Jon "Bermuda" Schwartz here!

Bermuda, I had a fantastic time last night at Al's show. I've watched videos of your performances before but seeing you live was amazing. So many costume changes! Hope you enjoyed your brief stay in the apple capital of the world. Great job. Cheers.

Thanks! :)

That's a great feature, Jon.

Your career is strikingly similar to my own. Minus the 39-year career as the drummer with a major artist who has a long resume of hit records and has become a pop-culture icon. Other than those things, I feel like I'm reading about my own career in music.

That's a great feature, Jon.

Your career is strikingly similar to my own. Minus the 39-year career as the drummer with a major artist who has a long resume of hit records and has become a pop-culture icon. Other than those things, I feel like I'm reading about my own career in music.

Thanks, and most musicians' careers share a common context - play music, hopefully enjoy playing, hopefully grow as a player, and hopefully make some money. Obviously the big variables are the amount of money made and the level of exposure, but everyone is essentially going through the same motions. When I'm not on tour, I'm playing clubs and bars like most other musicians.

Bermuda

Hi Bermuda,

Question for you regarding ride cymbals. If I remember correctly I recall you owning and using a Sabian 22" HH Raw Bell Dry Ride. Does this cymbal have the same characteristics as the 21" size or is there a little more wash to the sound? Thanks!

Bermuda, do you have any interesting stories you can share from the debut studio album session or supporting tour?

Probably much more than anyone wants to read here! Will save the details for my book.

But in a nutshell, the first album was recorded on spec(ulation) at the famous Cherokee studios in L.A., March 14, 1982. Yes, all tracks in one day. Rick Derringer* was producer and as we didn't have a guitar player locked-in yet, he also played on most of the album. :) The tapes were shopped and everyone turned us down except the Scotti Brothers, who apparently saw and heard something with Al. The album - with two additional new tracks - was released May 3, 1983. A short tour with Dr. Demento was arranged, a very leisurely 12 dates in 22 days (the cool show of that tour was El Mocambo in Toronto!) With two videos from that album, Al was the darling of MTV, who were hungry for material in their early days.

Bermuda

* There's a longer story about how Derringer got involved in the first place... you'll have to buy the book! :)

Last edited:
Whose spec(ulation)?
If you don't mind my asking. And I would totally read the book, but have to admit to being a library patron.

Whose spec(ulation)?
If you don't mind my asking. And I would totally read the book, but have to admit to being a library patron.

Basically, everyone involved: the studio, the engineer, producer (Rick,) and the band and other musicians (and I suspect the occasional bkg singers.) Everyone did eventually get paid, and the album eventually went Gold (20 years later!) Happily, future albums went Gold and Platinum much faster.

Bermuda

Bermuda, I saw y'all perform with the Monkees back in the 80s. My cousin Linda and I were obsessed with Al at the time, and my mom was in love with Davy Jones. We saw you at the Starlite Music Theatre in upstate NY. The stage was a circle in the center and it rotated. It was one of the most memorable shows I have ever seen, and the band being in the center and rotating made everything accessable to the audience visually. It will go down as one of my favorites.

Do you have a show that sticks out for one reason or another, or possibly a favorite, as performer and spectator?

Question for you regarding ride cymbals. If I remember correctly I recall you owning and using a Sabian 22" HH Raw Bell Dry Ride. Does this cymbal have the same characteristics as the 21" size or is there a little more wash to the sound? Thanks!

I've got both, but never compared them. While we'd like to think that different sizes of a particular model are consistent, that isn't always the case. It's the same when comparing the same model and size, and they sound and feel different. Cymbals are very individual.

So... I don't know the answer. :(

Bermuda

I've got both, but never compared them. While we'd like to think that different sizes of a particular model are consistent, that isn't always the case. It's the same when comparing the same model and size, and they sound and feel different. Cymbals are very individual.

So... I don't know the answer. :(

Bermuda

Understood, very similar to play a few crashes of the same size & model. Always a difference between them, it's the players ears deciding on which one is the best of the bunch. Thanks again for your reply, I appreciate it! :)

I was actually at NAMM the day that was shot, but I would have gone down just to surprise him!

thank you! :)

@bermuda I see that you are currently playing one of the Ludwig Neusonic drum kits and plan to try that out on the next tour. Any changes made to your cymbal lineup as well to compliment the kit? Interested is seeing what you are currently playing around with for crash cymbals. Thanks again!

@bermuda I see that you are currently playing one of the Ludwig Neusonic drum kits and plan to try that out on the next tour. Any changes made to your cymbal lineup as well to compliment the kit? Interested is seeing what you are currently playing around with for crash cymbals. Thanks again!

The Neusonics haven't been used in context yet, they arrived just in time for my gigs to get cancelled. But they do sound great, and I'm hoping to get a few size-finish considerations so I can take them on tour. That is, the finish is exclusive to 22/13/16 shells, and I've asked Ludwig for other sizes in the same finish. You'd think it would be simple enough, but nothing exists unless there's a specific stock # with every conceivable specification.

Touring crashes have been Sabian Paragons for a while, but I may try the Complex crashes. They have a really nice, even tone, whereas the Paragons have a bit of a midrange focus. They're also somewhat lighter than the Paragons, but I've been adjusting my playing over the last few tours and am using lighter sticks, so they may be durable enough for me.

In town, I use Vault crashes, typically a 15 or 16" on most gigs. If I need something that carries better, I drag out the 17-20" sizes. :)

Bermuda

Thanks again @bermuda for your reply! I'm actually hoping to go to the Sabian Factory in the fall and am hoping to try some more of the HHX Complex line myself.

They cut my final quip: And don't be surprised if someone says "Hey, nice rack!"

Back