Jon "Bermuda" Schwartz here!

JCRW82

I've got both, but never compared them. While we'd like to think that different sizes of a particular model are consistent, that isn't always the case. It's the same when comparing the same model and size, and they sound and feel different. Cymbals are very individual.

So... I don't know the answer. :(

Bermuda
Understood, very similar to play a few crashes of the same size & model. Always a difference between them, it's the players ears deciding on which one is the best of the bunch. Thanks again for your reply, I appreciate it! :)

JCRW82

@bermuda I see that you are currently playing one of the Ludwig Neusonic drum kits and plan to try that out on the next tour. Any changes made to your cymbal lineup as well to compliment the kit? Interested is seeing what you are currently playing around with for crash cymbals. Thanks again!

bermuda

Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator
Staff member
@bermuda I see that you are currently playing one of the Ludwig Neusonic drum kits and plan to try that out on the next tour. Any changes made to your cymbal lineup as well to compliment the kit? Interested is seeing what you are currently playing around with for crash cymbals. Thanks again!
The Neusonics haven't been used in context yet, they arrived just in time for my gigs to get cancelled. But they do sound great, and I'm hoping to get a few size-finish considerations so I can take them on tour. That is, the finish is exclusive to 22/13/16 shells, and I've asked Ludwig for other sizes in the same finish. You'd think it would be simple enough, but nothing exists unless there's a specific stock # with every conceivable specification.

Touring crashes have been Sabian Paragons for a while, but I may try the Complex crashes. They have a really nice, even tone, whereas the Paragons have a bit of a midrange focus. They're also somewhat lighter than the Paragons, but I've been adjusting my playing over the last few tours and am using lighter sticks, so they may be durable enough for me.

In town, I use Vault crashes, typically a 15 or 16" on most gigs. If I need something that carries better, I drag out the 17-20" sizes. :)

Bermuda

JCRW82

Thanks again @bermuda for your reply! I'm actually hoping to go to the Sabian Factory in the fall and am hoping to try some more of the HHX Complex line myself.