new stand, i currently use a Gibraltar JZ snare stand, and i LOVE Gibraltar stuff, but i'm thinking it may be a bit "shakey" for this beast. especially for such a $$ pricey investment.

10 lbs - nice!! I love heavy drums - I just got a Keplinger and it's nice and heavy!

Please post some pics - they're such great looking drums. Yes, Curt is a great guy - I bought some brass rims from him last year - so nice to deal with...

Have fun!!

I am a member of the "club" as well with a 6.5x14 legacy maple snare. It's awesome, everything I wanted in a wooden snare. I love the simplicity and low profile of the strainer too, cool design. Curt is a great guy and very knowlwdgable. You'll get years of enjoyment from that drum, it sounds incredible. I took off the stock heads that came with mine too. I play in a louder amplified situation for the most part, so coated ambassadors sounded a tad thin and weren't durable enough on the maple snare. I use a coated emperor or G2 and it sounds fat and powerful with a nice high "pop" with balls. Congrats on your purchase!

Attachments

• joyful1.JPG
    joyful1.JPG
    50 KB · Views: 1,783
Beautiful stuff.
The strainer is very cool on them too.

Put me in the "loves heavy snares" column too.

Enjoy your drum!!

Welcome to the club! I have two: TKO brass and soared copper. Want a legacy maple one day if Curt ever builds more. Enjoy that amazing drum and pls post pics.

I'd sure like to join that club ... the TKO brass snares are the bomb, IMO. Someday.

here's a photo
007_zps42ec8003.jpg
[/IMG]

Last edited:
Congrats on the new drum. I tried out the JNDC Beacon ser. #1 in Portsmouth NH and was very impressed. I almost bought it, but decided to go with the NOB to arrive that I had Curt build for me. They are one of a kind!

Those are two of my favorite JN snares...just curious, if you could only keep one, which one would it be?

The copper is amazing but that TKO is in a special league all by itself. I'm a semi-pro, occassional weekend warrior playing bar bands. I can only imagine how the TKO would sound in the hands of one of the greats. Tried posting pics but this forum doesn't like the file size. May not be cool to link to another forum but it's the only way I can share the pics. Scroll down to find my JN pair. http://www.pearldrummersforum.com/showthread.php?265299-Family-Stroll-Outside&highlight=

Just checked the link, awesome snare collection! Enjoy those JN snares, they truly are amazing.

i apologize for my childish rantings. i had NO reason to do that other than stupidity.

Last edited:
WOW!!
something i hadn't really thought much of until today. there is a LOT of splay in the tension rods on this, I'm not so sure I'm real happy about that. I have a Ludwig COB 5 X 14 w/tube lugs and P-86 strainer I bought in 2008 and it is afflicted with the same problem.
cddrums21 look how nice and clean your rods are........i am not a real happy camper right now.

It looks like the worst of it is on the bottom hoop. With tube lugs being so rigid, that can't be good. I'm sure Curt will take care of it if you contact him.

W.C. Brown, I didn't notice anything until you mentioned it. It does look like the bottom lugs have a bit of "splay/angle" that isn't apparent on the top or on any other JN snare I've ever seen. Hmmm...don't really understand that as the lugs are all the same and straight as an arrow. I don't really know why that is happening? Curt is a stand up guy and if you send him those pics and talk with him, I'm sure he will take care of you. For the cost of a JN snare, it should be perfect in every way for you. Let us know how you make out.

oh absolutely!!
it is really disheartening to see this from JNDC.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Joyful-Noise-Beacon-Bronze-6-5x14-Snare-Drum-/290774039095

here is the Fork's sale I bought the drum from, look at their photos.
Ok, if you can really see the lug splay with the naked eye, then it's certainly something to take up with JN. It's never good to rely on photo's, especially as they can skew the image. From a builder's POV, It's unusual to see splay on only one side of the drum, as the usual culprit is shell undersize/lug undersize/incorrect gasket or no gasket application. The only reason I can see for this, if the photo is representative, is a difference in hoop hole PCD. It's just possible there's a variation from batch to batch/supplier to supplier. In any case, if it's the hoop at fault, that's an easy rectification.

JN make, IMO, the best metal snare drums out there. There's certainly no better. I'm sure you'll reach a satisfactory conclusion.

Good luck, Andy.

Ooh man, that's too bad... Ironic because I bought Curt's brass hoops to minimize the splay on my Black Beauty. Please post how it goes with this...

Back