Jon "Bermuda" Schwartz here!

SteveSkyrm

Bermuda, Just listed to the podcast with Weird Al (from The Post?) - heard that the new tour is "unplugged". No costume changes, no props, no video screens. Sound like it will be very cool! We get to just enjoy the songs and the extremely talented band. :)

bermuda

Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator
Staff member
We still rock, the 'unplugged' term is a little misleading. But no costumes or videos, just us playing and singing.

Bermuda

alparrott

Platinum Member
I have my tickets for the "Strings Attached" show in my town and I'm pretty excited. I have a few friends on the local orchestra and I was idly curious how incorporating all these orchestras around the country is going to work. That is, if you're at liberty to share.

I imagine they will get sheet music and reference tracks ahead of time, but how far in advance? Is the band going to rehearse with an orchestra for the tour? Will video be taken and shared with the local orchestras? Inquiring minds want to know!

bermuda

Staff member
The orchestras will get charts closer to their respective dates rather than sooner. Hopefully the conductors will also get our clicks, as the countoffs vary (having been assembled and spec'd by me over a few decades, and yet to be standardized!)

No orchestra rehearsals needed before the tour, and we haven't yet determined how complete the daily soundcheck/rehearsal will need to be. Basically, the conductor and I are the links between the two groups, so he/she and I will probably end up going through some/all of the cues. A video at the least is a possibility to help us avoid running the whole show in the afternoon before we play it that evening. That would be kinda hard on Al's voice.

By the time Wenatchee happens, we'll have a workable system in place.

Bermuda

Lee-Bro

I had a group of friends over this weekend and they were excited about seeing you guys on July 3rd in Dayton, OH. I'm scheduled to be out of town and won't be able to join them. :-(

bermuda

Staff member
Cool, Bass Hall is very classy as I recall, perfect for us and an orchestra!

Bermuda

alparrott

Platinum Member
Bermuda, I had a fantastic time last night at Al's show. I've watched videos of your performances before but seeing you live was amazing. So many costume changes! Hope you enjoyed your brief stay in the apple capital of the world. Great job. Cheers.

GetAgrippa

Platinum Member
I bet that was a great concert, And now if you go to "Home" I'm on every section thread. A grand slam I want my points-I want my reaction points now. I just love seeing so much GetAgrippa. Yeah I know I need to Get A Grip of myself. Crap someone posted and ruined my Grand slam-so no reaction points I gather. Dagnabit. I'd love to see Al and Bermuda perform live.

bermuda

Staff member
Bermuda, I had a fantastic time last night at Al's show. I've watched videos of your performances before but seeing you live was amazing. So many costume changes! Hope you enjoyed your brief stay in the apple capital of the world. Great job. Cheers.
Thanks! :)

bermuda

Staff member

8Mile

Platinum Member
That's a great feature, Jon.

Your career is strikingly similar to my own. Minus the 39-year career as the drummer with a major artist who has a long resume of hit records and has become a pop-culture icon. Other than those things, I feel like I'm reading about my own career in music.

bermuda

Staff member
That's a great feature, Jon.

Your career is strikingly similar to my own. Minus the 39-year career as the drummer with a major artist who has a long resume of hit records and has become a pop-culture icon. Other than those things, I feel like I'm reading about my own career in music.
Thanks, and most musicians' careers share a common context - play music, hopefully enjoy playing, hopefully grow as a player, and hopefully make some money. Obviously the big variables are the amount of money made and the level of exposure, but everyone is essentially going through the same motions. When I'm not on tour, I'm playing clubs and bars like most other musicians.

Bermuda

JCRW82

Hi Bermuda,

Question for you regarding ride cymbals. If I remember correctly I recall you owning and using a Sabian 22" HH Raw Bell Dry Ride. Does this cymbal have the same characteristics as the 21" size or is there a little more wash to the sound? Thanks!

bermuda

Staff member
Bermuda, do you have any interesting stories you can share from the debut studio album session or supporting tour?
Probably much more than anyone wants to read here! Will save the details for my book.

But in a nutshell, the first album was recorded on spec(ulation) at the famous Cherokee studios in L.A., March 14, 1982. Yes, all tracks in one day. Rick Derringer* was producer and as we didn't have a guitar player locked-in yet, he also played on most of the album. :) The tapes were shopped and everyone turned us down except the Scotti Brothers, who apparently saw and heard something with Al. The album - with two additional new tracks - was released May 3, 1983. A short tour with Dr. Demento was arranged, a very leisurely 12 dates in 22 days (the cool show of that tour was El Mocambo in Toronto!) With two videos from that album, Al was the darling of MTV, who were hungry for material in their early days.

Bermuda

* There's a longer story about how Derringer got involved in the first place... you'll have to buy the book! :)

Last edited:

bermuda

Staff member
Whose spec(ulation)?
If you don't mind my asking. And I would totally read the book, but have to admit to being a library patron.
Basically, everyone involved: the studio, the engineer, producer (Rick,) and the band and other musicians (and I suspect the occasional bkg singers.) Everyone did eventually get paid, and the album eventually went Gold (20 years later!) Happily, future albums went Gold and Platinum much faster.

Bermuda